Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #18286
iconman
Good vibrations

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Between trying to buy a used S or SM, my big hang-up is being afraid that the SM with dirt wheels wont handle aggressive off road....

Help!!!
I bought an E then got a set of motard wheels made up from my local Suzuki dealer. The E is great off-road but I will need to get the suspension sorted a bit more for this type of riding. I use the bike in motard mode in summer as a commuter - its a great road bike, very light etc... I have a mate who has an S model and I couldn't spot the differences at first glance and I haven't ridden it yet.

Cheers, Richard.
98 Suzuki DS 80 Gone to a new home
iconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #18287
mineolaman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 51
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
agreed 100% for the rear.

the rear TM II is the best DOT knobby there is in the dirt, imho.

but it rounds off in about 50 miles on pavement...and the knobs completely disappear not too long thereafter.

i found the front TM II to be an even worse dirt tire than the 606 front, though, myself. washes out like crazy.

the front uses the same tread pattern as the rear...it's an awesome tread pattern for a rear tire (for getting good front-to-back traction), but makes no sense at all for a front tire (where you need more side-to-side traction).

imho, the best dirt DOT pairing is a TMII in the back and an XCMH in the front. only problem is that if you ride on the road much, the TMII will not last long at all.
Kenda K270. They are great in rock, loose rock, and wear great on the road. You won't be disappointed.
mineolaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #18288
Rwelch360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Been really busy with work/school. Do you have any experience with this product? Thanks again for the reply
Rwelch360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #18289
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Thanks, I'm leaning toward the bike that will perform off road best. But the SM is really tempting me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconman View Post
I bought an E then got a set of motard wheels made up from my local Suzuki dealer. The E is great off-road but I will need to get the suspension sorted a bit more for this type of riding. I use the bike in motard mode in summer as a commuter - its a great road bike, very light etc... I have a mate who has an S model and I couldn't spot the differences at first glance and I haven't ridden it yet.

Cheers, Richard.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #18290
Rwelch360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
Very common, the taller you are the more uncomfortable stock DRZ400 bar positioning is for adventure riding/standing up. Installing a new bar with the right bend to suit riders height/riding style is my preference, this avoids having to use bolt on raisers which can look scrappy. Scotts Performance do a very nice triple clamp assembly for the DRZ400, you can then run fat bars and even more options open up for bar bends (Renthal, Pro Taper, etc), plus they look fricken sweet

This is my setup with Scotts SUB Stablizer, Scotts Triple Clamps and Renthal fat bars (Details and links here )

If your clutch plates and fibers are in good nick and your clutch is adjusted correctly then you should be able to disengage a DRZ400 clutch with 2 fingers and not crush your other fingers. You'll most likely find correctly setting your free play will cure this issue
Thank you for that reply. I like your set up. I should look into that. Do you need to replace the whole triple, or do you just buy a top clamp? I want to avoid using any kind of riser. I was thinking of some CR high bend bars. I tightened up my clutch free play a little bit because my shifting was really notchy at times and would stop in neutral a lot instead of going to 2nd, since then it seems to be a bit better.
Rwelch360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #18291
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Sportsman Class Motard...

Quote:
Between trying to buy a used S or SM, my big hang-up is being afraid that the SM with dirt wheels wont handle aggressive off road....

Help!!!
I have raced at supermoto tracks with DRZ400 SM'S and DRZ400S models and this crazy fast dude on a 400 S...with a sportsman set up...21"x18" Avon Gripster tires and a big front rotor was faster than anybody that day I just spooned on a set of Shinko 705's on my 09 S and they stick to pavement pretty good.... only takes about 1 hour to swap to my Dunlop knobbys if out at Ocotillo Wells...Fun little bikes...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #18292
focallength
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 4,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwelch360 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Been really busy with work/school. Do you have any experience with this product? Thanks again for the reply
ASVs are top shelf, yes theyre expensive, but theyll never break. After you snap 6 or 7 cheap levers, you would have already paid for a set. Plus you dont have to carry spare levers, pay now or pay later.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #18293
iconman
Good vibrations

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
ASVs are top shelf, yes theyre expensive, but theyll never break. After you snap 6 or 7 cheap levers, you would have already paid for a set. Plus you dont have to carry spare levers, pay now or pay later.
Just bought a set. Cheers.
98 Suzuki DS 80 Gone to a new home
iconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #18294
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 226
My DRZ400 tank was suffering from some war wounds, a little intervention required…

Full article here: Fuel Tank Protectors

Full article here: Fuel Tank Protectors
Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #18295
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
I have raced at supermoto tracks with DRZ400 SM'S and DRZ400S models and this crazy fast dude on a 400 S...with a sportsman set up...21"x18" Avon Gripster tires and a big front rotor was faster than anybody that day I just spooned on a set of Shinko 705's on my 09 S and they stick to pavement pretty good.... only takes about 1 hour to swap to my Dunlop knobbys if out at Ocotillo Wells...Fun little bikes...
So, I guess an S will do...eh?

How fun is an SM off road though, with off road wheels?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #18296
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
So, I guess an S will do...eh?

How fun is an SM off road though, with off road wheels?
Theres a few long threads on TT that cover the SM off roading, jumping, dirt wheels and all that stuff, lots of good info there.

If you are vertically challanged, id get the SM, here is my S with a SM

Im only 5'9, so on the SM i can flat foot, which i really liked, bike seemed way lighter too, because all the weight is lower, i do some pretty hard trails over here, so i enjoy the bigger wheels, but the SM model with shinko 244's front and rear, is also very capable on the dirt,

how tall are you?

The SM with 50/50 tires such as the kendas or shinkos, can pretty much handle anything off road, as long as the rider can ride, ive seen some great off roading vids.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #18297
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

I ride a Tiger and enjoy the height of it, can see over cars etc...

I'm 6 1 and really want a bike that is fairly high, especially with good suspension for the occasional catching air opportunities...

From your pictures the S looks a tad taller...I'm really wanting an SM and then get a set of wheels with knobbies...BUT I'm finding the prices are just a tad higher for the SMs.

Maybe I should check out some SMs off road via youtube...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #18298
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
Air/fuel mixture help Immediately

Hey all,
So, I hauled my 2012 DRZ400 up to Big Bear Lake (altitude 6,300 ft) and tried to fire it up this morning. After engaging the choke, it fired right up, ran for about a minute, then stalled. I had a really hard time getting it going again. Every time I got it fired, same thing, run for a little bit, then stall out. Fuel if full and fresh. Ran it all weekend at Death Vally and no issues. Not sure if this altitude required a mixture adjustment.
Unfortunately, I don't have a manual and left the dealer book at home. I don't even know which is the mixture screw.
I really want to ride today so any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE

So, Lior, a super great guy, called me back on his day off. He talked me through possible problems. After I hung up with him, I checked some wiring at his suggestion. Still no good. Then, I noticed something. If I gave the throttle three twists, the bike would fire up for a few seconds. Hmmm, thought I, obviously a fuel issue. I looked at the petcock and noticed an open nipple. The vacuumhose had come off of here. Plugged it back in, problem fixed. This might help someone else in the future.

Thanks,

THRASHED

THRASHED screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 10:17 AM
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #18299
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
Hey all,
So, I hauled my 2012 DRZ400 up to Big Bear Lake (altitude 6,300 ft) and tried to fire it up this morning. After engaging the choke, it fired right up, ran for about a minute, then stalled. I had a really hard time getting it going again. Every time I got it fired, same thing, run for a little bit, then stall out. Fuel if full and fresh. Ran it all weekend at Death Vally and no issues. Not sure if this altitude required a mixture adjustment.
Unfortunately, I don't have a manual and left the dealer book at home. I don't even know which is the mixture screw.

Thanks,

THRASHED

The fuel screw is at the very buttom of the carb, by the engine side, (not the air boot), kind of hard to reach, i put a extneded fuel screw in mine.

try having it out 3 turns and see how it does, you will need a short small flat head screwdriver to get in there, you can try loosening, both clamp on the boots and try rotating the carb a bit, will be easier to get to.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #18300
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRASHED View Post
. I don't even know which is the mixture screw.

UPDATE

Plugged it back in, problem fixed. This might help someone else in the future.

I am glad u got it solved. Here's where it is for future references.