Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #9766
mr. matteeanne
Bender can pass him

Oddometer: 14,280
Out in North East Wa, have my DRZ400 and on my way out of town we bought an 83' DR125 than runs perfect. This is a full size bike, 18" rear and 21" front air cooled with a 6speed. Full out in first gear is about 6mph. It could not do a wheely with a crane.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #9767
-TRED-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by corybaby View Post
So just took my first dirt ride on the DRZ, compared to my KLR it was like a quarter horse vs a Really old and FAT elephant............ what a BLAST! tires are sweet too, d606 rear and a d952 front, pretty good on the street too!

Need to adjust a few things, bars are too low and back.......what model or style pro taper or renthals do you guys recommend to bring them up about an inch or so and forward if possible? without having to put extenders.? i could live with them if they were higher but not moved forward........
The pegs are too small,even without the rubber inserts..........
My makeshift rack solution sucked, so a real one is on the way...........
Do i really have to learn military time?...........i guess i can do this last one.......
Love the ride!
I just switched out my bars too. The ones on it when I bought put my elbows and hands too close to me. I put on protapers with one inch risers. I know you say you don't want risers, but I could not put mine on without them. The top of the front forks are in the way with the protapers. You can see what I mean from the photo. The bars extend out to far at the base and would not fit correct.

I acutally find that I like them higher, wider, and more to the front of the bike, Now my hands and elbows aren't right at my side. I have better control of the bike, and it makes control while standing way easier.

Different strokes for different people, so your going to have to pick a setup and tweek it from there to find what you like.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Attached Images

I was going really fast until I crashed.....BRAAAAP!
-TRED- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #9768
B3EAR
Sheepdog

Oddometer: 126
I got "YELLOW" fever!!!

I'm doing it boys & girls... On my way to pick up an 07' DRZ400s with 5000m for $2500. It's in excellent condition. A riding buddy bought from a farmer in California who never licensed it for on road use, just used it around the farm. Buddy took it out for his first ride and promptly went off the side of the mountain. Needless to say, he decided he wasn't into that sort of thing... He's 50+ and his wife got the better of him. Anyway, I have 20+ years to catch up! When he bought it he took it in to a local bike shop to have it serviced and he got her all licensed up. It's bone stock so will you guys be so kind as to point me in right directions to get this thing ripping!!! What are the "must have's" & things I should be looking at? I'll be mainly riding it off road, so new sprockets and a bigger tank are among the first "to do's" It's been great reading all about your guys rides. Can't wait to share my experiences with it.
B3EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #9769
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
Going to look at a 2000 DRZ400E this afternoon.

It has a title, but is not currently tagged. Based on my research, getting the bike tagged in Missouri is relatively easy once you've got the bike fitted out to pass the safety inspection.

The seller is asking $2200 OBO.

Supposedly the bike has a new clutch and a freshly rebuilt carburetor.

I was going to offer $1900 and go up to $2000 - too much or just right?

http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/2504460437.html

Thanks for any and all advice.

Mike
Well, I checked out the bike, and while it was fairly clean. It does have some issues with the title as the current owner never sent the title in to the state, so when it does get sent in for the new owner there's going to be some fees involved to get the title transferred, probably another $200.00

Not sure what to do, most likely just keep looking. There's a 2003 KLX400S about an hour away that is already street legal and doesn't have title problems.

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #9770
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
Well, I checked out the bike, and while it was fairly clean. It does have some issues with the title as the current owner never sent the title in to the state, so when it does get sent in for the new owner there's going to be some fees involved to get the title transferred, probably another $200.00

Not sure what to do, most likely just keep looking. There's a 2003 KLX400S about an hour away that is already street legal and doesn't have title problems.

Thanks for reading.
Drop that deal u can find something way better for $2200 or so.
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #9771
firemedic3293
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3EAR View Post
I'm doing it boys & girls... On my way to pick up an 07' DRZ400s with 5000m for $2500. It's in excellent condition. A riding buddy bought from a farmer in California who never licensed it for on road use, just used it around the farm. Buddy took it out for his first ride and promptly went off the side of the mountain. Needless to say, he decided he wasn't into that sort of thing... He's 50+ and his wife got the better of him. Anyway, I have 20+ years to catch up! When he bought it he took it in to a local bike shop to have it serviced and he got her all licensed up. It's bone stock so will you guys be so kind as to point me in right directions to get this thing ripping!!! What are the "must have's" & things I should be looking at? I'll be mainly riding it off road, so new sprockets and a bigger tank are among the first "to do's" It's been great reading all about your guys rides. Can't wait to share my experiences with it.
case savers/ grind the sharp point off of the levers so you dont puncture your case on a get off. one of the first things i did + new skid plate and hand guards, I got the double take mirrors (Love them), promoto billet rear rack, battery tender. clarke 3.9gal fuel tank so far works great with the WR450 pet cock so It has an On/ OFF/ Res. (the part number is somewhere earlier in this thread).
SPOT Shared Page
RDS Adventure D/S Forum
firemedic3293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #9772
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
I recommend the Rugged Rider DRZ rack all day long http://ruggedrider.com/products.html

Sorry, but every time I see one of those racks I wonder who lost their ironing board.

I'm not sure who the OP is on this picture:

Those forks are raised awfully high. I suspect the front tire would be hitting the bottom of the fender if you bottom out. If ride height is the issue, you should shim your damper rods with a piece of PVC and shorten the spring spacer to shorten travel.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #9773
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3EAR View Post

Remove the smog equipment if it still has it.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #9774
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Small Battery source

Hi folks
A little while back the subject of LIS batteries was discussed (I thought it was this group anyway).
Something about a company in Holland, bottom line was they cost big $

Here's a link to one that's cheaper and perfectly OK our local lads have them on those ORANGE bikes !

http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnT...y/Welcome.html

So if you want to add more STUFF on your rides, go for it

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #9775
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Changed my chain and sprockets in my dark and dirty garage tonight. I thought you guys might enjoy this.

Should I be changing the chain roller, or the guides at the same time? I've never had a bike with a roller before, but it looks kinda worn to me (bike has 4500 miles, I'm guessing it's probably the original)

VTSteve screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 01:02 AM
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #9776
shannonr73
DR BIG Rider 73

Oddometer: 288
Great little vid VTSteve..

I have a question someone may know.. I have stripped my rear shock off and new(1300km old) shock is on it's way from the US of A and am looking at changing my sprockets whilst I'm at it.. I haven't seen the setup I have in any posts so it worries me.. It's 15/51.. What would be the best for adventure riding? I have a good 47 one on hand and may stay with the front 15.. Also changed my first throttle cable! I do like how easy the drz is to work on..

Anyway thanks for any advice..

Shannon
shannonr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 AM   #9777
shannonr73
DR BIG Rider 73

Oddometer: 288
Well I'll give it a try.. Thanks
shannonr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #9778
Guy Fawkes
Wanderer

Oddometer: 33
Chain Adjustment

Is there a good rule of thumb for chain adjustment? I had the dealer put a new chain on a few months back and it is now time to do some tire changing and chain adjustment. How do you tell when you have the propper tension?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #9779
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fawkes View Post
How do you tell when you have the propper tension?
according to the manual, with the bike on the ground on the kick stand, measure the distance from the top of the bottom run of the chain to the bottom of the swingarm (at the point in the middle of the bottom run of the chain) twice...once with the chain pushed up as far as it will go and once with the chain pulled down as far as it will go. the difference in the two measurements should be 1.6" to 2". personally, i suggest 2". a chain that is too tight will cause a lot more problems than a chain that is too loose.

i often just use the "three fingers between the top of the swingarm and the bottom of the top run of the chain" technique and that seems to give about 2" of slack when measured according to the book procedure.

really, though, the proper way to do it is to put the bike on a stand, disconnect the rear shock, move the swingarm into position so it forms a straight line between the front and rear sprocket (this is the point in the arc of the swingarm at which the sprockets are furthest apart), and adjust the chain so it is just a little loose at that point.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #9780
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I just set mine up for 14/47 gearing, but left my new chain at 114 links instead of the specified 112. It's near the edge, but I still have a few notches of adjustment if the chain stretches any. My thinking is that I can install a bigger rear sprocket down the line if I want to (or a bigger front), and it makes getting the rear wheel on and off alot easier.
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote