Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #18301
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 227
Thanks guys. @Ron, I'm definitely going to install the extension. It's running good, but not great. It's popping a bit on deceleration which is telling me it needs a small adjustment, but I'm not going to mess with it this weekend.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #18302
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineolaman View Post
Kenda K270. They are great in rock, loose rock, and wear great on the road. You won't be disappointed.
How much life do you get out of these? Do you recommend the front too?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #18303
SteveROntario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzilla View Post
Does anyone have a source for the stainless steel counter shaft spacers?

I contacted this guy, he is all sold out, doesn't sound like there are plans to make more. On top of that, shipping from the UK and the exchange rate made it a bit steep for a spacer.

http://members.multimania.co.uk/mgmo...z_spacers.html

I've also been watching fleabay for a while, no luck.
There are couple companies selling spacer/seal kits now but I'm not sure what material they are made of.

Don't bother dealing with the guy you listed, he doesn't have any stock at this point. He hasn't had wheel spacers for over a year and still hasn't changed his website.

Steve
Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #18304
bastardbiker
Lost in the Void

Oddometer: 278
Yo everybody! I bought a DRZ400-s early this year and wanted to weigh in on a couple of things if nobody minds...

For the dude deciding between the S and SM models: Go with the S. Like dude said, the inverted forks don't have any real performance advantage, and in my opinion they are at a disadvantage for hardcore off roading because they are more exposed and could get scored by rocks and crap if you go down on rough terrain. When off roading, ground clearance is a huge issue. The S model with big wheels has lots more clearance. It makes a difference. Wheelies are easier with a high center of gravity anyway ;) If you want to hit the road hard just keep an extra set of street tires or better yet wheels around to pop on when you feel like it.

As for tires, I switched from from the mostly dirt dunlop D606 to a Shinko 244 "Golden Boy" trail tire. It has loads of grip compared to the Dunlop and is much more stable! Very confidence-inspiring on the road for such an aggressive tread, and so far great in dirt too, and I take it some muddy places... One of the cheapest tire sets you can get for the S wheels too, about $100 for the set! Supposedly the tread life is good. Can't go wrong.

I also just want to say, I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!

bastardbiker screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 03:34 PM
bastardbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #18305
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
As for tires, I switched from from the mostly dirt dunlop D606 to a Shinko 244 "Golden Boy" trail tire.
I might try those later this year, when I burn through my D606's.
What size are you using? (they are in inches, stock size would be 4.3" wide... they have 4.1", 4.6" and 5.1")

I try to stay on the dirt with the DRZ, but I wouldn't mind a tire that is a tad less squirmy on the pavement. I do love the 606's in the dirt though.

Let us know how the wear is on the Shinko 244's. I would like to hear, because the way I ride, I think the 606's won't last much over 1500mi.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #18306
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
I put 5k miles on a rear shinko 244 on my previous bike (Yamaha XT250), sold the bike and it still had some thread on there.

So far i got 2k+ miles on my Front/Rear 244's on the Drz, the front is still pretty much like new, the rear i would say is at %75+ life left.

My neighbor has the D606'S, bike has a little over 2k miles on it, and he is allready on his second set.

The shinkos do good pretty much everywhere, especially on the street, (i have the bike in the 90's pretty much every time i come back home from the trails, they do fine at those higher speeds) not too bad in the mud/rain either.

When this set goes, ill be ordering another set, cant beat the $90 price tag for a front/rear shipped.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #18307
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

I would probably run that rear, but a more aggressive front. I hate the wash out feeling on gravel roads. D606 has none of that

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 04-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #18308
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I would probably run that rear, but a more aggressive front. I hate the wash out feeling on gravel roads. D606 has none of that
Pirelli XCMH is a GREAT front tire, much better then the front shinko, but also cost about 80 bucks, it was awesome in the dirt, never washed out.

If i had the $, id get that for the front on the DRZ now.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #18309
See-Three
C3

Oddometer: 131
Hows the shinko 244 in the twisties? It looks similar to the Kenda k270 and that was one of the scariest rears i've use. it always wanted to slide out on me. even slow stuff in parking lots i was leaving skid marks...I attributed it to the flimsy knobs on the outside of the tire. Looks like the 244 is a little more rugged.
See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #18310
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Copy that, I'm just reading and looking...for that right one, when the time comes! I appreciate all the intel.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastardbiker View Post
Yo everybody! I bought a DRZ400-s early this year and wanted to weigh in on a couple of things if nobody minds...

For the dude deciding between the S and SM models: Go with the S. Like dude said, the inverted forks don't have any real performance advantage, and in my opinion they are at a disadvantage for hardcore off roading because they are more exposed and could get scored by rocks and crap if you go down on rough terrain. When off roading, ground clearance is a huge issue. The S model with big wheels has lots more clearance. It makes a difference. Wheelies are easier with a high center of gravity anyway ;) If you want to hit the road hard just keep an extra set of street tires or better yet wheels around to pop on when you feel like it.

As for tires, I switched from from the mostly dirt dunlop D606 to a Shinko 244 "Golden Boy" trail tire. It has loads of grip compared to the Dunlop and is much more stable! Very confidence-inspiring on the road for such an aggressive tread, and so far great in dirt too, and I take it some muddy places... One of the cheapest tire sets you can get for the S wheels too, about $100 for the set! Supposedly the tread life is good. Can't go wrong.

I also just want to say, I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!

TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #18311
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Three View Post
Hows the shinko 244 in the twisties? It looks similar to the Kenda k270 and that was one of the scariest rears i've use. it always wanted to slide out on me. even slow stuff in parking lots i was leaving skid marks...I attributed it to the flimsy knobs on the outside of the tire. Looks like the 244 is a little more rugged.
I've got about 300 miles on my set of 244's, and I'll echo the others, they're great. I love them in the twisters as well. They're great for a knobbie.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #18312
marine_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Pirelli XCMH is a GREAT front tire, much better then the front shinko, but also cost about 80 bucks, it was awesome in the dirt, never washed out.

If i had the $, id get that for the front on the DRZ now.
Just had the XCMH front and 606 rear put on my DRZ. Can't wait to see how they do.
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #18313
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
I've got XCMH front, MT21 rear on mine. Had d606s on the front before and I reckon the XCMH is better in the loose stuff

I haven't used Shinkos and don't have an opinion, but others do: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=shinko

I reckon you just go off your own experience

Muddler screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 09:05 PM
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #18314
carlclaflin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
lowering links

howdy,
i want to get one of these new drz400, but i'm short. 29" inseam, i tippy toe the bike. i found a site that 1.75" lowering links for $100. has anyone here use them? how hard are they to install?
carlclaflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #18315
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
I've got XCMH front, MT21 rear on mine. Had d606s on the front before and I reckon the XCMH is better in the loose stuff

I haven't used Shinkos and don't have an opinion, but others do: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=shinko

I reckon you just go off your own experience
Seems like that would be a nice combo for mostly dirt riding.

carlclaflin-
Lowering links seem like they would be pretty simple install. I wouldn't let that stop me from getting a DRZ.
I would also recommend that you ride it a bit before throwing money at modifications. It's not a heavy bike, and is easily tipped a bit to flat foot one side at stops. You can also get a low seat (seat concepts is nice) that will gain you an inch or so. You will most likely want a new seat anyhow...most do.

BLOG