Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #21766
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,575
I weigh near 100 kg (215 pounds) and my little DRZ hauls my ass and gear all over. The DRZ is my little single track trail and camping bike. My KLR is adventure touring and camping bike. Both fulfill my needs, and of course my trials bikes.

Quote:
By the way, I'ld like to get a proper dirt bike for myself so that I can do a few of the bigger trail rides. I feel that the 1996 Yamaha XT225 is just a bit underpowered for some things as I weigh about 100 kilograms. Any thoughts on WR250F or DRZ250? I'm trying to get sufficient power but lower weight and height. Alough as I read back through this forum, I am starting to think that an DRZ400 with a lowered aftermarket seat would work too ...
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #21767
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
There are 2 wide ratio trans available DRC and Nova. DRC or more cost effective a worthy mod if you are in there. I ran the acerbis guards still do. I had to cut the plastic off eventually. I tapped them and have cycra plastic now. Soft but easy rework.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:03 AM   #21768
imnothng
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Its up to you but I never loctite, my counter shaft nut, the lock washers hold up fine. The nut cannot come off, its physically impossible. Unless you forget to bend the washer over

Of course others will tell you, the bike will self immolate and children will weep tears of blood if you dont. Peesonally, ive had zero issuses and I ride everything.
I do have personal experience with this. I had my washer bent and the damn thing still came loose. It actually ended up striping itself and I had to wait 2 weeks to get a new one.

So for the extra 10 seconds to apply some loctite, I will do it with no hesitation.
imnothng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 AM   #21769
toolspirit
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Drz400 Thread

Thanks I think I will go with it. I can't find anything else with the light weight I want that is as multipurpose. I'm 6" 5 but weight around 70-75 kgs and really enjoy riding my dt off road because it's so light I can haul it over stuff and it'll go anywhere. The transalp is so heavy i can't get it down most trails and forget about getting it over a rock or boulder. I live in the mountains so the commute isn't motorways it's twisties so it should be perfect for now at least.

I looked at the 650s but just thought I'd rather trade the road miles for trail miles if that makes sense.. I had a XT 600 as my last bike and while I liked it and a lot more than a transalp it was pretty much as heavy as I'd want a bike to be. I would definitely consider a ktm if I could afford a good one.

If I ride about 60-100kms there's a national park and tons of trails which are a bit easier than what we have around here and good for camping, doesn't sound like it's too far for the DRZ to do every couple weeks and if I want it to go a bit further maybe start playing with sprockets and gearing. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toolspirit screwed with this post 01-23-2014 at 05:51 AM
toolspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #21770
toolspirit
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Are there any years I should avoid or specific thing to check, or just go for any nice example?

toolspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #21771
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolspirit View Post
Are there any years I should avoid or specific thing to check, or just go for any nice example?
The S models got better suspension after 2001, I believe (if I'm wrong on the year somebody correct me). There's a huge FAQ topic over at thumpertalk that's worth reading. Look for a well maintained example...the flea market here is a good place to start.

On gearing choices and highway...try stock for awhile. It is a bit revvy on the highway but it'll run 75mph all day (just bring earplugs) if that's your thing. I've always run stock (S) gearing and there are a few times I've wished for lower gearing but it's gotta get pretty tight and/or steep to really need it. If you've got the $$ to spend there are lighter/faster bikes out there but at the DRZ price point it's hard to beat the capabilities.
32x20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #21772
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolspirit View Post

I look for:
worn out swing arm bushings
worn out stem bearings
worn out / welded on front sprocket
MCCT, and how much is left for adjustment
chain/tires/brake pads, the usual
the air box! how clean is it??? is the filter brand new or covered in holes ? this accelerates piston/ring/cylinder wear like a mother!

check the stator, it takes 5 minutes
check the oil after the rest ride

and then ask the owner stuff I noticed

you can fix these things trailside, but that won't make it any funner !
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #21773
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
what about a wide ratio gear set for a drz400?
IMO, if you are looking at splitting the cases to put in an expensive gear set, you really should be looking at a bike that is closer to what you want.

Quote:
Thats not true, changing the front sprocket takes maybe 5 minutes, if that.
i use a 3/8 drive that is only 6" long.

carrying the socket is a pain but if youre doing long trips where you feel the need ro change sprockets, its not that big of a deal. Its one extra socket and a sprocket amongst your other tools.

Get a couple extra lock washers, they get bent out of shape after about 3 changes.

Its up to you but I never loctite, my counter shaft nut, the lock washers hold up fine. The nut cannot come off, its physically impossible. Unless you forget to bend the washer over

Of course others will tell you, the bike will self immolate and children will weep tears of blood if you dont. Peesonally, ive had zero issuses and I ride everything.
Any bike with a nut holding the front sprocket is a PITA to change in the field. The size of the DRZ nut makes it moreso. The required torque is a bit higher than what I felt like putting thru a ratchet.

I wish more bikes used a system like the Honda XRs. A retainer held in place by a pair of bolts with 10mm threads. OTOH, the XR splines tended to eat themselves more than a DRZ does. The easiest change is with a circlip like a KTM 2S, but they can be problematic leakers at the countershaft.

Thank you for recognizing the self immolation issue and tears of blood. NHTSA is involved in a huge cover up on this topic. It's about time someone made light of it.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #21774
MartinPetren
Swedish Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Personally, I would avoid those guards. The aluminum is butter soft & will bend any time the bike is dropped. With the plastic around the aluminum, they are difficult to straighten out.

Get a Cycra or Highway Dirt bikes. More $$, but you'll never have to mess with them. The threaded insert on the end of the bar is bomb proof.
I strongly disagree. Had them on my DR650R for four years. That pig was dropped so many times and they held up fine. Sure they got slightly bent after a few years, but it was possible to bend back and then they were hardened and held for more abuse.

So, in my opinion, great handguards at a great price. 299 SEK = 46 USD.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #21775
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPetren View Post
I strongly disagree. Had them on my DR650R for four years. That pig was dropped so many times and they held up fine. Sure they got slightly bent after a few years, but it was possible to bend back and then they were hardened and held for more abuse.

So, in my opinion, great handguards at a great price. 299 SEK = 46 USD.
While we're voting: I have them on my DRZ and I'm with Hellsickle. I hate em. Clip a tree once and you'll be spending some time hammering them back into place. I'd really like some HDB's but haven't brought myself to spend the $$ yet.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #21776
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Thats not true, changing the front sprocket takes maybe 5 minutes, if that.
i use a 3/8 drive that is only 6" long.

carrying the socket is a pain but if youre doing long trips where you feel the need ro change sprockets, its not that big of a deal. Its one extra socket and a sprocket amongst your other tools.

Get a couple extra lock washers, they get bent out of shape after about 3 changes.

I never had any trouble with clip style master links myself, either. then, at 70+ mph, I did. now I visibly check it at every stop.

never had trouble with the luck washer either, until I did, at 10mph. then I loctited the SPLINES and it hasn't worked lose again. quite a few people have found out the experience of losing the seal, and bushing behind it, because of over tightening the nut, and hoping the vibrations of a thumper wouldn't rattle it loose and have the luck nut fall off at speed.

it will shear the folded edge of the washer right off, and do just that though.

two drops of loctite for me.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #21777
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32x20 View Post
While we're voting: I have them on my DRZ and I'm with Hellsickle. I hate em. Clip a tree once and you'll be spending some time hammering them back into place. I'd really like some HDB's but haven't brought myself to spend the $$ yet.
I've had great luck with a set of tusk hand guards and the plastic covers with built in blinkers. My bike spends a lot of time on the ground, and they've held up really well.
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:07 AM   #21778
MartinPetren
Swedish Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Well, we are just having different opinions. It could also be something with good and bad batches by acerbis or their metal distributor. I mean, they are filthy cheap, which ought to ease the quality inspection at the fabric.

But I assume we can agree on one thing, they are better than no hand guards at all?!

:)
Old 01-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #21779
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPetren View Post
But I assume we can agree on one thing, they are better than no hand guards at all?!

:)
Absolutely.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #21780
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:

Just my two cents worth... I think the Acerbis hand guards suck too. The aluminum is way too soft to handle the punishment I threw at them.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote