Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #31
dohcfox
meh

Oddometer: 134
I have a 2006 DRZ400S that I took out on single track at Walker Valley in Washington State last weekend. Tons of fun, inspite of the stock 'Deathwings' that are still mounted to the rims.

For me, the biggest bangs for the buck were the JD Jetting kit/3X3 mod and 47 tooth sprocket.

http://jdjetting.server304.com/

Cheers!

JT
dohcfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #32
massrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
the best bang for the buck is the 3x3 and rejet, it really wakes the 400 up and then change to 14/47 gearing which is much better for off road but will still let you cruise at 65mph. protection and tires are the next step for any off road adventures.
the DRZ is the best (most fun) bike I've owned, it will do anything but it is not great at anything

[IMG][/IMG]
massrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #33
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasmick
"Not alot of people know that!" in a Michael Cane type of voice!

What is the gas tank you've got on your Kwaker/DRZ Rob?

Mick.
Yes, it's a clarke 3.9gal. I like the IMS 3gal, but I needed more gas.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #34
Ri-Ra
Burgeoning

Oddometer: 6,293
Hey, I'll contribute. DRZ400SMs rule! (especially in black)
Thanks for the time...
Oh, and I thought it was gutless at first, then I picked up my KLR. I don't think the DRZ is gutless anymore.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #35
Britmick OP
Banned

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by logging road rider
I got my '02 about a year ago. Love it. Haven't done anything motorwise except for the cam chain tensioner. Other changes include 14t front sprocket, case savers, skid plate, PMB rack, Kenda 270s, bar risers, hand guards, 4 gallon tank, sweet cheeks, tail light, and Wolfman tank bag. It also has a rifle scabbard and I purchased a 5-piece flyrod for some trips this summer. It spends a lot of time exploring logging roads and scouting hunting areas.
That looks like a bike that gets used as God intended it to be!
Maybe we should have a "sub-thread" to vote for who we think gets the most smiles per gallon outa there DRZ???????????

Mick.
Britmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #36
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 296
Thumb IMS Fuel Tanks on DRZ400

I have to agree that the DRZ400 is a lot more fun than the street bikes I've owned. I've had my 2005 since Feb 06 and have had a lot of great rides, most of them dual sport vs street rides

I would like to know what riders have run into when mounting their after market tanks. I read one post that "massaged the tank into place." I purchased a 4 gal IMS tank that I am very pleased with now. Installation was a bitch. Not wanting to put stress on the radiator at the shroud mounting points, I made offset brackets - the bolt holes were off by 1/4 inch. On the rear mounts I altered one bracket and lined up the holes by pushing the tank forward with a lever. Are they all this difficult?

On another note, I found that the Acerbis locking gas cap works on the IMS tank - may be old news, but feels better when taking long trips and leaving the bike unattended.
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #37
joedints
Chigger Bait

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright

I would like to know what riders have run into when mounting their after market tanks. .
I had a clark 3.9 and it bolted up no issues at all...
NJ PINELANDS...
Protect and Preserve... DO NOT PROHIBIT!!!!!
joedints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #38
rallydrz
Worst Case Scenario

Oddometer: 276
Hey Logging Road Rider, nice pic where is that?
rallydrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #39
Colorado4Wheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillupright
I would like to know what riders have run into when mounting their after market tanks. I read one post that "massaged the tank into place." I purchased a 4 gal IMS tank that I am very pleased with now. Installation was a bitch. Not wanting to put stress on the radiator at the shroud mounting points, I made offset brackets - the bolt holes were off by 1/4 inch. On the rear mounts I altered one bracket and lined up the holes by pushing the tank forward with a lever. Are they all this difficult?

On another note, I found that the Acerbis locking gas cap works on the IMS tank - may be old news, but feels better when taking long trips and leaving the bike unattended.
I installed a Acerbis 4.2 yesterday. Went in with zero issues. It has dual petcock so it emptys fully from both sides. I thought I had a issue with the tank hitting my riser bars but then I noticed the previous owner had put the adapter blocks on backwards. Once I revesed them to the right spot I had full lock with not hitting on the tank.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #40
rallydrz
Worst Case Scenario

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheeler
I installed a Acerbis 4.2 yesterday. Went in with zero issues. It has dual petcock so it emptys fully from both sides. I thought I had a issue with the tank hitting my riser bars but then I noticed the previous owner had put the adapter blocks on backwards. Once I revesed them to the right spot I had full lock with not hitting on the tank.
Just a heads up, I beleive the Acerbis will only fit the E model, not sure but would be worth investigating before purchasing for an S or SM
rallydrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #41
workerant
Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer: 1,879
I've got a big gas tank too. It's the Aqualine Safari tank - it holds 8.something gallons. My bike (2005 DRZ400S) is the last one in the line.

I'm behind the camera on this one.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #42
Colorado4Wheeler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallydrz
Just a heads up, I beleive the Acerbis will only fit the E model, not sure but would be worth investigating before purchasing for an S or SM
It's only the fans on the S and SM that cause the problems. Relocate them and you can make the thing work I hear. Research it to find out how. I know it's only the fans that cause the problem. I would guess you can move the fan low and make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant
I've got a big gas tank too. It's the Aqualine Safari tank - it holds 8.something gallons. My bike (2005 DRZ400S) is the last one in the line.

I'm behind the camera on this one.
That is one BIG tank.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #43
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I have an 02 that I bought in 02. I have put many many miles on my drz and poored alot of money into mods(too many to mention) I love the bike and appreciate it more with every ride. I just got a Husky te610 and hope to love it as much. I probably never get rid of my drz it is so good at so many things.....if only it had a 6th gear.
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #44
robbieDRZ
Ride through it!!

Oddometer: 8
What is the gas tank you've got on your Kwaker/DRZ Robbie?

Mick.[/quote]

my gas tank is factory 10L i think

i got stuck....hehehe
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #45
dirt missile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ
Best bang for the buck inexpensively is the 3 x 3 with jetting and gear a little lower. Here's mine packed from a ride over the weekend....I rode down from St. Louis with a few ADVer's to Arkansas and did a section of the TAT. A little over 1000 miles in 3 days. We hit gravel roads as much as possible and even tight ATV trails in southern Missouri. If you have not rode western Arkansas in the Ozark Mountains you need to. What an awesome place. BTW - yes I took too much crap but the bike carried it fine at 60 to 65 mph. Low speed manuevering was another story.
Is that a tiny wind screen on there? What kind? Does it work OK?
dirt missile is offline   Reply With Quote