Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #10471
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
So ive been having a reaccuring problem. My clutch gradually gets loose over a relativly short period of time. I have to tighten the cable 2,3,4 times a ride. 08drz new clutch, thinking the cable is bad? I have a set of asv levers on the bike. Any thoughts?

Mine recently loosened and I adjusted it at the hand lever. A week or two later it felt loose again and as I squeezed it a few times, wondering about it, the cable broke off. Luckily I was heading into my driveway instead of being miles away. A new OEM one is about $20. I'd go ahead and order a new one if I were you.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #10472
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
So ive been having a reaccuring problem. My clutch gradually gets loose over a relativly short period of time. I have to tighten the cable 2,3,4 times a ride. 08drz new clutch, thinking the cable is bad? I have a set of asv levers on the bike. Any thoughts?
My initial thought is, why would an 08 DRZ need a new clutch? Second thought is, check the other end of the cable. Could be slipping.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #10473
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
WR = Wide Ratio.

There is a thread on TT somewhere. Gears were cut, but beyond that I don't know.
Oh, okay I thought you meant it was adapted from a WR :P Anyway is there a website or something?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #10474
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictitious View Post
Oh, okay I thought you meant it was adapted from a WR :P Anyway is there a website or something?
I just emailed him requesting the current status. Its just a regular fella so no website. The new revised gears (2nd set) are due very soon. Supposed to see a 26% increase in spread compared to stock.

The first set had some 5th gear clearance issues requiring some shift fork clearancing. I am thinking the new set will require less work to fit into the cases.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #10475
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Guys, I need some small hardware and absolutely hate to think about paying 7-10 bux shipping for these washers so I am asking for a bit of help. Do any of you have extra lower radiator shroud washers that you would be willing to drop in an envelope and send me? I have Paypal.

Part 28-1 (I need four of them)

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?...05&model=10127

I am gonna head to the Hardware store and see if I can find a suitable substitute now.
I went to every hardware store in my town and no luck on the spacers I need. I did find a nice family owned hardware store that carried a great selection of stainless and metric hardware, with a knowledgable young lady as an added bonus So I was able to get all the bolts I needed but am still in NEED OF THESE SPACERS. I am gonna try the local Suzuki Honda shop in the morning but have little hope in them actually stocking anything useful.

I am gonna take a picture of what I am needing in HOPES that SOMEONE HERE take PITY on me and send me these from your bolt stash!! I have a box of DRZ nuts and bolts and will swap or pay for these parts.

Pics incoming

Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #10476
Drizzt
Ranger

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
I went to every hardware store in my town and no luck on the spacers I need. I did find a nice family owned hardware store that carried a great selection of stainless and metric hardware, with a knowledgable young lady as an added bonus So I was able to get all the bolts I needed but am still in NEED OF THESE SPACERS. I am gonna try the local Suzuki Honda shop in the morning but have little hope in them actually stocking anything useful.

I am gonna take a picture of what I am needing in HOPES that SOMEONE HERE take PITY on me and send me these from your bolt stash!! I have a box of DRZ nuts and bolts and will swap or pay for these parts.

Pics incoming
My bike just has a normal washer in there. It's not perfect but it works just fine. It looks like it might have been a little bit of a hassle to get in there cause it's really tight, but once it's in there you don't have to worry about it again cause it'll just stay there!

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things? Pirsig
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #10477
focallength
?

Oddometer: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
My initial thought is, why would an 08 DRZ need a new clutch? Second thought is, check the other end of the cable. Could be slipping.
10k plus miles, clutch was wearing out. Its weird nothing is moving the lever just gets loose. I have some new cables, ill swap it out, just curious if anyone else had this problem.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #10478
eternalRider
Ride to Live!

Oddometer: 57
I am going to make a dakar style fairing for my bike its a sm but i have dirt wheels also and i am trying to figure out what light to use i was thinking the 2010 versys head light and a fairing similar to the ktm 990 what do you guys think? i kinda want to go with a some kind of dual style head light this is a quick mock up i made it needs to be refined and smoothed but what do you guys think I would make it meet up the tank flairs or what ever you call them.
eternalRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #10479
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalRider View Post
I am going to make a dakar style fairing for my bike its a sm but i have dirt wheels also and i am trying to figure out what light to use i was thinking the 2010 versys head light and a fairing similar to the ktm 990 what do you guys think? i kinda want to go with a some kind of dual style head light this is a quick mock up i made it needs to be refined and smoothed but what do you guys think I would make it meet up the tank flairs or what ever you call them.
The challenge is the mounting. If you want it to turn with the bars, there's some examples somewhere within the last few weeks (I think, could be a bit further, but not much). If you want it to join the tank there's a few issues to consider:
  • How far forward from the bars do you need to mount it to allow the bars to turn. (Try about half way along the front guard... maybe a bit less)
  • How to get it to stay there. (Check my thread for how I did mine- last page)

PS: I'm not happy with the paint on this version- I was playing with what I had in the shed.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #10480
00-SEB-00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Ok guys, I promised to keep you updated about our trip with two DRZ E's to Northern Africa... well, we leave tomorrow morning!

Unfortunately I will not be able to check the ADV forum here every now and then and other places, so I thought of making a website with map etc so the ones who are interested can follow us wherever we go in the world with our yellow machines...

If I have to much time when we get back, I will of course replace the blablabla here, but when travelling I like to concentrate on one place, so you can follow us on: WWW.WANDERINGSOULS.BE

The idea is that everytime we post something a new red pointer shows where it is, so you can basically follow us... and every red pointer is a link to blabla and pictures and comments... well, you'll figure it out!

Please, feel free to leave any comment as it suits you on the site/blog...

Seb & Kim
00-SEB-00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #10481
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
My bike just has a normal washer in there. It's not perfect but it works just fine. It looks like it might have been a little bit of a hassle to get in there cause it's really tight, but once it's in there you don't have to worry about it again cause it'll just stay there!
I went to the local dealer and of course they had nothing. So I came home and while I sat upon the throne for my morning dookie I picked up a Dirt Freak catalog and low and behold I found exactly what I needed from DRC. I am gonna call Monday and check availability. bonus is the bolts are available in Anodized Aluminum along with the Various Styles of Spacers and Colors As well. I needed to order my speedo eliminator from the same guy anyway so I can setup my Trailtech Vapor.

I am a stickler for details and prefer the shrouds to float a bit so I can tighten the bolts enough that they dont rattle loose, yet dont pinch the shrouds and plastics too tightly.I am so far behind on this build now that I am just gonna take my time and button up the fab work cleanly. I am dealing with a rib injury anyways.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #10482
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post

I just reread his question. Sounds strange that he has to readjust it 2-4 times during a ride.

But the cable can't "slip" on either end because there's a little barrel end thing made onto each end. You have to buy the entire cable/housing assenbly, not just a new cable.

Whatever it is you'd better figure it out and get it fixed.....cause you sort'a need your clutch working right.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #10483
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
loose clutch basket nut

Old 09-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #10484
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
So, for a dude like me-about 5'9" or so, and 180 lbs., I just read that the Corbin seat lowers things a bit. I really feel the DRZ is a bit too tall for me. It wouldn't be too bad for street riding, but for off road with all the uneven surfaces, I'd be afraid of dropping the bike etc. Anyone shed light on about how much the Corbin (or any other bransd) may lower things?

jon
Birdmove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #10485
-TRED-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
raise pegs or lower rear brake

looking to either raise my foot pegs (specificly the right one, but should do both if possible), or lower the rear brake possition. Suggestions on mod if possible?

I was going really fast until I crashed.....BRAAAAP!
-TRED- is offline   Reply With Quote