Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #10741
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy123 View Post
As mentioned previously I use my DRZ400 for ADV riding and have done 80,000k (50,000miles) When I ship the bike with panniers of luggage the airport weight is usually about 150kg (330lbs). On a normal Aussie Outback trip I do 7 -12,000k in about 4 6 weeks, how your 50k lighter bike for this kind of long distance ADV in terms and reliability and comfort?

Regards Rob
I wasn't trying to compare the 300 to a DRZ. The question at hand is comparing the KTM530 to the DRZ. While the KTM would have much better low end and a wide ratio transmission, I believe it would also be lower reliability (partially due to hard riding by the PO).

Of the miles you've done on your DRZ, how many top ends have you done? Have you had to split the cases? Has the bike ever stranded you?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #10742
Westy123
Old Sod

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I wasn't trying to compare the 300 to a DRZ. The question at hand is comparing the KTM530 to the DRZ. While the KTM would have much better low end and a wide ratio transmission, I believe it would also be lower reliability (partially due to hard riding by the PO).

Of the miles you've done on your DRZ, how many top ends have you done? Have you had to split the cases? Has the bike ever stranded you?

I agree the KTM would have been a better transmission from a ratio point of view but I doubt the bike would have been as reliable.
I have had one major failure last year on the way back South from Cape York in Aussie last year the bike had a temporary seizure, it freed its self immediately but of course knackered the cylinder lining. I decided to ride it like that back to Cairns 600k and then ship it home to NZ where I rebuilt it. With running it after seizing it stuffed the engine and need crank, all bearings, cylinder, piston etc. The top was OK and still is after 80,000k. I still donít know why the engine seized as the oil level was OK, I was going to change the piston and rings after that ride as I had getting on for 50,000km on the clock but it was stuffed before I got home. When I striped the engine the plastic oil drive cog had teeth missing but I donít know if this was the cause or if the cog was stripped because of all the dirt in the oil after the seizure. I have since fitted an oil pressure light so I should know if I have an oil issues in the future..
This is how this project got started I picked up an engine in the UK out of a smashed DRZSM that had done 2,000k for 400 quid (600US). I rebuilt the original engine then had a spare (the spare was much cheaper than the spares to rebuild the original) so I started to look at the gearbox issue. Having a complete spare engine enabled me to work on the spare while still running the bike.
As we all know everything is a compromise I have tried many bikes and as I get older I defiantly need light weight but with the reliability to be able to continue to ride.
Thanks for your comments Rob
Westy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #10743
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,792
Quote:
I agree the KTM would have been a better transmission from a ratio point of view but I doubt the bike would have been as reliable.
I have had one major failure last year on the way back South from Cape York in Aussie last year the bike had a temporary seizure, it freed its self immediately but of course knackered the cylinder lining. I decided to ride it like that back to Cairns 600k and then ship it home to NZ where I rebuilt it. With running it after seizing it stuffed the engine and need crank, all bearings, cylinder, piston etc. The top was OK and still is after 80,000k. I still donít know why the engine seized as the oil level was OK, I was going to change the piston and rings after that ride as I had getting on for 50,000km on the clock but it was stuffed before I got home. When I striped the engine the plastic oil drive cog had teeth missing but I donít know if this was the cause or if the cog was stripped because of all the dirt in the oil after the seizure. I have since fitted an oil pressure light so I should know if I have an oil issues in the future..
This is how this project got started I picked up an engine in the UK out of a smashed DRZSM that had done 2,000k for 400 quid (600US). I rebuilt the original engine then had a spare (the spare was much cheaper than the spares to rebuild the original) so I started to look at the gearbox issue. Having a complete spare engine enabled me to work on the spare while still running the bike.
As we all know everything is a compromise I have tried many bikes and as I get older I defiantly need light weight but with the reliability to be able to continue to ride.
Thanks for your comments Rob
Thanks Rob, good info. I think the oil pump gear failures on the DR and DRZ are not uncommon.

If I end up with a lack of other projects and suplus time on my hands ( ), I might explore the transmission mod. I'll keep an eye out for a low miles spare motor to play with.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #10744
Westy123
Old Sod

Quote:
Thanks Rob, good info. I think the oil pump gear failures on the DR and DRZ are not uncommon.

If I end up with a lack of other projects and suplus time on my hands ( ), I might explore the transmission mod. I'll keep an eye out for a low miles spare motor to play with.

Sounds good let me know if you decide to go ahead. I see you live in Colorado, great riding round there, nearly as good as South Island New Zealand!!! Did Engineers Pass some years back on the way back from Alsaka, must get back and do some of the other 50 high Pass's!!!

Regards Rob
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #10745
Olexa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
What materials were used?

This rack make of 16mm steel pipe, pipe wall is 1,5mm
Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #10746
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:

+1 I think a Big Bore Stroker WR bottom end will be a Dual Sport DRZ Monster. All you would have to do is run Low Compression, mild carb, mild cams and it would be great!

Quote:
Sounds good let me know if you decide to go ahead. I see you live in Colorado, great riding round there, nearly as good as South Island New Zealand!!! Did Engineers Pass some years back on the way back from Alsaka, must get back and do some of the other 50 high Pass's!!!

Regards Rob
You are really covering some miles on that DRZ!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #10747
Olexa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I think it looks great. Very sturdy design. Cool how it can carry fuel/water jugs on the left side. Too bad the website isn't in English too. Wonder what the price is in US dollars?

I'm curious about the tire clearance of those cross-bars? Looks like they could be an issue?

Also, it seems like shipping costs might be high since the unit is so bulky?
Unfortunately I very bad speak and write english. May be translate with Google service this article: http://olexarider.ucoz.ua/news/bagaz...c/2011-02-16-5
This rack cost 175 USD. The tire clearance of those cross-bars is about 50mm. Now I don't know any details of shipping in USA. I will ready to reply in a 1-2 week
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #10748
Westy123
Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
+1 I think a Big Bore Stroker WR bottom end will be a Dual Sport DRZ Monster. All you would have to do is run Low Compression, mild carb, mild cams and it would be great!

You are really covering some miles on that DRZ!
No the trip was on a new DR650 in 2002/3. I started in Buenos Aires went South to Terra Del Fuego turned North and followed the Andes and Rockies to Fairbanks. I then returned to Los Angeles and shipped the bike to London. Then I continued across Europe into Turkey and Iran and finally Dubai where I lived at the time. When I rolled into my Drive I had just over 60,000km on the clock for one trip. I knew that one was going to be a fair mileage so I told the 650 which is not as good as the DRZ but longer lasting. I recon a DRZ400 is good for a trip of 30-40,000k then strip, check and rebuild as required.
Regards Rob
Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #10749
sect8dr
ride them all

Oddometer: 221
How Bad

I went for a little spin on my 04 drze this afternoon and when i got back i decided to check the oil just to see and i noticed a distinct odor of gas on the dipstick, Just wondering if anyone has found anything that causes this besides bad rings, The oil looks fine, is still full and the bike does not smoke one bit, just thought it was odd and the smell sent thoughts of a rebuild through my head pretty quick, anyone with more mechanical knowledge than myself chime in at will, thanks.
sect8dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #10750
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Possible needle valve? That's the needle of needle and seat. I just had a problem on my carb in our Crafstman riding mower. It was seriously dumping fuel everywhere. The crankcase had gas, the cylinder was loaded up, and it was dumping gas to the outside. Pulled the carb and found the tip of the needle valve (made of "viton"??) had broken off and was holding the needle off the seat and the poor mower couldn't stop the gas flow.
I imagin the DR has a vacuum controlled petcock? I think with those petcocks, you could have a needle and seat problem, but it might not show up till the vacuum controlled petcock developed a problem.

Just a thought.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #10751
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by sect8dr View Post
I went for a little spin on my 04 drze this afternoon and when i got back i decided to check the oil just to see and i noticed a distinct odor of gas on the dipstick, Just wondering if anyone has found anything that causes this besides bad rings, The oil looks fine, is still full and the bike does not smoke one bit, just thought it was odd and the smell sent thoughts of a rebuild through my head pretty quick, anyone with more mechanical knowledge than myself chime in at will, thanks.
Is the petcock in the "ON" position and not the "PRIME" position?

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #10752
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,305
I have a baja designs 8" halogen on my KLX. It works really good but makes the steering feel sluggish. I've been thinking about going back to a plastic headlight assembly again and ut with a hid setup. For now the 8" is perfect for the street tho.

Sorry, apparently I was replying to posts 10 pages back..lol.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk

DualSportDad screwed with this post 09-29-2011 at 07:39 PM
DualSportDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #10753
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,601
I guess I'll ask again........what's the weight diff between thr DRZ400 and the DR650?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #10754
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti1 View Post
I guess I'll ask again........what's the weight diff between thr DRZ400 and the DR650?
DRZ400S: 144 kg
DRZ400E: 119kg
DRZ400K: 112kg
DR650: 147 kg
MTT Y2k: 227 kg
Smart Car: 730 kg
The Average Banana: 120g

So as you can see, the clear choice is the banana!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:42 AM   #10755
sect8dr
ride them all

Oddometer: 221
nope

the bike has a clarke tank and a non vacuum petcock and it is always shut off, going to check the needle tonight when i get home, thanks for the input
sect8dr is offline   Reply With Quote