Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #19066
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Info please and thank you!

The headlight is a standard 7" bucket (Honda CB900). I wanted to be able to use the stock mounting brackets and plug (high beam/low beam). Also with a standard headlight in the bucket its cheap and easy to replace if it should break.

I fabricated the windscreen and its brackets to attach to the side mount headlight. Its not 100% yet, but we may offer it as a conversion "kit" in the future. The fairing and its hardware need a little more tweaking but overall I like it MUCH better. I am taking the bike to ride the CDT (north to south) in July and that should be a good test of its use-ability/durability.

thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #19067
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,055
Swimgarm install

Everything kinda fell apart when I pulled the swimgarm out so I didn't notice how much slack, if any, existed between the pivot spacers and the swimgarm. Now that everything is ready to go back together, I noticed there is some "slop" between the spacers and SA. It looks like there is 56 mm of space on each side of the engine case (between the frame and the case), but the pivot spacers, when you lay them end to end, measure 57.5 mm.

What am I missing? Will the frame spread out a bit to slip the SA in? And does the SA normally slip back and forth laterally (a CH) until you get the rest of the suspension hooked back up?
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #19068
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
To THRASHED

I just hooked up the Zeta hand guard LEDs as running lights.

I didn't think they would be bright enough in daylight for turn signals.

signed, Conspicuous
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #19069
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzler View Post
Thanks, they are the RAD MFG wheels and the front hub is compatible with the stock speedo drive unit so I did keep the stock instrument cluster/speedometer. I prefer the look of the stock speedo over the Vapor one in particular even though the speedometer is off by 5-15 mph with the 17" wheels it's not a fast bike but extremely grin inducing.

Really?? I like the Vapor myself, and with a fully built 434cc engine its fast too.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #19070
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
VZuke your bike looks great....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #19071
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,143
Are any of you running high pressure radiator caps?

I was riding in a wash and the coolant started to boil in my DRZ-E. I stopped and let the bike cool down, and the bike ran fine, and showed no adverse symptoms other then that. I know high pressure radiator caps will increase the boiling point of the coolant (I think they're 1.6bar, vs 1.1bar stock), but I have heard that they will also put undue stress on your hoses and water pump. And can cause the water pump seal to leak and eventually damage the water pump. Has anyone had that issue? I am going to flush and refill my radiators, hopefully it's just old coolant, but I had also considered upgrading the cap to a higher pressure one at the same time. It's an E model, so no fan, and swapping a cap is easier then trying to install a fan, but if I hear that a lot of people are having hose/pump blowouts with the caps then I'll go the fan route.

Maybe I'll keep both caps and run the high pressure one during the summer and switch back to stock during the winter.

I tried to search this thread and the website in general, and found some info on people running (higher pressure) EXC caps on 950/990 Adventures, but nothing really DRZ specific.

Thanks!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #19072
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
You see posts here and there about HP caps. I don't recall seeing posts on component failures. The water pump leak is just part of the DRZ.

The most common route is to add a fan. The sealed high flow computer fans help big time. Mine tends to run hot so I'm thinking of adding a second to hel the stocker.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #19073
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Are any of you running high pressure radiator caps?

I was riding in a wash and the coolant started to boil in my DRZ-E. I stopped and let the bike cool down, and the bike ran fine, and showed no adverse symptoms other then that. I know high pressure radiator caps will increase the boiling point of the coolant (I think they're 1.6bar, vs 1.1bar stock), but I have heard that they will also put undue stress on your hoses and water pump. And can cause the water pump seal to leak and eventually damage the water pump. Has anyone had that issue? I am going to flush and refill my radiators, hopefully it's just old coolant, but I had also considered upgrading the cap to a higher pressure one at the same time. It's an E model, so no fan, and swapping a cap is easier then trying to install a fan, but if I hear that a lot of people are having hose/pump blowouts with the caps then I'll go the fan route.

Maybe I'll keep both caps and run the high pressure one during the summer and switch back to stock during the winter.

I tried to search this thread and the website in general, and found some info on people running (higher pressure) EXC caps on 950/990 Adventures, but nothing really DRZ specific.

Thanks!
Install a fan with a SSW on/off switch, your bike is getting too hot, the fsn will cool it down i would not do a gigher pressure cap imo.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #19074
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I switched up from a Bonneville to a DRZ. The guy that had it before me took real good care of it and put lots af great parts on it already. I'm excited to learn what you guys already know!

Out with the old....

In with the new (to me...)

Scored all these too...

tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #19075
MrBob
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,524
Sisneros - Beware

When I needed a new cam chain and tensioner I noted remarks here about Eddie Sisneros and his products. I always try to support small businesses so I phoned him a week ago yesterday, ordered a cam chain kit, and my credit card was charged for over 140.00. I spoke to him personally and he said the stuff would get into the mail that day. I told him the the bike is in pieces in a parking lot in Santa Fe and I appreciate his quick delivery.
Six days go by and no package. I send him an email asking about this. I get this reply on the morning of June 6:

im checking into as soon as the parts dept is open.

About 6 or 7 hours go by and I don't hear anything so I send another email and get this reply:

they sent it to the wrong adress. its been corrected and on its way. should see it tommorow if not sat.

Of course, the chain has not appeared as of Saturday evening. And, I don't see any apology for the wasted time or inconvenience. I don't see any understanding of customer service at all.
On Monday morning I plan to contact my credit card company and open a fraud complaint.
Just saying, there are a number of vendors out there selling us parts who do understand customer service and can be relied upon. For instance, I ordered an oil change kit from ThumperTalk and it was on my doorstep three days later. Those are the types of businesses that deserve our support.

MrBob screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 07:45 AM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #19076
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,587
Every time I order from TT, I get an email a bit later saying "X part is in a different where house, and it will be an additional 3-6 buisiness days". In other words, they have to get it from their parts supplier.

I kinda hate motorcycle parts ordering. Doesn't matter where its from, it sucks 90% of the time.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #19077
focallength
?

Oddometer: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
When I needed I new cam chain and tensioner I noted remarks here about Eddie Sisneros and his products. I always try to support small businesses so I phoned him a week ago yesterday, ordered a cam chain kit, and my credit card was charged for over 140.00. I spoke to him personally and he said the stuff would get into the mail that day. I told him the the bike is in pieces in a parking lot in Santa Fe and I appreciate his quick delivery.
Six days go by and no package. I send him an email asking about this. I get this reply on the morning of June 6:

About 6 or 7 hours go by and I don't hear anything so I send another email and get this reply:

they sent it to the wrong adress. its been corrected and on its way. should see it tommorow if not sat.

Of course, the chain has not appeared as of Saturday evening. And, I don't see any apology for the wasted time or inconvenience. I don't see any understanding of customer service at all.
On Monday morning I plan to contact my credit card company and open a fraud complaint.
Just saying, there are a number of vendors out there selling us parts who do understand customer service and can be relied upon. For instance, I ordered an oil change kit from ThumperTalk and it was on my doorstep three days later. Those are the types of businesses that deserve our support.
I had a similar experience, ordered a cam, they said it was in stock, charged me and never shipped it, everytime I called I got the run around and "were too busy to look into it right now, theres a line out the door" To wit I replied you already have my money, youve told me it shipped out yesterday, 4 times now. Eventually the little pissant owner got upset and said he was tired of dealing with it. So after 2 weeks, after being told 6-7 times it would ship tomorrow, he got "tired of dealing with me calling" and refunded the money. I talked to eddy a couple of times and that guy has a rock for a brain, he claims hes the owner but dosent know whats going on, the other guy says hes the owner too.

same thing, the guy was indignant and acted like I was wasting his time, never apologized for lying, never tried to fix the problem. It was always "yeah...itll ship tomorrow" I asked for the shipping/tracking number and the reply was "we dont give that to customers". I told him that I would let everyone I came in contact with about my experience. He just laughed and said "go ahead, I dont care"

biggest bunch of retards ever, they may know about the drz, but their customer service is piss poor

focallength screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 08:48 PM
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #19078
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
When I needed I new cam chain and tensioner I noted remarks here about Eddie Sisneros and his products. I always try to support small businesses so I phoned him a week ago yesterday, ordered a cam chain kit, and my credit card was charged for over 140.00. I spoke to him personally and he said the stuff would get into the mail that day. I told him the the bike is in pieces in a parking lot in Santa Fe and I appreciate his quick delivery.

There has been like 5-7 threads in the last week alone on TT about SSW and his horrible customer service, its simply a case of guy does great engine work, but does not know shit about customer servie, period.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #19079
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Ordering parts

I don't mean to butt in, I've been following the thread last couple of weeks just learning about the DR-Z....

Any way, I have the best luck with Rocky Mtn and OEM Cycle. Their sites let you know if the part is in stock, and you get shipping/tracking updates by email. No affiliation with either, just a happy customer.

Sarah

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

http://www.oemcycle.com/
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #19080
SteveROntario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
I switched up from a Bonneville to a DRZ. The guy that had it before me took real good care of it and put lots af great parts on it already. I'm excited to learn what you guys already know!
You got 3 sets of wheels!? You have an opportunity to make some good money on the SM wheels if you decide you won't want them.
Steve