Thanks Mark!

Thanks oclv454!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #10547
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCSurveyor View Post
I'd have to buy a tent, and I have little experience camping. For the price I'd have to pay to buy a tent, it would negate the savings.
Well, I look at it this way: a motel is no less than $50 a night, so, if it is a $300 tent, camp 5 or 6 times in it, and its already paid itself off!!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #10548
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
I get that. But what I'm contemplating... is that something that's just maybe "challenging", or am I "fookin' nuts!"?

I've done long trips before when I had an SV. 530 miles to NY in a day, completely doable, and not completely dead-tired and worn out afterwords. Rode from VA to IN in a couple days for the inagural MotoGP back in 2008. ~330 miles a day for two days. Fun, IMO.

Obviously this bike is different, but I want to know if anyone else has done this kind of mileage on a deezer. Should I maybe push my mileage back to 250 a day? Or less?
On a stock seat, I vote "fookin' nuts". I'd personally try it on my SDG tall seat, and I'd think the Seat Concepts seat would make it child's play.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #10549
nucular
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
I have 2 friends. One lives here in Newport News, the other in Ft. Lauterdale. They each have DRZ400SM's, but want to trade off. They need someone to trade them off, since they're both working and don't have the time.

I'm unemployed. I have nothing to do right now, and have been jonesing for a long motorcycle "adventure" for a while. Even when I go on rides, I rarely travel outside of a 100mile circle. It kinda sucks. I just never had the time.

Now I do, and this seems like a good opportunity to see a little of the country, and help out a couple friends, as well as maybe make a buck or two.

That's why.
The SV is a goldwing compared to the dizzer. I have ridden the little SV on some pretty long trips and while I might have felt stiff afterward, it wasn't bad and it wasn't long lasting. The few 'partial day' trips I have taken on the DRZ have been pretty miserable in the rear-end department and the last one left me with tail bone pain for about a week. A new seat or some sort of pad is in order for sure.
nucular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #10550
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,847
Quote:
I have 2 friends. One lives here in Newport News, the other in Ft. Lauterdale. They each have DRZ400SM's, but want to trade off. They need someone to trade them off, since they're both working and don't have the time.

I'm unemployed. I have nothing to do right now, and have been jonesing for a long motorcycle "adventure" for a while. Even when I go on rides, I rarely travel outside of a 100mile circle. It kinda sucks. I just never had the time.

Now I do, and this seems like a good opportunity to see a little of the country, and help out a couple friends, as well as maybe make a buck or two.

That's why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucular View Post
The SV is a goldwing compared to the dizzer. I have ridden the little SV on some pretty long trips and while I might have felt stiff afterward, it wasn't bad and it wasn't long lasting. The few 'partial day' trips I have taken on the DRZ have been pretty miserable in the rear-end department and the last one left me with tail bone pain for about a week. A new seat or some sort of pad is in order for sure.
ATV seat cover..best cheap investment ever. And there is a Walmart everywhere.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-AT...ector/16777864

Even fits those Yami's

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #10551
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
While 4-500 mile days are doable even on a drz, ya miss the sights/adventures/attractions along the way. Plan well and stop and see those things that interest you along with whatever pops up along the way. I find averaging around 200 miles a day on a two-three week trip is way more enjoyable than than just rolling up miles. Some days I may do 800 miles and some I may do 15. It just depends what's around the corner. There are lots to see and do between Newport News and Ft. Lauterdale. I would do one way on the coast and one way in the mountains. Take your time and enjoy!
0ldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #10552
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic-Of-Canada View Post
Well, I look at it this way: a motel is no less than $50 a night, so, if it is a $300 tent, camp 5 or 6 times in it, and its already paid itself off!!
You can get a passable tent & bag for well under $300. Head to Walsmart or Big 5.

I just did 280 miles on the DRZ last Sunday. Painful, yes. ~100 of that was dirt. In July I did a 300 mile day with 100 miles of single track and less than 100 miles of pavement.

On other topics, I'm guessing the lack of responses to my inquiry for ways to improve DRZ low end power indicates there is no majic fix. Once wound up, the DRZ power is great, but my KTM 2-smoke makes better low end.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #10553
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
On other topics, I'm guessing the lack of responses to my inquiry for ways to improve DRZ low end power indicates there is no majic fix. Once wound up, the DRZ power is great, but my KTM 2-smoke makes better low end.
I have found that my JD jetted and stock DRZ has lots of low end grunt and I will clarify that with the fact I run 15/48 gearing, and sometimes 14/48. It feels like a tractor down and just pulls and pulls. I ride anywhere from 2500' to 4000' in any given time during my rides.

What gearing are you running and at what altitudes do you ride? Both of these factors can play a part in the bikes performance as you well know.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #10554
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
I have found that my JD jetted and stock DRZ has lots of low end grunt and I will clarify that with the fact I run 15/48 gearing, and sometimes 14/48. It feels like a tractor down and just pulls and pulls. I ride anywhere from 2500' to 4000' in any given time during my rides.
i agree.

3x3 mod with jd jetting plus 14/47 gearing equals tractor for me.

doesn't want to lift the front end in 4th gear with just a twist of the throttle, though, like my old 2-stroke husky 500 did...maybe that's what he is thinking of?
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #10555
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
You can get a passable tent & bag for well under $300. Head to Walsmart or Big 5.

I just did 280 miles on the DRZ last Sunday. Painful, yes. ~100 of that was dirt. In July I did a 300 mile day with 100 miles of single track and less than 100 miles of pavement.

I have an FCR39mx carb, Hotcams Stage 1 cams, 434 Hi Comp Top End with a SSW/MRD pipe and my DRZ will snap the front wheel in the air in the first four gears and easily loft the wheel on part throttle applications. It has plenty of torque still. I switched it back to 15/44 from 14/46 gearing because it was entirely to snappy in first gear with the lower gearing.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #10556
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:

What gearing are you running and at what altitudes do you ride? Both of these factors can play a part in the bikes performance as you well know.
I run either 14/48, or 15/48, depending on how much highway I will be doing. Riding elevations: 7k-13k'. The issue I have is when faced with a steep climb. I'm in first gear. Until the engine is up to 4-5k rpm, I have to fan the clutch a bunch. With the taller gearing, that means I had to be up to ~15mph to get enough power to do what I needed. 15mph in a loose boulder strewn switchback usually isn't possible.

I've opened up the top of the airbox & spent a year getting the jetting dialed in. I've had to reduce the accelerator pump to the bare minimum duration to keep it from flooding when I ride on technical trails where lots of throttle steering would feed in too much gas. Other than the anemic power on the very bottom, it's running great. Winds to the moon, doesn't pop, and gives me about 50mpg.

I think it's a fundamental cam timing issue. I would gladly sacrifice some power at 8-9k rpm for a boost in low end torque. I'm concerned that even with a cam change, it may not be possible to make the needed change to low end, given the short stroke nature of the beast.

Given the altitudes that I ride at, perhaps I should pursue a higher compression. What's the best way to do this? Shaving the head or cylinder will affect cam timing. Perhaps a piston change? I'm very hesitant to risk interference issues that could cause the engine to grenade at a bad time.

HellSickle screwed with this post 09-14-2011 at 03:32 PM
Old 09-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #10557
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Talking

Quote:
I run either 14/48, or 15/48, depending on how much highway I will be doing. Riding elevations: 7k-13k'. The issue I have is when faced with a steep climb. I'm in first gear. Until the engine is up to 4-5k rpm, I have to fan the clutch a bunch. With the taller gearing, that means I had to be up to ~15mph to get enough power to do what I needed. 15mph in a loose boulder strewn switchback usually isn't possible.

I've opened up the top of the airbox & spent a year getting the jetting dialed in. I've had to reduce the accelerator pump to the bare minimum duration to keep it from flooding when I ride on technical trails where lots of throttle steering would feed in too much gas. Other than the anemic power on the very bottom, it's running great. Winds to the moon, doesn't pop, and gives me about 50mpg.

I think it's a fundamental cam timing issue. I would gladly sacrifice some power at 8-9k rpm for a boost in low end torque. I'm concerned that even with a cam change, it may not be possible to make the needed change to low end, given the short stroke nature of the beast.
Well I see two big differences between us, I ride at much lower altitudes and I have the CV carb compared to where you ride and your pumper carb. I don't THINK that the differences should make that much of a deal but maybe it does. I do know that when I ride the mountains here where I can get to 8000'+ my bike does suffer from altitude sickness where it gets weak and low on power.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #10558
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Well I see two big differences between us, I ride at much lower altitudes and I have the CV carb compared to where you ride and your pumper carb. I don't THINK that the differences should make that much of a deal but maybe it does. I do know that when I ride the mountains here where I can get to 8000'+ my bike does suffer from altitude sickness where it gets weak and low on power.
I just learned that the stock compression ratio is 12.2. I don't think going higher is a good option. I think I will just have to go with lower gearing & live with the RPM limitations on the highway. I would like to see some comparison big bore dyno curves to understand if that's a good option.

Another possibility is to put in an autoclutch and tune it for higher RPM engagement. Even with that option, I think I would want the clutch override lever. In a perfect world, I would like to install an autoclutch with an option to switch between auto and manual mode at the flip of a lever.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #10559
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Talking

Quote:
I just learned that the stock compression ratio is 12.2. I don't think going higher is a good option. I think I will just have to go with lower gearing & live with the RPM limitations on the highway. I would like to see some comparison big bore dyno curves to understand if that's a good option.

Another possibility is to put in an autoclutch and tune it for higher RPM engagement. Even with that option, I think I would want the clutch override lever. In a perfect world, I would like to install an autoclutch with an option to switch between auto and manual mode at the flip of a lever.
I don't know what higher compression would do either. Lower gearing would get you what your looking for, that and a auto clutch. Check out the RevLock web site, IIRC that have any option for a manual override.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #10560
Zojirushi
Surly Sailor

Oddometer: 99
My DRZ has plenty of torque for the riding I do, but I am in the flats of the Gulf coast. I will say I miss the low end of my XR650. Maybe you just need a larger bike? Or a ktm. I think you have to make the choice bw starting to mod the DRZ or looking elsewhere. You should talk to Eddie on TT. He can get some real power out the these 400s.
Zojirushi is offline   Reply With Quote