Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #3241
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplandscaping
thats pretty damn cool, I couldnt believe how well those stock trail wings cornered when i had them on my bike... got any more videos from your trackday, tell me you got an overtake or two on video
Thanks!

That's all for now, and unfortunately the good corners for pictures and video are not optimal for passing with a little bike. I should have some stills coming from other people though. I'm bringing the bike to the local go cart track on Wednesday. I think that will be even more fun!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #3242
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbwiden
Problem is that the 2003 and later ACCT place way too much pressure on the cam chain causing it to stretch. You will then have to replace the cam chain. With the MCCT the cam chain does not stretch and will last much longer.

using a 2002 and older ACCT is just a big gamble

Jbw
Took my 2000 DRZ E model in to the shop today after it died. Mechanic there who is working on it says that of all the DRZ that he has worked on, he has never seen a problem with an ACCT from any year. Says he has seen a few bikes come in with problems related to a MCCT though. People forgetting to adjust them.

He has never seen an ACCT cost anyone money, but he has seen a MCCT do so.

Not sure of my problem yet, but it might be cam chain related. I'll be going back to an ACCT.

The bike is a 2000 model with roughly 7000-8000 miles on it.
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #3243
Buck400S
n00b

Oddometer: 8
the new guy...again

I got my carb problems worked out on my 06 DRZ400S; it ran fine through my first tank of gas. I was on my way to fill up yesterday and she cut out on me...switched on to reserve and made it fine. I filled up and got on the road...5 miles later she cut out again. My guess was that, since I left it on Reserve, the tank went dry. I switched over to "ON" and ran it on full choke to get home (not good, I'm sure). I thought some more and switched to "PRI" (...prime, I'm guessing, but not sure even what that means). Anyway, since I ran it on prime for about a mile, she's stayed running, but haven't rode since. NOW TO MY QUESTION: Will I have any more problems, now that I've dealt w/ the reserve/"ON"/PRI switches, OR, am I way off with this whole fuel switch bit and can expect troubles next time I want to take her out? Your advice, as always, is greatly appreciated.
Buck400S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #3244
Moose_DK
No stress

Oddometer: 592
tourin the states on DRZ400

Hi
I just wanted to let you guys know that DRZ's is actually really good for travel too. We just startet our trip around the states a week ago.. and the bikes works great.. even with all of our crap loaded on them.. even if I look forward to when the tires need to be replaced.. would love some with a little more bite!! the original ones isnt really that good when the road gets worse..and more fun.. !!

If you would like to folles our two Suzuki's touring then check out our thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483092

this is from last week when we left Minneapolis

out somewhere in South Dakota

Our RR: M & M Touring the states. July 2009 to January 2010
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post10289818

Our danish blog
http://touringthestates.blogspot.com/

-------------------------
morgen stunden har guld i munden
men kan også ha ondt i hovedet
Moose_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #3245
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck400S
I got my carb problems worked out on my 06 DRZ400S; it ran fine through my first tank of gas. I was on my way to fill up yesterday and she cut out on me...switched on to reserve and made it fine. I filled up and got on the road...5 miles later she cut out again. My guess was that, since I left it on Reserve, the tank went dry. I switched over to "ON" and ran it on full choke to get home (not good, I'm sure). I thought some more and switched to "PRI" (...prime, I'm guessing, but not sure even what that means). Anyway, since I ran it on prime for about a mile, she's stayed running, but haven't rode since. NOW TO MY QUESTION: Will I have any more problems, now that I've dealt w/ the reserve/"ON"/PRI switches, OR, am I way off with this whole fuel switch bit and can expect troubles next time I want to take her out? Your advice, as always, is greatly appreciated.
I may be wrong, but do you have the stock vacuum-operated petcock? If so, check the hose from the petcock to the carb to make sure there are no air leaks or cracks in the hose. If this is not working, your fuel flow will be reduced, maybe forcing one to run the choke to keep the bike running.

My stock KLX400SR petcock failed in the opposite way - it was on all the time. I fixed it by replacing it with a $20 Yamaha WR400 manual petcock. YMMV.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #3246
Road Hog
anger management

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSafe
After todays 300 miles of trails, Ive decided to either make the seat taller and softer (my ass hurts) and or lower the pegs on the DRZ.. Im 6'2" 200lbs Muscular build, big feet.. So I feel cramped alittle, just trying to see what others have done, Im thinking of doing both (definatly the seat) but is there a setup that bolts up but lowers the pegs on the DRZ
bar risers and padded shorts
Old 07-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #3247
etmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
You need to be technically proficiency to use MCCT, if not a ACCT will be fine but every 1-2 years, do a check on the cam chain to see any wear or stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota
Took my 2000 DRZ E model in to the shop today after it died. Mechanic there who is working on it says that of all the DRZ that he has worked on, he has never seen a problem with an ACCT from any year. Says he has seen a few bikes come in with problems related to a MCCT though. People forgetting to adjust them.

He has never seen an ACCT cost anyone money, but he has seen a MCCT do so.

Not sure of my problem yet, but it might be cam chain related. I'll be going back to an ACCT.

The bike is a 2000 model with roughly 7000-8000 miles on it.
etmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #3248
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Talking

Quote:
Do you still have the smog canister on the bike? I am betting you do and if you ever get any fuel into the system it will do exactly what you describe. I would go to ThumperTalk and in the DRZ forum, at the top are stickey's and you will find the instructions to remove it. Just put it in a box and forget it.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #3249
Buck400S
n00b

Oddometer: 8
thanks for the advice...

Appreciate the feedback/advice on my most recent issue (dying out). I checked the hoses; no air. I am considering removing the smog canister, as suggested, but don't understand how fuel could have got in the system. *As I mentioned, this only became an issue once I filled up the tank. Still haven't run it yet since latest incident...will have some time this weekend...will keep you posted. Thanks again for your input.
Buck400S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #3250
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc
I have not hit the ground yet but yes I will let you know how it does Taco. I love the slick comment but since I ride my bike to work every day I can't see putting on the new tire I have till I need it, know what I mean!
Jeff,

I'm the same as you, I commute on nobbies too. I did the same to the same kind of tire last summer. This summer's victim is a Dunlop 606. We'll sse how it does.

Stuart

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #3251
edgy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Just got a new D606 as well,surprised that the stock Knobbie made 1900 kms so far!
`11 KTM690
edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #3252
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Talking

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback/advice on my most recent issue (dying out). I checked the hoses; no air. I am considering removing the smog canister, as suggested, but don't understand how fuel could have got in the system. *As I mentioned, this only became an issue once I filled up the tank. Still haven't run it yet since latest incident...will have some time this weekend...will keep you posted. Thanks again for your input.
All it takes is for you to overfill the tank just once and the fuel will get into the vent line on the bottom of the tank and poof, there you go. If it runs fine the next time you ride it well there you go but if you ride it off-road you will have the problem again due to the gas sloshing around. Just MHO of course.

You are very welcome and as always my adivce is just that, my advice, I am certenly NOT telling you what to do. Just passing along what I have learned from first hand experience. :-)
Old 07-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #3253
NotSafe
I Flied?

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Hog
bar risers and padded shorts
I was wearing padded shorts, and I have high rise bars, its my legs that feel cramped
Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #3254
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSafe
I was wearing padded shorts, and I have high rise bars, its my legs that feel cramped
shorter legs?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #3255
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Anyone with a yellow 03 or newer DRZ upgraded their tank and want to sale the stock one?
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote