Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #2221
canadius_maximus
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
...been eyein' a thumper, found a nice '06 DRZ 400S with, uh, under 600 miles locally, for $3200.

...so, can you get white plastics for a DRZ?...wheels are turnin'...
Yes you can. Last year, the SM version was available in white, so dealers (at least in Canada) have had white plastic since then. I believe that it's offered in white for the S model for 2009 and onwards, so again, you should have no problem finding them.

Good luck!

cm

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #2222
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Well my 02 streetlegal drze is getting a complete overhall. I have taken the bike completetly apart, cleaned, lubed, retorqued, every nut, bolt. I have added a Ollins rear shock froma kx 250 sprung and valved to my weight, Titianiun axles and swingarmbolts. And a few other goodies, next is new plastics, a renzco seat, and a steering dampener.pics soon.
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #2223
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Hey guys...I have two of each brand new stock "E" muffler clamps (14459-29F00) and exhaust gaskets (14771-29F00). One of each have been removed from the package (still have the package) but plans changed so they were never used. All four are brand new. They were $49 + shipping. Will sell for $35 shipped.

I need stock "S" exhaust clamp. There must be millions of these gathering dust with all of the aftermarket exhaust systems that have been installed.

Also need a float bowl drain plug for a stock (factory) "E" FCR. See my flea market ad for a depiction.

TIA!

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #2224
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,308
yhou've been lucky with the battery then...

AGM batteries last best when hooked to a tender. On my 2007 I did wha tyou did , charge it a bit here and there and by Spring it was DOA. Expensive little boogers from Interstate! Now it lives on the tender!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
My DRZ has been totally reliable - I add fuel stabilizer, either Sea Foam or Stabil, make sure the motor runs enough to get it through the carb, and it sits all winter, 4-5 months in my area. I charge the battery about monthly. In the spring it takes a few trys to start, but it always does and I've never had the carb or jets gunk up. Have treated all my bikes this way. It works, so draining the float bowls is simply not worth it
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #2225
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 469
hey tipsy, arent you th eguy thats helping me with my jetting issues on thumpertalk? small world... you really think that crf450 diaphragm might cure my bog?? at $18 its worth a try; im going to order a bunch of jets and needles, i guess ill add that to the list.
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #2226
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

while im on the topic does anyone here with an fcr-equipped "e" model have the notorious off idle bog, if so, have you done anything to fix it?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #2227
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplandscaping
hey tipsy, arent you th eguy thats helping me with my jetting issues on thumpertalk? small world... you really think that crf450 diaphragm might cure my bog?? at $18 its worth a try; im going to order a bunch of jets and needles, i guess ill add that to the list.
The CRF diaphragm might do the trick. If not, the Taffy mod is simple (and cheap) enough.

One way or the other, you'll get it squared away.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #2228
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplandscaping
while im on the topic does anyone here with an fcr-equipped "e" model have the notorious off idle bog, if so, have you done anything to fix it?
Haven't tried it since mine is the "S" model with different carb, but many of my customers have bought the Boyesen Quickshot & now the new Quickshot 2 from me to install on their various dirtbikes that came stock with the FCR carb, and all of those that have given me any feedback claimed it makes all the difference in the world and totally eliminated the bog you mention...
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #2229
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,085
Question Airbox Mod?

What do you have to do to open up the airbox. I've read that and a pipe make a big diff.
What if you want to keep the stock pipe. Is there re-jetting involved then?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #2230
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

to open the airbox cut about a 3"x3" hole in the top, unless you have an e, then you just remove the snorkle. You will have to put in a larger main jet, these things are jetted too lean from the factory.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #2231
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,501
All the directions you need are on ThumperTalk, basically you cut a 3"X3" hole in the top of your airbox, re-jet the carb and unleash the new beast. I am still running the stock exhaust on my '07. From all I have heard and read after market exhausts don't make that much difference, in fact they mostly take torque away from the bottom - right where you want it in a thumper - so I have no plans to put anything, exhaust wise, on my bike. I think you could do the 3X3 mod without re-jetting but most of the performance increase comes from a carb that can supply more fuel where/when its needed and an airbox that can give the additional air through the extra hole.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #2232
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,085
obssess par duex

...well the '06 is already gone, but ther's an '03 with 2200 miles and a Yoshimura pipe for the same price locally, sound like a decent price ($3250)?

So, where's the best deals on stuff like a larger tank, plastic, and cool bits?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #2233
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
...well the '06 is already gone, but ther's an '03 with 2200 miles and a Yoshimura pipe for the same price locally, sound like a decent price ($3250)?

So, where's the best deals on stuff like a larger tank, plastic, and cool bits?

I got my well farkled 05 for $2950 a year ago so for an 03 it's a little high in my book. That is unless it has racks and everything on it already.

You can't beat the ThumperTalk Store in my book. Everything from OEM parts to accessories. Check it out.

Then you have Motosport, Rocky Mountain, Chapprall, and a host of others.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #2234
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfixer
From all I have heard and read after market exhausts don't make that much difference, in fact they mostly take torque away from the bottom - right where you want it in a thumper - so I have no plans to put anything, exhaust wise, on my bike.
A good pipe system will add 2-4 horsepower through the whole powerband, and adds a couple foot pounds as well unless you didn't rejet. You might be thinking of a slip on muffler with the stock pipe, which would add no horsepower or torque but just make the bike louder.

Yes, a pipe system is expensive(500-900), so whether or not it's worth it really depends on your budget, but it should add power.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #2235
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
Just FYI

I paid $460 shipped for my MRD/SSW full race pipe. It performs like the $750 yoshi Ti.