Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #10426
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
The TT FCR kit is pretty good but not jetted perfect for everyone. Figure out (ask) about jetting (recommended by "experts" and go from there. It really needs a pipe to work right though. But is worth the $$$.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #10427
tahoe_sasquatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Header difference between 400s and 400e ?

I continue to discover little secrets PO of my DRZ400s have left for me. I just found out my muffler must be from 400e as the middle mounting point does not fit the hole in passenger foot peg... the question I have now, is the header also from E? Any good way to tell 100%?

Also my valves are on tighter side of the limits .1 and .2mm - should I replace the shims now or do another check in lets say 1000 miles and see how they behave?

I love the bike. Just got IMS tank for her and I even started to like the way she looks ;). I might be posting pics soon...

Yeti
tahoe_sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #10428
soul_adventurer
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 331
a couple of questions

is it possible to get a center stand for the E model?

also, whats the reasons why people fit handlebar risers to their bikes?
soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #10429
southy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post

I've never heard of or seen a centre stand on a DRZ but with a little shed engineering anything is possible.

Bar risers are simple to raise the bars to make standing on the pegs for long periods of time more comfortable, especially for tall people. There are some that move the bars forward giving a bit more cockpit room.

The DRZ is built standard with a tall seat height and a short reach to the bars. Perfect for those with long legs and short arms.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #10430
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
This is one of the trailtech options for the ATV's.... should allow you to keep the standard bars, but could be cheaper to change the bars rather than the bar mount. Either way, it's another option/something to think about.
FYI. I run the trailtech's on my bike--- Sweet. (You can see pics in my thread)
I dont know how I missed your post but I appreciate the info. I will readup on your thread for details. Thank You

Updated... I read your DRZ Safari buildup thread and noticed at some points you ran the Trailtech X2, and also the Polisport unit as well. How did you like the Polisport performance and weight if you remember that info?

On another note I recall some guys wishing for a Wide ratio Trans for the DRZ. Well there is a fella making a WR Tranny kit for the DRZ currently. The first batch had 5th gear clearance issues so a new 5th gear is in the works. There is also speculation that the engine will not pull the wider ratios in stock form, so the WR kit may only be suitable for modded engines.

bobbed06 screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 10:28 PM
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #10431
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post

Personal fitment and preference. Nothing more.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:40 AM   #10432
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
I dont know how I missed your post but I appreciate the info. I will readup on your thread for details. Thank You

Updated... I read your DRZ Safari buildup thread and noticed at some points you ran the Trailtech X2, and also the Polisport unit as well. How did you like the Polisport performance and weight if you remember that info?
Polisport: As far as weight goes, you don't even notice it's there. The light would be good enough to get you home, albiet slowly, in the dark on a trail ride.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #10433
soul_adventurer
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Personal fitment and preference. Nothing more.
yeah, figured as much but still wanted to ask!
soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #10434
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Best way to lift rear wheel

I know this has surely been discussed and I tried the search function. What's the best way to raise the rear wheel to do chain cleaning and lubing? I have a pit bull for my ZRX and my GS has a center stand. I have a hydrallic lift but it seems to be too unstable for use under the skid plate of the DRZ. Thanks.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #10435
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
I know this has surely been discussed and I tried the search function. What's the best way to raise the rear wheel to do chain cleaning and lubing? I have a pit bull for my ZRX and my GS has a center stand. I have a hydrallic lift but it seems to be too unstable for use under the skid plate of the DRZ. Thanks.
I use the lift stand from Harbor Freight and for about $30.00 you cant beat it, it will lift either end just fine and it has a locking pin to keep it from dropping.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #10436
kmax
Kruzer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by exjeeper View Post
I need your help. I have a 2001 DR-Z400e and I'm looking for a good rack for the rear fender. I don't really like the looks of the Rack-It or the Pro Moto. They are both too short or too boxy. I like the looks of the Rugged Rider rack but I THINK it is only available for the S and Sm models, not the e model. Any body know of a good one that is around 12-14" long, and kinda follows the contour of the fender? I want one that has 4 mounting points, not 2 or 3 like I mostly see. Thanks in advance for the help!
i am using H&B rack for DRZ SM.. with some mounting reinforcements.

have not really tested with load, but good to use for grab-rail when i fall ..

Old 09-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #10437
kmax
Kruzer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmax View Post
i got the bike from AJ.... and compiled a few pics on lazy afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uv6dCNEvrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeZT_rjQsPw
some pics of mounting the LED work light.. much cheaper option compared to HID
and i am using small 2.5A light weight battery...

here's small 2.5A lightweight batt

kmax screwed with this post 09-08-2011 at 09:35 AM
kmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #10438
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
I cut a piece of wood down to stuck under the skidplate. Make it a few inches taller then then skidplate naturally sits at, then lift the rear wheel in the air (front wheel and kickstand still on ground) and complete the tripod with the wood. It's free (or cheap) and it's effective. I've changed tires with the setup and i'm confident that it's stable if you do it right. You do the front wheel by moving the wood to the front of the skidplate instead of the rear.

An inmate make a professional version of this, it's a telescopic tube, that raises when you put it under the bike, and doesn't go back down when weight is put on it. It's better to carry on the trail, as it collapses down to half it's size when not in use.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #10439
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

I think I am in love with this headlight.

http://www.trailtech.net/4832-SSD-40.html

I need to dig a bit on stator output but if I remember correctly the DRZ has 180watts available, and this light will work well. Comparo here

http://trailtech.net/light_comparison.html

I had never seen the trailtech light comparo before. Its a great feature.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #10440
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe_sasquatch View Post
I continue to discover little secrets PO of my DRZ400s have left for me. I just found out my muffler must be from 400e as the middle mounting point does not fit the hole in passenger foot peg... the question I have now, is the header also from E? Any good way to tell 100%?

Also my valves are on tighter side of the limits .1 and .2mm - should I replace the shims now or do another check in lets say 1000 miles and see how they behave?

I love the bike. Just got IMS tank for her and I even started to like the way she looks ;). I might be posting pics soon...

Yeti
The opening into the muffler on an E is larger than an S. So an S head pipe would require some additional shimming at the joint to seal. It might or might not show depends on the PO install. Run to a dealer do a quicky measurement as all stock head pipes are the small ones now.

I have been told by reliable Mechs that if they are in spec they are in spec. Ride on. Worry about movement at this point. Maybe check every 1000 miles or 2000 or whatever you are comfortable with. They generally settle then don't move until just prior to bad things. Do they need to be checked often? No. Do I check mine often? Yes, usually annually but stick to no more 2000 ish miles. (I have other bikes as well ) I go by when I have a chance to, rather than mileage. Not OMG 1001 miles park the bike.

So this opens the argument to better running whether loose or tight whatever. I have always prefered tighter in most things....
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote