Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #11236
createAbang
Vagabundos del Moto

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KI6HNB View Post
I just installed some ROX 2" Anti-Vibration risers on my '09 S. Now I can stand up straight on the pegs and not have to lean forward for the bars. I don't know why I didn't get some of these a long time ago. Much more comfortable sitting or standing.

Now all I need is a small windshield.
It's something I've been meaning to do for a while. Any notable snags in the installation? Cables long enough, etc? Did you rotate the throttle assembly to get extra length? Any tips or suggestions or lessons learned?

Thanks,
Mike

createAbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #11237
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
An 05 DRZ SM with noise from the wrist pin bearing...does this require a professional to repair? How involved is the repair?

Thanks..
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #11238
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
An 05 DRZ SM with noise from the wrist pin bearing...does this require a professional to repair? How involved is the repair?

Thanks..
never heard wrist pin bearing noise before U sure thats it

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #11239
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Piston pin ???? I've heard them called wrist pins occasionally...

If so, then anyone who is half competent with a spanner can handle the job of replacing the piston and pin. If the rod needs replacement then that is more involved.
Any chance you are referring to this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gudgeon_pin

PS:
The origin of the word comes from old sailing ships and the pins that held the rudder in place, when engines were installed in older sailing ships the term was then transferred to the current usage :-)

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold

The Recycled Teenager screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 08:30 AM
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #11240
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

it's a bike i'm considering to buy as a fixer upper...2005 drz 400 sm. it has a jet kit and a manual cam chain tensioner. the rest is stock. it has about 14,000 miles and he thinks the noise is coming from the top end. otherwise, the bike is supposedly mint. he says the bike still runs, but with the noise now. he describes the noise as a bearing type of noise. the noise doesn't differ going from neutral to gear, but it gets louder as it revs. noise started about a month ago and he stopped riding when the noise started.

are there any specific questions i should ask to narrow down what the problem really is, so i can see if it's going to be a major repair issue. that'll determine the price i offer.

when i go to take a look for myself, what should i be looking and/or listening for? i'm not familiar with this bike so i need all the help i can get to diagnose the issue the best i can..

i'm not sure if he'll let me take it for a test spin...but if he does, anything in particular i should pay attention to?

if the engine issue is fairly serious, what do you think is a fair price considering the work, time and effort that will go into getting it back to good shape?

Thanks so much for your help!

eSONG screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 04:44 PM
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #11241
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Question

Quote:
it's a bike i'm considering to buy as a fixer upper...2005 drz 400 sm. it has about 14,000 miles and he thinks the noise is coming from the top end. otherwise, the bike is supposedly mint. he says the bike still runs, but there is that noise so he stopped riding it.

are there any specific questions i should ask to narrow down what the problem really is, so i can see if it's going to be a major repair issue. that'll determine the price i offer.

when i go to take a look for myself, what should i be looking and/or listening for? i'm not familiar with this bike so i need all the help i can get to diagnose the issue the best i can..

i'm not sure if he'll let me take it for a test spin...but if he does, anything in particular i should pay attention to?

if the engine issue is fairly serious, what do you think is a fair price considering the work, time and effort that will go into getting it back to good shape?

The one thing I can think of before I head home is, is it a clacking noise or a hard knock kind of noise? Have you heard it yourself?

If it is a clacking noise does the bike still have the automatic cam chain tensioner?? If yes it COULD be a loose cam chain. To check you will need to replace the automatic one with a manual one. Do you know anybody with a DRZ that has the manual one that you could "borrow"?

If it is a hard knock it very well could be the wrist pin or worst case the rod bearing. Then you might be talking big bucks.

Gotta run! Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #11242
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
The one thing I can think of before I head home is, is it a clacking noise or a hard knock kind of noise? Have you heard it yourself?

If it is a clacking noise does the bike still have the automatic cam chain tensioner?? If yes it COULD be a loose cam chain. To check you will need to replace the automatic one with a manual one. Do you know anybody with a DRZ that has the manual one that you could "borrow"?

If it is a hard knock it very well could be the wrist pin or worst case the rod bearing. Then you might be talking big bucks.

Gotta run! Hope this helps.
he has a manual cam chain tensioner.

i have not heard or seen the bike in person yet. he wants $1500 for it.

what should i listen for to determine if it's the worst case scenario like the rod bearing? the guy describes the noise as a bearing noise.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #11243
southy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
he has a manual cam chain tensioner.

i have not heard or seen the bike in person yet. he wants $1500 for it.

what should i listen for to determine if it's the worst case scenario like the rod bearing? the guy describes the noise as a bearing noise.
Even with the manual cam chain tensioner the noise could still be cam chain. The problem with the manual tensioner is people seem to set it and forget it. Cam chains slowly wear and stretch over time and the manual tensioner needs to be adjusted to compensate.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #11244
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
it's a bike i'm considering to buy as a fixer upper...2005 drz 400 sm. it has a jet kit and a manual cam chain tensioner. ......

Take some video of the bike running and post it on the thumpertalker DRZ forum, those guys are extremely helpful in diagnosing problems.

Personally, after my recent experience with a used DRZ400E, I'd pass unless the price was simply to good to pass up (less than $1400.00).

FWIW, I was quoted $1400 to rebuild my seized motor with a BB kit, that includes a valve job and a different crank and rod. That doesn't include shipping, both way, roughly $150.00 plus a shipping container.

Good luck.

M.

yosso screwed with this post 11-10-2011 at 06:37 AM Reason: Add some $ numbers...
yosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #11245
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,416
A DRZ400sm will one day be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine. I'm looking to buy one next summer to give my 03 sv650s a break during the summer months. How are these for distance rides?
nickgindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #11246
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetuss10 View Post
A DRZ400sm will one day be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine. I'm looking to buy one next summer to give my 03 sv650s a break during the summer months. How are these for distance rides?
Take a stroll through Ride Reports. Plenty enjoy them at length.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 AM   #11247
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
it's a bike i'm considering to buy as a fixer upper...2005 drz 400 sm. it has a jet kit and a manual cam chain tensioner. the rest is stock. it has about 14,000 miles and he thinks the noise is coming from the top end. otherwise, the bike is supposedly mint. he says the bike still runs, but with the noise now. he describes the noise as a bearing type of noise. the noise doesn't differ going from neutral to gear, but it gets louder as it revs. noise started about a month ago and he stopped riding when the noise started.

DRZs are not hard to find, you do not need to take any risk. If you can't get it for a price based on worst case scenario, then buy a different DRZ.
My 2c
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #11248
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,075
I need to lower the rider's foot pegs on my DRZ400s. It's just too cramped.

Who has a bracket or another way to do it?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #11249
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
I need to lower the rider's foot pegs on my DRZ400s. It's just too cramped.

Who has a bracket or another way to do it?

You need the Promotobillet Fastway pegs. They are lower profile, and come with the option of an upper or lower mounting position.

Off-hand, I didn't see them listed for a DRZ, but I'll let your keyboard do the walking.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #11250
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,989
My DRZ wouldn't start yesterday. Why?

Just kidding on the request for help. I'm sure I'll get it sorted out. It ran fine on the last ride 6 weeks ago. I've got to tear the carb bowl off to replace a weeping gasket, so I'll clean that out, and check for spark. It turned over like a champ, but didn't give the slightest indication of firing. Very unusual, as it always fires right up.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote