Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #2371
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Pig
I took a long ride on my new to me DRZ today and it seems that the trip meters and the odometer don't agree as to how far I have gone. How is that possible?
Notwithstanding a malfunction in the actual speedo cluster, I don't see how this could happen. It's just two separate counters running off the exact same data - in fact, the counters are probably just different software routines.

Doesn't one read in tenths and the other hundredths? My bet is that you made a small error in noting the starting mileage of one or the other. And the UI to manipulate the three odometers is incredibly obtuse.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #2372
teamhypoxia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
trip meter has a correction factor that can be adjusted +or- 30%more detail when I'm not on my phone
02 Ninja 250
02 DRZ400S
02 XR100
02 XR50
teamhypoxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #2373
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Pig
I took a long ride on my new to me DRZ today and it seems that the trip meters and the odometer don't agree as to how far I have gone. How is that possible?

Obviously there is a drive off the front wheel. Is there another drive of the transmission/engine somewhere that would account for the variance?

Got gas right before I came home. almost a 3/10 difference over 2 miles. I'm going to run the TAT on this and need accurate readings for the roll charts.

Any thoughts?
I've heard many comments on the inaccuracy of the stock DRZ speedo. My KLX400 has an Endurance instead (FYI, its a plated offroad model) and it seems to be right on when I've checked it.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #2374
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhypoxia
trip meter has a correction factor that can be adjusted +or- 30%more detail when I'm not on my phone
Good catch. That's probably it. Someone (perhaps you inadvertently) has probably put in a big correction factor on the trip counters and they probably don't affect the overall odometer which is hard-wired - thus the discrepency. See the last page of the speedo section in the OM (3-13 on mine).

- Mark
Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #2375
teamhypoxia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
blatantly ripped from a TT post:
"1. Push the Mode-Trip button to display the trip meter adjustable mode.
2. Push the Set-time/Trip button for two seconds to adjust the correction coefficient.
Note that when you are adjusting the correction factor of trip meter A, the bar on the LCD display will be under the A and the correction factor will be on the B-side of the LCD display. When you are adjusting the B trip meter, the bar will be under the B, and the correction factor will be shown on the left.
3. Push the adjust + and - buttons to adjust the correction factor.
4. Push the Set-time/Trip button to return to trip meter mode."

My version:
1. Push a lot of buttons and swear a lot
2. When you finally see a number between 70 and 130 in one of the trip meter spaces push the + or - to fix it (you're setting the other trip meter factor)
3. Push a lot more buttons and swear a lot more to set the other trip meter
4. make a lable showing the difference between what the clock says and the actual time and stick it near the clock so you can tell what time it is.
5. go ride
02 Ninja 250
02 DRZ400S
02 XR100
02 XR50
teamhypoxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #2376
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 581
Thanks all, great info. Luckily I have the OM from the PO. I going riding right now, but will tackle it when I get back (its 70 degrees here today). I know that cluster is useful for alot of people doing races etc. but for a lot of us its a pain in the ass. Must have taken me 20 minutes to set the clock.

Right on with the list hypoxia!

Other than that I love the bike, just wish it had a 6th gear.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #2377
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
DRZ400S exhaust heat shield & Dirt bagz panniers

I recently purchased a set of Dirt Bagz "Ranger" panniers for my '09 DRZ400S & was concerned about the exhaust melting the fabric. After a bit of research online, I found that the European spec SM model has a nice factory optional aluminum heat shield available - part # 990D0-29D00-68. I was able to order this from Robinsons Foundry in the UK for about $25.00 shipped.
It does require a little but of customizing with a Dremel tool around the top where the muffler bolts on & the locating and drilling of a couple of holes to make it fit, but it is worth the effort. -- Also required offsetting the bag mount bracket out about 15mm with a couple of spacers so that it would not contact the shield.
The Euro spec models have some pretty cool options not available here in the US - they have a sweet looking factory aluminum skid plate for the DRZ. Would have bought it but I just purchased the Thumper talk version...

I have pics to post but as a rank newbie I cannot figure that part out!
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #2378
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis
I recently purchased a set of Dirt Bagz "Ranger" panniers for my '09 DRZ400S & was concerned about the exhaust melting the fabric...
I have the Dirt-Bagz. Did you feel the standard standoff brackets were not going to do the job? They've worked fine for me.

- Mark
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #2379
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,805
Dont forget the taillight

The euro tail light fits into the rear fender just like it was make for it.....because it WAS.

It's smaller, rounder, and looks MUCH better than the US DOT square bit that we get.

Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #2380
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I have the Dirt-Bagz. Did you feel the standard standoff brackets were not going to do the job? They've worked fine for me.

- Mark
-- The bracket made contact with the shield. Would have fit perfectly W/O the added heat shield.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #2381
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
The euro tail light fits into the rear fender just like it was make for it.....because it WAS.

It's smaller, rounder, and looks MUCH better than the US DOT square bit that we get.

Dang - that IS nicer looking that the stock one. Looks like another order to Robinson's....
Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #2382
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis
-- The bracket made contact with the shield. Would have fit perfectly W/O the added heat shield.
My question was why you thought you needed the added heat shield to begin with. I've got the Dirt-Bagz and don't see how there is any way for the bags to contact the pipe. I'm probably missing something.

- Mark
Old 02-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #2383
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Post up the part nos if you get a chance.

- Mark
Old 02-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #2384
Lowrider49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
We'll...I brought home a 2005 400E today...now all I need to do is get it tagged!!

Can anyone recommend the easiest way to get the parts together to do the deed? I have looked at the kits and it seems they are all lacking something...some more than others.

Also, is there bar riser made for the E model that will offset the bars to the rear an inch or so?

I'm trying to not spend a lot on upgrades at the moment until I get over the cost of purchase and tagging. Ideas/opinions will be appreciated!!

Joe
Lowrider49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #2385
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 461
offset the bars to the rear? loosen the clamp and pull back to the desired position, maybe I'm misunderstanding. You can purchase risers, from several different manufacturers to raise the bar height
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider49
We'll...I brought home a 2005 400E today...now all I need to do is get it tagged!!

Can anyone recommend the easiest way to get the parts together to do the deed? I have looked at the kits and it seems they are all lacking something...some more than others.

Also, is there bar riser made for the E model that will offset the bars to the rear an inch or so?

I'm trying to not spend a lot on upgrades at the moment until I get over the cost of purchase and tagging. Ideas/opinions will be appreciated!!

Joe
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote