User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #2266
sailorchuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
New to me bike

Hello riders--Could someone tell me if there was a big change between a 1999 and now DRZ. I found a 1999 DRZ and was thinking of buying it. Thanks Chuck
sailorchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #2267
Z1Krob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250

One question for the group: will the SM model wheels and axles fit an offroad/conventional forked model with out a bunch of custom spacers or other junk?
They will bolt right up. You will either need to use the brake rotors off of your dirt wheels or get a front caliper bracket to use the SM rotor on the front.
Z1Krob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #2268
Chilipepper
Baja wannabe

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1Krob
They will bolt right up. You will either need to use the brake rotors off of your dirt wheels or get a front caliper bracket to use the SM rotor on the front.
I would really recommend a front caliper bracket because on the street with good tires the dirt rotor doesn't have enough stopping power, and a stainless steel line too the long rubber one doesn't cut it.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 AM   #2269
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchuck
Hello riders--Could someone tell me if there was a big change between a 1999 and now DRZ. I found a 1999 DRZ and was thinking of buying it. Thanks Chuck
The DRZ400 came out in 2000. The S model got good shocks in 02'. The E model was down graded in 06' or 07' (S model cams & carb). Other than the cam chain tensioner, everything else is the same.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #2270
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by robklx400
The DRZ400 came out in 2000. The S model got good shocks in 02'. The E model was down graded in 06' or 07' (S model cams & carb). Other than the cam chain tensioner, everything else is the same.
Auto cam chain tensioner was upgraded starting all with the 2003 and newer models. Also, I would encourage you to keep your eyes open for a 2003 KLX400R or SR. They are the same bike as the DRZ; made by Suzi for Kawasaki. The R=Suzi E model, SR=S model. Kawi only sold them in 2003 so they aren't as common. That's what I have (see my avatar), a plated R model.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #2271
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper
I would really recommend a front caliper bracket because on the street with good tires the dirt rotor doesn't have enough stopping power, and a stainless steel line too the long rubber one doesn't cut it.
Thanks Chili.

I've been checking the cost of getting an SM setup. I use my bike for commuting when the weather is good enough and am tired of wearing down my nobbies on the slab. They also vibrate and are noisy. However, I think it will be cheaper to get a 2nd set of dirt rims and put more slab-friendly tires on them than to get an SM setup.

www.benddualsport.com

Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #2272
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250
However, I think it will be cheaper to get a 2nd set of dirt rims and put more slab-friendly tires on them than to get an SM setup.
Yup, that's what I did. I found a set of wheels on Ebay for about $400, they even came with a set of fairly good knobbies. So, I have a wheel set with Deathwings - the damn things just won't wear out - and one set with Pirelli Scorpions on them. Takes about 10 minutes to swap out. I would like to put a taller sprocket on the off-road rear but it would add too much time to the swap out.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #2273
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Bluhduh Unibiker Radiator guards + IMS 4 gal fuel tank

Hello All.

I'm in the process of setting up my DRZ400, and tried to get both the Unibiker radiator guards and the IMS 4.25 gallon fuel tank to fit.

Unfortunately, the braces that fit behind the radiator make contact with the IMS fuel tank. I fear that with enough vibration, the braces and screw heads will rub through the fuel tank.

Has anyone else had sucess getting both of these items to work together?
If so, what needs to be done to get them to work?

Thanks in advance.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #2274
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
Hello All.

I'm in the process of setting up my DRZ400, and tried to get both the Unibiker radiator guards and the IMS 4.25 gallon fuel tank to fit.

Unfortunately, the braces that fit behind the radiator make contact with the IMS fuel tank. I fear that with enough vibration, the braces and screw heads will rub through the fuel tank.

Has anyone else had sucess getting both of these items to work together?
If so, what needs to be done to get them to work?

Thanks in advance.
Q~
You may want to do a search on Thumpertalk. I know it is a common issue with that combination, but it seems some people get them to work fine while others have to make modifications. Not sure if it is user error or just variances in how the guards and tanks are made. That being said, I plan to install both in the near future and can hopefully make it work. I'm also not sure if the flatlander guards work better with the IMS tank, but it seems like the unibiker guards are more highly recommended.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #2275
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfixer
I would like to put a taller sprocket on the off-road rear but it would add too much time to the swap out.
Just get a longer chain to fit your dirt gearing.

www.benddualsport.com

Old 01-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #2276
Wingfixer
Watch this...

Oddometer: 3,575
Yeah that's what I meant about it adding too much time to the swap, changing chains out with the wheels. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it could be a pain. Any of you guys that have R&R'd the chain, how long does it take?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #2277
ward
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
IRC-1302 Enduro Tires

I am sorry to bump this to a new subject but before I think about buying a BMW Xchallange, I would like to know if the IRC-1302 Enduro 4.60 x 17" rear tire will fit on a DRZ400SM.

Since you are more expert with this than I, I am asking here. I don't want to change my wheels and tires (etc.) when I go to Colorado this summer and would like to know if those tires would work. I don't need an off-road-mud tire but I would like to have a little more capability crossing streams, etc.

Thanks in advance. Any info would help.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #2278
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfixer
Yeah that's what I meant about it adding too much time to the swap, changing chains out with the wheels. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it could be a pain. Any of you guys that have R&R'd the chain, how long does it take?
I'd say it would add no more than five minutes. Pull CS sprocket cover off, pull master link out, roll off 1st chain, roll on 2nd chain, master link, install CS sprocket cover. Did I miss anything?

www.benddualsport.com

Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 AM   #2279
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Just picked this up last night. It's a 2002 with 1700 miles for $3200.00. I shopped everywhere looking for a low mileage 400. I think I paid top dollar but the bike does have extras worth about a grand and the bikes in great condition..
Old 01-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #2280
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38
Just picked this up last night. It's a 2002 with 1700 miles for $3200.00. I shopped everywhere looking for a low mileage 400. I think I paid top dollar but the bike does have extras worth about a grand and the bikes in great condition..
Nice bike - it looks to be in near perfect condition, and it's got all the extras "we in the know" prefer to have on our bikes.

Nice garage too.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote