Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #18601
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoguzzi View Post
got a chance at one for fairly cheap.. 2002 DRZ 400S says it had a radiator leak "and may have over heated" it does run but he says smokes when warmed up but not white smoke. only has 4k miles.. what are the likely problems and how big a deal to fix it? I can't get a look till tomorrow night so I want to have info.. thanks!
is this the right place to post or should I start a new thread?
This is probably a good place to start.

How much is he asking? There's no way to tell how much damage is done until you get in there. Could be that it needs new gaskets and then it'll be fine, could need a complete rebuild. I'd make sure that you're willing to spend whatever he's asking and whatever a rebuild (or big bore?) would cost and still be happy with the purchase. If you're betting the pot on the chance that it'll be a simple fix you might get screwed.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #18602
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,745
For those of you that use a Giant Loop Coyote, do I need to add additional protection for the exhaust heat or am I good to just slap the bag on and roll?
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #18603
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Does anybody know of an alternative to eBay when looking for parts?

Long story short, I want to make my E model more ADV ready, and I was thinking of upgrading to an S-subframe for the added strength. I looked on eBay and the s-subframes that are there seem kinda expensive.

I'm also in the market for an S or SM sub-frame so I can add a Wolfman side rack kit, but I didn't find anything but E sub-frames available on eBay (did a big search, too). So you have any links to the S sub-frames you found?
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #18604
sevenpointsixtwo
Newb Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Does anybody know of an alternative to eBay when looking for parts?

Long story short, I want to make my E model more ADV ready, and I was thinking of upgrading to an S-subframe for the added strength. I looked on eBay and the s-subframes that are there seem kinda expensive.
You don't need an S subframe; the E is plenty strong and will hold up under a LOT of stress. I tested mine thoroughly in Labrador last summer, fully loaded, over a lot of washboard and big hits. Get an E adventure rack from Inmate Jackpiner57 (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788735) and never look back!

And I do mean fully:

1998 Tiger 900
2000 DRZ400E
sevenpointsixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #18605
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
I did an inventive way (a while back) to put saddle bags and they held up pretty good, even with a crash.
From Wal-Mart $15 each.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #18606
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
For those of you that use a Giant Loop Coyote, do I need to add additional protection for the exhaust heat or am I good to just slap the bag on and roll?

I have side racks but not heavy duty, can't remember the brand as I am not near my home pc till Monday but!
They work real well and I would recommend them for the Coyote bag.
Will try to check when I get to it.

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #18607
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
I'm also in the market for an S or SM sub-frame so I can add a Wolfman side rack kit, but I didn't find anything but E sub-frames available on eBay (did a big search, too). So you have any links to the S sub-frames you found?
Last time I looked was a few weeks ago. Sorry.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #18608
beerbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
havent seen one lately,

They do pop up fairly often on there
99 TTR225
beerbuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #18609
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
There isn't alot of benefit to an S subframe. If you get "good" E racks the should tie to the frame properly.

That said some S parts like subframes and rear footpegs are hard to get. But follow the flea market, e-bay and TT. They do pop up. Some guys are even willing to trade.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #18610
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,144
I guess my coolant reservoir tank was getting brittle. The entire side is just about gone to pieces. Is this a dealer only item, or any suggestions?

Also, is there any write ups for replacing fork seals/rejuvenating the forks? Mine are leaking a bit now.

DRZ is asking for more and more. Ugh. Just want to ride.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #18611
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,144
And another thing. I have been riding the DRZ for a few years, but I hadn't noticed the slow decline of the braking system. I have replaced pads a few times over this period, but I didn't realize how cruddy the front really was until I bought a DR650 last week. HOLY SMOKES, IT STOPS!
A few things: recently found fork seal leak on rotor side. Also, the PO of this bike installed GSXR levers/brake reservoir. It's really comfy, but perhaps not the best stopping power?
Replace rotor and pads when rebuild fork? Ditch GSXR bits?
Recommendations?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #18612
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
I guess my coolant reservoir tank was getting brittle. The entire side is just about gone to pieces. Is this a dealer only item, or any suggestions?

Also, is there any write ups for replacing fork seals/rejuvenating the forks? Mine are leaking a bit now.

DRZ is asking for more and more. Ugh. Just want to ride.
For coolant reservoir do a search for the 'turkey baster mod'. You can get rid of the remote reservoir completely that way. I haven't done it as my reservoir seems fine but it looks like a pretty common thing to do.
32x20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #18613
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
And another thing. I have been riding the DRZ for a few years, but I hadn't noticed the slow decline of the braking system. I have replaced pads a few times over this period, but I didn't realize how cruddy the front really was until I bought a DR650 last week. HOLY SMOKES, IT STOPS!
A few things: recently found fork seal leak on rotor side. Also, the PO of this bike installed GSXR levers/brake reservoir. It's really comfy, but perhaps not the best stopping power?
Replace rotor and pads when rebuild fork? Ditch GSXR bits?
Recommendations?
I'd start by changing the brake oil. Do you have any idea when it was last done? (and what oil was used)

There may be some oil on the front brake system from your fork oil- which is just a case of cleaning it off (Brake cleaner for the disc & I usually scuff my brake pads on the concrete floor to freshen them up- It's crude, but helps if you spill stuff on them) If there is oil on the front brakes, it can take a while to get rid of it. Dad cleaned my TT600 years ago and sprayed silicone spray on the plastics to make it look good.... Unfortunately it had USD forks, so the brakes got a good coverage. I was out on a ride when I noticed, so I rode with the front brake partially applied until I got feel back.

What sort of condition are the rotors in? Chances are that if you've changed pads a few times, there might be some ridges forming on the disc. I found that it's cheaper & easier to replace the rotors than to try to re-surface them (about $35-50 on ebay)

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #18614
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Local dealer has a 2013 Super Moto on his floor right now. There is lust in my heart and Suzuki's 0% financing deal ain't helpin'.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #18615
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
I'd start by changing the brake oil. Do you have any idea when it was last done? (and what oil was used)
Brake oil? Do they use something different than brake fluid down there?

Oil does not belong anywhere near a braking system.

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote