Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #10531
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCSurveyor View Post
So 310-380 miles a day on a DRZ-400SM. Completely do-able? For a week?
It's certainly possible, but why? This is the sort of thing I would do if I had to, but if I had options, I'd change the trip or take something else.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #10532
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
So 310-380 miles a day on a DRZ-400SM. Completely do-able? For a week?
If you don't do it, you'll always wonder. And so will I. Be sure to do it on the OEM seat.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #10533
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
I get that. But what I'm contemplating... is that something that's just maybe "challenging", or am I "fookin' nuts!"?

I've done long trips before when I had an SV. 530 miles to NY in a day, completely doable, and not completely dead-tired and worn out afterwords. Rode from VA to IN in a couple days for the inagural MotoGP back in 2008. ~330 miles a day for two days. Fun, IMO.

Obviously this bike is different, but I want to know if anyone else has done this kind of mileage on a deezer. Should I maybe push my mileage back to 250 a day? Or less?
I've done a couple of 600km (372 mi) days on my drz my butt was certainly tired afterward, but definitely not impossible to do. So give it a shot; worst that happens is maybe you have to cut down a little part way through the trip. So maybe plan a little extra time.

Fictitious screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 09:51 PM Reason: typo
Fictitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #10534
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
If you don't do it, you'll always wonder. And so will I. Be sure to do it on the OEM seat.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #10535
Goblin10mm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hardware Woes

Hey all, I've got a problem I could use some help with.

I've had my 2003 DRZ400E for about four months now and have put at least 1,500 miles on it since (80% dirt) and though the bike is fabulous, the previous owner has caused me headache after headache with over torquing and replacing original hardware with found hardware with the wrong thread pitch. No worries though, he just torqued it down nice and good anyway... because that's how you get things to work!

The most recent problem is that my seat perches on the subframe have two totally different bolts in them (one is actually a screw), of different lengths, and different thread pitches. I have also removed the rear rack that he "coerced" onto the bike as well and now need all new hardware for the exhaust to subframe hardware and the two seat bolts. The factory dealership hasn't been much help locating hardware, which means I'm going to have to go and find hardware that will work.

Can anyone supply me with pictures of the stock seat bolts as well as the stock exhaust to subframe bolts as well? I have no idea what is suppose to be going in there and before I start searching for washers and hardware, I'd love to get a good look at the stock configuration. PM's work too.

Cheers!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #10536
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin10mm View Post
Can anyone supply me with pictures of the stock seat bolts as well as the stock exhaust to subframe bolts as well? I have no idea what is suppose to be going in there and before I start searching for washers and hardware, I'd love to get a good look at the stock configuration.
If you just want to see what the stock h-ware looks like I'd just go to one of the online fiche sites and look at the diagrams. This may not ID the exact size of the h-ware, but it will be as good as any pictures.

As I recall the stock seat securing bolts are common, everyday 6mm bolts, available at any h-ware store with metric h-ware.

- Mark
Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #10537
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
It's certainly possible, but why? This is the sort of thing I would do if I had to, but if I had options, I'd change the trip or take something else.

- Mark
It's doable, ive covered the bottom half of BC on mine this summer! stock seat??? mine came with an aftermarket gripper that is like a 2x4. I tried the stock seat for three days, and hated it! its too high down the middle, and it forces you to be in one position, I found. Here is what I do for longer trips!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #10538
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

- Mark
I have 2 friends. One lives here in Newport News, the other in Ft. Lauterdale. They each have DRZ400SM's, but want to trade off. They need someone to trade them off, since they're both working and don't have the time.

I'm unemployed. I have nothing to do right now, and have been jonesing for a long motorcycle "adventure" for a while. Even when I go on rides, I rarely travel outside of a 100mile circle. It kinda sucks. I just never had the time.

Now I do, and this seems like a good opportunity to see a little of the country, and help out a couple friends, as well as maybe make a buck or two.

That's why.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #10539
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
I have 2 friends. One lives here in Newport News, the other in Ft. Lauterdale. They each have DRZ400SM's, but want to trade off. They need someone to trade them off, since they're both working and don't have the time.

I'm unemployed. I have nothing to do right now, and have been jonesing for a long motorcycle "adventure" for a while. Even when I go on rides, I rarely travel outside of a 100mile circle. It kinda sucks. I just never had the time.

Now I do, and this seems like a good opportunity to see a little of the country, and help out a couple friends, as well as maybe make a buck or two.

That's why.
Why not???

If you don't do this trip (with or without a comfortable seat), when you're working again- and have no time- you'll always wonder what it would have been like.

Take the opportunity while you can. See some of the country. You might get a few aches, but the memories of the journey will outlast the sore ass.

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #10540
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
A trials bike would be worse,thats about the only real pep talk I can come up with.
Ive done as much as 220 miles a day on my DRZe,it was a dirt ride with a seat concepts seat though.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #10541
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin10mm View Post
Can anyone supply me with pictures of the stock seat bolts as well as the stock exhaust to subframe bolts as well? I have no idea what is suppose to be going in there and before I start searching for washers and hardware, I'd love to get a good look at the stock configuration. PM's work too.
Cheers!
I've had very good luck using SHS PowerSports for parts. Good pictures of the parts. I bought a used seat on Ebay to have a second seat to send to Renazco. It came without the black rubber inserts on the bottom and no seat bolts. I found them easily at www.shspowersports.com.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #10542
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:

That's why.
Pack a tent and take your time and the ride will be much more rewarding. Perfect opportunity!!!
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #10543
msgvb

Oddometer: 272
Kaoko Throttle Lock and Hand Guards?

Hey guys, any of you using a Kaoko Throttle Lock with Cycra hand guards, or any other hand guards for that matter?

I found this on Pashnit for Maier hand guards with Kaoko, but just wondering if anyone here had anything of the sort installed.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27866
Old 09-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #10544
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Pack a tent and take your time and the ride will be much more rewarding. Perfect opportunity!!!
I'd have to buy a tent, and I have little experience camping. For the price I'd have to pay to buy a tent, it would negate the savings.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #10545
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

That's why.
Thanks for explanation. I wasn't asking "why take a trip?", I was asking "why take a trip with this breakneck schedule?" I'd just try and do less miles and take more time.

- Mark