Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #91
Britmick OP
Banned

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle
Funny you ask, I'm about to order the Unabikers. They seem to be very popular on TT. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they look fairly strong & cover the entire radiator. Good luck either way!
l've done some reading up on the 2 guards(Unabiker & Flatland)& it seems the Unabiker is the better of the 2,but a real bitch to fit!!!!
Now it took me 2&1/2hrs to fit the Flatland(biggest problem was remounting the horn!),so if you do get the Unabiker model,stay home Friday night,no beer,early to bed,& dedicate the whole of Saturday to fitting it,& then you've still got Sunday if you mess up!

Good luck Bear,Mick.
Britmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #92
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
I have Unabikers and it wasn't that bad. Just do not tighten anything up until all bolts are started. I installed mine on a Saturday morning. If I remember correctly, I had one problem with the right hand upper bolt rubbing a line but I put some adhesive fuzzy velcro down on that part. I also had to wallow out the holes where the plastic radiator shrouds lower screws go in but the dremel took care of that quickly too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasmick
l've done some reading up on the 2 guards(Unabiker & Flatland)& it seems the Unabiker is the better of the 2,but a real bitch to fit!!!!
Now it took me 2&1/2hrs to fit the Flatland(biggest problem was remounting the horn!),so if you do get the Unabiker model,stay home Friday night,no beer,early to bed,& dedicate the whole of Saturday to fitting it,& then you've still got Sunday if you mess up!

Good luck Bear,Mick.

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #93
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:

Good luck Bear,Mick.
Thanks! I'll be sure to set aside a day. I really don't mind working on the bike as long as I'm adding improvements & not having to fix something broken!
Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #94
Stillupright
Make my day

Oddometer: 298
Question TKC80 tire pressure

I'm changing to TKC80s on my DRZ. Any good suggestions on what pressure to run for overall use, that is, road and trail
Stillupright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #95
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,926
I'm using the Contis on my AfricaAlp (modded Transalp). Running 28 front 33 rear. I've aired down in the dirt but it doesn't seem to have too much affect unless its real muddy.

The Contis have a fairly soft sidewall (you'll find that when you mount them) and are great on pavement too. If it's rocky where you ride, I'd start higher and air down slowly so you don't ding a rim. Im using Pirellis on my DRZ and the Alp is a bit heavier....hopefully the comments will help.

Ray
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #96
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Wider foot pegs

I installed a pair of IMS pro series foot pegs today. They're almost twice as wide as the stockers. Makes a nice platform to stand on. They seem to be really good quality.

So if any of you guys are looking for a little bit more stability in the "what the hell am I standing on" department, these are a good option!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...wmod&mid=47936
Old 05-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #97
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Red unabikers radiator guards...

Quote:

Good luck Bear,Mick.

Hey Mick, I installed my unabikers today. It took me about 2 1/2 hours or so. I had to re-tap a couple of threads on the support rods, but over all, not to bad a job. I bought the nice, shiny red ones.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #98
Just Plain Bill
Geezer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by massrider
the best bang for the buck is the 3x3 and rejet, it really wakes the 400 up and then change to 14/47 gearing which is much better for off road but will still let you cruise at 65mph. protection and tires are the next step for any off road adventures.
the DRZ is the best (most fun) bike I've owned, it will do anything but it is not great at anything

[IMG][/IMG]
What kind of seat is that massrider? It almost appears (dare I say it?) comfortable. At least it appears wider and that's a step in the right direction. So far, the seat has been my only real complaint about my DRZ-E and I'm working on a fix for it.
Just Plain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #99
Green Hornet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Green DRZ

Go Green! My therapy.....
Name:  Picture_012__Large_ (Medium).jpg
Views: 16628
Size:  100.8 KB
Green Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #100
Britmick OP
Banned

Quote:
Hey Mick, I installed my unabikers today. It took me about 2 1/2 hours or so. I had to re-tap a couple of threads on the support rods, but over all, not to bad a job. I bought the nice, shiny red ones.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...abikers035.jpg
nice job Bear!!

Only 2&1/2hrs,you musta been a mechanic in a previous life dude!

have you got your own "garage" page in the Thumpertalk forums?

Mine is http://thumpertalk.com/forum/garage....hicle&vid=9868 BUT,you might only get to view it if you're registered on their web-site at www.thumpertalk.com

Mick.

PS,l'm Englishmick on TT.

Britmick screwed with this post 06-01-2007 at 03:05 PM
Old 06-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #101
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
nice job Bear!!

Only 2&1/2hrs,you musta been a mechanic in a previous life dude!

have you got your own "garage" page in the Thumpertalk forums?

Mick.
I've always had a knack for tinkering. Also, I fix planes for a living.

And yes, I have a TT garage:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...hicle&vid=3141
Old 06-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #102
Britmick OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet
Go Green! My therapy.....
Attachment 118315
Nice bike Greeny!

Are there many trails in NJ?

Mick.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #103
Britmick OP
Banned

Quote:
I've always had a knack for tinkering. Also, I fix planes for a living.

And yes, I have a TT garage:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...hicle&vid=3141
I see you've spent $70 more than me so far on mod's,hmmm!,l must buy that oversized gas tank!!!!!!!!

l suppose being a plane fixer does give you a bit of a head start when it comes to the 'spannering' department!

Mick.

PS,what is the GO Spurs referal to?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #104
Bear on a bicycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I see you've spent $70 more than me so far on mod's,hmmm!,l must buy that oversized gas tank!!!!!!!!

l suppose being a plane fixer does give you a bit of a head start when it comes to the 'spannering' department!

Mick.

PS,what is the GO Spurs referal to?
THE San Antonio Spurs! They are in the NBA finals & will face either the Cleveland Cavaliers or the Detroit Pistons for the championship. Living in San Antonio over the last 13 years, I've become a fan. Nothing outrageous, I don't always paint my face when I paint my gut to match the team colors...

How about a link to your garage?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #105
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,283
I have a 2001 DRZ 400E which I bought used back in 04. The previous owner had already gotten a title for it so I just installed a dual sport kit. The bike gets ridden hard and used often but I do regular maintenance also.

mods include:
2 Trail Tech HID lights....just got em, looking forward to being able to see in the dark. I am think of mounting one MR16 halogen light for driving during the day so as not to blind anyone with my non road legal trailtech HID's.

Kenda trackmaster tires
Happy trails tail rack
bar risers
used skid plate off of ebay (its ugly but works well)
Devol radiator guards..they work well and have the dents to prove it
CFC case guards
High bars
Just installed a rekluse clutch with a new Dunlop clutch.
Installing a Scotts steering stabilizer next week.
IMS 3.2 gallon tank
Black front fender (reflects less light back at me at night...still want to paint it flat black).
Factory connection work done on forks and rear shock by previous owner. I will be sending the suspension back to them for an overhaul in a couple weeks.
Custom LED 2nd brake light...need replace stock brake light as the 1157 bulbs keep exploding from the vibration.
stock exhaust
Stock seat....need a better one.
Chris Herman built Brush guards mounted on Moose hand guards. I had a set of the Tusk units but the mount broke.
Endurance computer and aluminum mount for distance and speedo, also have an ICO to mount.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote