ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #22396
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer
 
ohgood's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: alabama
Oddometer: 2,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Ok I'll apologize In advance I'm sure this has been brought up 100 times but I am really wanting a drz400 for an adventure bike. Around here it's nessary to be able to cruze at 70 to 80 mph with hills to get to any dirt roads. so what is needed to accomplish this with out sacrificing to much low end? Also going from 1200 feet up to around 7000ft. I'm currently riding a tu250 and for the most part it's even fine with the exception of the suspension. So saying this I know it has its limitations and I'm ok with that. If I just went to the 38t rear sprocket would that be suffient? I want to keep it mostly stock. I don't mind doing the 3x3 rejeting and maybe exhaust.
Dr650 is your Rx
__________________
Yes, Android AND iphone GPS works without cellular data. Use offline maps and enjoy. (thanks drtbyk!)
ohgood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #22397
Rhompin45
Rhompin45
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chandler arizona
Oddometer: 250
Ya I like those also. Do they have and over heating issues? It gets up to 115 degrees here In the summer. I have been going back and forth those 2 and a klr but I wanted something lighter since I have very limited experience offroad.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #22398
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 26,912
No overheating issues here. I know this is the DRZ thread but I've got both and if I had to get rid of one right now the DRZ would be out. Driving down the 202, the 60 or the 10 on the DRZ is painful. I've given up on making it a dualsport and I truck mine everywhere. It will kick the DR in the slats off road but if you want a true dualsport the DR650 is where it's at.
__________________
fingerdoodle
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #22399
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider
 
AteamNM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sandia Mountains New Mexico
Oddometer: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Ya I like those also. Do they have and over heating issues? It gets up to 115 degrees here In the summer. I have been going back and forth those 2 and a klr but I wanted something lighter since I have very limited experience offroad.
DR over KLR if it gets technical and requires repositioning, dragging, lifting. The DR is taxed at technical riding but can cruise all day. You can always wire up a PC computer fan to the bike when climbing in first gear?

Don't ask me how I know and the DRZ is only slightly less in weight than the DR.

KTM450EXC?
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #22400
Rhompin45
Rhompin45
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chandler arizona
Oddometer: 250
Hey someone local that's actually really helpful. Ya my tu250 doesn't have issues over heating even at 75 mph indicated the 26 miles to work but I know some air cooled bikes do. And I kinda ruled out the klr due to the weight. I'm kinda in favor to Suzuki.. I'm not sure why but I have owned 3 so far. Ya I noticed the drz and dr are about the same and both are about the same as my tu250 which kinda baffles me. And pc fan... Hmm ill have to keep that in mind thanks.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #22401
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Oddometer: 478
choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Hey someone local that's actually really helpful. Ya my tu250 doesn't have issues over heating even at 75 mph indicated the 26 miles to work but I know some air cooled bikes do. And I kinda ruled out the klr due to the weight. I'm kinda in favor to Suzuki.. I'm not sure why but I have owned 3 so far. Ya I noticed the drz and dr are about the same and both are about the same as my tu250 which kinda baffles me. And pc fan... Hmm ill have to keep that in mind thanks.
If I had to ride 75-80 mph to get to decent off road riding I would get the KTM V-twin.
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #22402
Rhompin45
Rhompin45
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chandler arizona
Oddometer: 250
The speed limits are 65 and 75 around here but its much safer if you do 75 to keep up with traffic. Once you get out of town which is like 40 miles depending on where I'm going. It's 65mph but up hill. I do it on my 250 and just wind the shit out of 3rd I can maintain 65. I am not looking to be the fastest thing on the road I just want to be able to keep up with traffic abit better with out winding out the motor as much. Honestly if it wasn't for the hills getting to the forest I would prefer another 250 just because they are super cheap to keep on the road. The desert is closer but it's way to hot in the summer.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #22403
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 4,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker747 View Post
Thanks Eddy! I hope your recon ride went well yesterday. Not sure if you know or not, I've gone over to the Orange side - I hope I don't get disowned by my fellow DRZ brethren......................

That's cool machine P. My recon ride went great on Sunday but some of these terrains would require a smaller bike to better manoeuver with...
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #22404
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 26,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
The speed limits are 65 and 75 around here but its much safer if you do 75 to keep up with traffic. Once you get out of town which is like 40 miles depending on where I'm going. It's 65mph but up hill. I do it on my 250 and just wind the shit out of 3rd I can maintain 65. I am not looking to be the fastest thing on the road I just want to be able to keep up with traffic abit better with out winding out the motor as much. Honestly if it wasn't for the hills getting to the forest I would prefer another 250 just because they are super cheap to keep on the road. The desert is closer but it's way to hot in the summer.
To be perfectly honest, if you have a truck or trailer, my best advice is to keep the 250 and truck up to the rim. It's really no fun coming down from there when it's over 100 on any bike. The freeways here suck for dualsports. I commute from QC to downtown PHX every day but I do it on my VFR, not the DR. I've only done it a few times on both the DRZ and the DR and none are really comfortable to deal with our huge freeways here. Moving traffic as you know is 75mph and if you're having a hard time keeping up you're dead in water.

One of the best things about trucking your bike up to elevations when it gets hot is that when you come back you're doing it in A/C. I know I sound like a wimp but people that have never lived here don't understand what riding a few hours in 110 degree heat is really like. Maybe you could join us on one of our east side rides and you can try both bikes.
__________________
fingerdoodle
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #22405
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider
 
AteamNM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sandia Mountains New Mexico
Oddometer: 3,966
Looked up this data, not sure it is accurate but seems so.

XR650L - 346lbs
DR650 - 324lbs
DRZ400sm - 295lbs
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #22406
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 26,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Looked up this data, not sure it is accurate but seems so.

XR650L - 346lbs
DR650 - 324lbs
DRZ400sm - 295lbs
all heavy dirtbikes.
__________________
fingerdoodle
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 AM   #22407
jd4x426
n00b
 
jd4x426's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho18th View Post
Is the rubber diaphragm itself in good shape? My bog came back a couple years after those AP mods when my diaphragm got a crack in it. Cheap replacement and it was back to boglessness...that's a real word, I swear.

Any air leaks at the air box to carb junction, or carb to engine junction? Though that generally has an effect on the idle as well.

Over oiled air filter, or overly dirt air filter? Is it only when snapping the throttle open, or same when rolling the throttle open?

Psycho
only when throttle is snapped open and diaphragm is fine air filter is brand new just changed il try and clean and reoil it
jd4x426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #22408
TheTokoloshe
n00b
 
TheTokoloshe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Communist Connecticut
Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker747 View Post
I put on a Lynx fairing with Scott's stabilizer. Has anyone had experience with this combo using the OEM bracket?





Nice looking rig! Your going to love the Scotts!
TheTokoloshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 AM   #22409
tjzondrz
I'm older now.
 
tjzondrz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Macungie,PA.
Oddometer: 1,481
[QUOTE=USMC_Engineer;23771956]Hey all,

I bought a 2014 drz 400 SM today. :)

Pick it up prob Thursday (calling for an inch or 2 of wet white crap Tomm damnit!)

Am very excited.
Where about are you located?
Maybe we can get together and do some riding.
__________________
" I'm your Huckleberry"
2012 DRZ400s
1980 IT175G
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 AM   #22410
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
USMC_Engineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: SE / PA.
Oddometer: 176
[QUOTE=tjzondrz;23774343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Engineer View Post
Hey all,

I bought a 2014 drz 400 SM today. :)

Pick it up prob Thursday (calling for an inch or 2 of wet white crap Tomm damnit!)

Am very excited.
Where about are you located?
Maybe we can get together and do some riding.


Hey there,

I am in Delco, Pa.. Pretty much between Philly and Delaware. Lots of nice twistys down here, not much dirt though, hence why I went sm instead of s.

I'm always down for a ride, I had illusions of multiday overnight trips over the last few yrs and had the bikes for it but life never permitted it. Guess I'm more the type of guy that will head out whenever I can for a few hrs, tear it up and head home.
__________________
Heading out on a ride with no destination in mind.
USMC_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015