Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #10516
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
I quoted myself does that mean I am talking to myself?
I would be more worried that you ANSWERED yourself!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #10517
Naq
Kitsune

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Well I spoke with Cannon Racecraft and obtained the specs on the DRZ springs and they are very similar in OD to the Race Techs I already have in my possession.

Race Tech Springs OD 43.5mm vs Cannons at 43mm OD
Race Tech Springs Free Length are 508mm vs Cannons at 505mm

BOTH are shot peened finish which I am kinda bummed about as I was hoping to get smooth finish, but the peening finish gives the springs more longevity so I understand the need for that.

The end plate at the bottom of the fork is tapered to center the spring and the top floats on the preload washer(s). As long as both ends are flat there should be very little drag after its been cycled a few times. Did you assemble both forks? Do they sound the same? I didn't measure the the OD on the .48kg springs I'm using, but I'll have to check if they make any noticeable noise.

'02 FZ1, '02 DRZ400S, '09 TE250
Naq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #10518
craigman
Lost in the woods

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Well I spoke with Cannon Racecraft and obtained the specs on the DRZ springs and they are very similar in OD to the Race Techs I already have in my possession.

Race Tech Springs OD 43.5mm vs Cannons at 43mm OD
Race Tech Springs Free Length are 508mm vs Cannons at 505mm

BOTH are shot peened finish which I am kinda bummed about as I was hoping to get smooth finish, but the peening finish gives the springs more longevity so I understand the need for that.

I also calculated the spring rates on the Race Tech Calculator for 2 weights. My current 255lb self and 225lbs as once I start riding again I will surely drop right down to that weight like I always do. Even at 225lbs I still need the 52kg springs according to Race Tech. So these race Tech 52kg springs may be what I shake down my setup with.

That fella at Cannon Racecraft is a nice guy and I will give him a shot on my next spring purchase for sure.

I quoted myself does that mean I am talking to myself?
Well, just because I feel bad you're talking to yourself.

Too bad you cant compare them side by side with the stock springs.
Comparatively,Is it really that bad? Are they assembled correctly?

Lots of people on here and Thumpertalk have run the Racetech springs. Search and ask if anyone has had issues with their forks and oil after this mod. I'm guessing no.

My Kicker has a great suspension. I weigh 220 and my bike rides great once I adjusted the sag and set it up.
I have never ridden the street legal version of this bike.

Good luck!

Sod Buster; "That job Sucks unless you have a monkey."
craigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #10519
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 868
I have the same Racetech springs you have, install them and ride. I did add the valves and think in probably two or three short rides I was in heaven. I cleaned the springs with contact cleaner before I installed and rode for a couple of months, changed the oil over the winter which was a complete waste of time. After you ride it a while swap out with a friend that has stock suspension.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #10520
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naq View Post
The end plate at the bottom of the fork is tapered to center the spring and the top floats on the preload washer(s). As long as both ends are flat there should be very little drag after its been cycled a few times. Did you assemble both forks? Do they sound the same? I didn't measure the the OD on the .48kg springs I'm using, but I'll have to check if they make any noticeable noise.
I ended up making 2 full passes on the wire wheel and netted much better results on the second leg. So I disassembled the first one and did it as well. Noticeably smoother and quieter.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #10521
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigman View Post
Well, just because I feel bad you're talking to yourself.

Thanks!

Too bad you cant compare them side by side with the stock springs.
Comparatively,Is it really that bad? Are they assembled correctly?

I did compare them directly to the stockers, Yes the Race Tech equipped leg was much louder than the stock spring equipped leg. I assembled everything properly.

Lots of people on here and Thumpertalk have run the Racetech springs. Search and ask if anyone has had issues with their forks and oil after this mod. I'm guessing no.

I did and a fella chimed in tstating he noticed the same thing from his Race Tech springs.

My Kicker has a great suspension. I weigh 220 and my bike rides great once I adjusted the sag and set it up.
I have never ridden the street legal version of this bike.

Good luck!
My guess after seeing how much junk came out of the oil from my low mileage forks and another visual inspection of the old fluid and the old stock springs is.... That the original springs also had a shot peened surface and all of the crud in the oil was the material that wore off the OEM springs.

So I am satisfied now and completed both legs, and am confident that they will break in and get better over a short time.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #10522
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
I have the same Racetech springs you have, install them and ride. I did add the valves and think in probably two or three short rides I was in heaven. I cleaned the springs with contact cleaner before I installed and rode for a couple of months, changed the oil over the winter which was a complete waste of time. After you ride it a while swap out with a friend that has stock suspension.
So do you have the 52kg springs also? How much do you weigh? Are you saying that they took a few rides to settle in?

Thank You for posting up on the subject, and keeping me from talkin to myself

Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #10523
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Assuming that there isn't much difference between an S and an SM I would recommend taking as many days to do it as you can. The stock seat is the biggest problem to deal with, try getting some sort of cushion at the least. The gas tank is pretty small, your butt will appreciate the pit stops.

If you really have plenty of time I'd ride the coast as much as possible and stop a lot. I-95 will zip you down there, but really wouldn't be much fun. I'd say Charleston, SC is a must see if you haven't been there before. Wilmington, NC too. Jeckle Island, GA is neat with it's old Mansions and history. Savana, GA. too. St. Augustine, FL neat old town (oldest in US, I think) All the Florida beaches.

The NC outer banks are a mess from Irene, I think.

So, if you want to take it slow and be a tourist there is a lot to see.

Btw, what speed can the SM comfortably crusie at? My S sounds like it wants to die at 75 mph, and the front end gets pretty light too. I'm running Dunlop 606 knobbies and stock gearing and know they aren't for the Interstates, and kill my fuel milage. I'm curious about swapping to more street oriented tires (and balancing them) and changing the sprockets a few notches towards "street".

I'm sure the SM is much better, but it's still a small unprotected bike and the wind will wear you out pretty quick on a 10 hour ride.
I figure I could break it up into 3-4 days down, and then 3-4 days back. I've been jonesing for a motorcycle trip lately, and kinda need an excuse. This might work, albeit it's maybe not the "perfect" bike to be doing it on.

I'll be working up some numbers tonight as far as cost of the trip, so that the owner can see if it's worth it or not.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #10524
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
So do you have the 52kg springs also? How much do you weigh? Are you saying that they took a few rides to settle in?

Thank You for posting up on the subject, and keeping me from talkin to myself

Yep, I'm 230 lbs. They never made a peep on the bike, if they did I didn't hear it. I changed the fork oil four months after I did the install and the oil was as clean as the day I bought it. I mainly changed the oil because of the gold valves. It's easy for me to say now, but your doing alot of worrying for nothing, after a couple of rides you'll look back at this and laugh.
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #10525
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
Yep, I'm 230 lbs. They never made a peep on the bike, if they did I didn't hear it. I changed the fork oil four months after I did the install and the oil was as clean as the day I bought it. I mainly changed the oil because of the gold valves. It's easy for me to say now, but your doing alot of worrying for nothing, after a couple of rides you'll look back at this and laugh.
Good deal... Thanks for the info. I am guilty of being a perfectionist.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #10526
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

So 310-380 miles a day on a DRZ-400SM. Completely do-able? For a week?

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #10527
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCSurveyor View Post
So 310-380 miles a day on a DRZ-400SM. Completely do-able? For a week?
Only your ass knows.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #10528
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
Only your ass knows.
I get that. But what I'm contemplating... is that something that's just maybe "challenging", or am I "fookin' nuts!"?

I've done long trips before when I had an SV. 530 miles to NY in a day, completely doable, and not completely dead-tired and worn out afterwords. Rode from VA to IN in a couple days for the inagural MotoGP back in 2008. ~330 miles a day for two days. Fun, IMO.

Obviously this bike is different, but I want to know if anyone else has done this kind of mileage on a deezer. Should I maybe push my mileage back to 250 a day? Or less?

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #10529
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 839
Output shaft oil seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Oil seal grenaded. Same thing happened to me. Easy fix. Don't run it until you get it fixed though.
is that a 30x40x6mm seal?? does it coming loose ruin the old seal, or could i just get away with a new nut?
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #10530
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCSurveyor View Post
I get that. But what I'm contemplating... is that something that's just maybe "challenging", or am I "fookin' nuts!"?

I've done long trips before when I had an SV. 530 miles to NY in a day, completely doable, and not completely dead-tired and worn out afterwords. Rode from VA to IN in a couple days for the inagural MotoGP back in 2008. ~330 miles a day for two days. Fun, IMO.

Obviously this bike is different, but I want to know if anyone else has done this kind of mileage on a deezer. Should I maybe push my mileage back to 250 a day? Or less?
i've done 300 mile days on my DRZs. never multiple such days in a row, though. but i was still having fun riding at the end, and i felt like i could have done another one the following day.

i'm planning to ride to boston in about a month...avoiding interstates, so about 800 miles each way. two days up, two days there, and two days back. it will be a total of 4 about 400 mile days in six days. i'm looking forward to it. i love to ride. we'll see how it goes, i guess.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote