Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #14191
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric671 View Post
Looking for a set of hubs for my DRZ400S, front and back. Trying to complete a set of wheels so I can have a street and dirt set.

Thanks for the help.

Eric671
Here ya go.. about as cheap as finding hubs alone sometimes.
http://www.warp9racing.com/mx_wheels_suzuki.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Bones View Post
Looking for a 400E or K front end to do a swap on my KLR...let me know if you spot anything. I'm a KLR rider so its gotta be bargain bin.
Hey Bones... I got one here in PA. Ooooh wait a minute, it's already bolted to the front of MY KLR.... HaHaaHaaaa
Just bust'n on ya! Good to see ya searching out this option... you'll like it.
Lots on ebay right now but none cheap or with trees but these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DRZ40...item2a1d008694

Seeya,
Jim
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #14192
TanKPiloT
Cautious Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Oil questions

Whats up im new to the on road off road dirt bike world i have been racking up alot of silly questions over the past couple months about this stuff. And it looks like the adventurers on this site and thread shoot it pretty strait in a respectful manor. So here goes the first of many questions Im gonna be posting on here..
And I know there is probably a thread with all the info i need to get a good start. Into this deceivingly expensive hobby.
But I'm just gonna throw out a little info about my situation.

I have been into off roading of all kinds since i was very little. I grew up without alot of privilege because my parents never had much money. (I was taken care of Not trying to get anyone to feel sorry for me) So besides my tecumseh powered mini bike. That my Dad and his friends built at the small engine shop he worked at out of spare parts. I road the crap out of it age 5 -13. Trying to do wheelies jump board ramps in the backyard you name it I attempted it on that little scooter. Still upset at old man for selling it for 30 dollars while i was oversees. My girls could be riding it today. I have always wanted a duel sport motorcycle. Ever since i saw Jean Claude Van dam in Hard Target in 1993. Eliminate all those bad guys from that town on a Duel Sport.

My father was not keen on me getting a motorcycle when I was 18 when one was offered to me for a good deal. By one of his friends. He said "son you gotta lot of growing up to do before you get two wheels under ya" I was upset about that for some years after that. Got out of the military 2005 had a few opportunities to get a bike. But the cards just never fell into place for me. I abandoned my dreams of a street legal dirt bike and just buckled down and focused on providing for my growing family.
It was in 2008 when Indiana Bones "one of my best friends since forever" got his KLR 650. It rekindled my dream of someday owning a duel sport. But the timing still was not right. Growing Family uncertainty of employment. I continued to work hard and hang on to my dreams. It was not until Feb. 2012 that i got dealt a good hand. Finances finally came together my Dad finally excepted the fact that i was gonna be on two wheels whether he wanted me to or not.Seems Kinda weird i waited on my dads blessing to get a bike till i was 29. But i know he was right i after all these years 18 yr old me on a Motorcycle would have been bad news.

Got me a 2003DRZ400e and i love it.

I Have noticed alot of D.S. riders on here using Rotella 15-40 in there bikes. The Rotella part I get good shell brand oil can get it anywhere rural king auto parts store. But why does everyone run such heavy oil. The Clymer manual I have says 10-40 in the drz as recommended but then its list like 10 others as can be used in extreme weather conditions but gives no indication as what oil should be run in which conditions.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #14193
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,677
...and make sure its motorcycle oil .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #14194
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,804
I haven't seen Rotella in 10w40. Guess that's why we all use the 15w40.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #14195
D1EHARD
Got the Fever

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Bones View Post
Looking for a 400E or K front end to do a swap on my KLR...let me know if you spot anything. I'm a KLR rider so its gotta be bargain bin.
Hi Bones, I've got just what ya need. Actually I have two sets, but one complete with triples and stuff. Both from DRZ400E's. I sent ya a PM.

D1EHARD screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 11:18 AM
D1EHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #14196
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Rotella T and T3 - 15W40 - Dino?
Rotella T5 - 10W40 - Synthetic blend
Rotella T6 - 5W40 - Full synthetic

They are all diesel engine oils.
And they all work great in motorcycles with wet clutches.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #14197
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,110
Baja Designs Single Headlight ????

Im considering replacing the stock headlight with the Baja Designs single round headlight.

As seen here:

Im wondering what happens to the small gaggle of wires hiding behind the fairing once its gone? I cant find any good pics showing the headlight up close.

Anyone have this setup? If so, where (if you did) did you conceal the wiring?

thanks
-Brian

The Toad screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 06:41 PM
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #14198
Indiana Bones
Ride or Die

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Im wondering what happens to the small gaggle of wires hiding behind the fairing once its gone? I cant find any good pics showing the headlight up close.

thanks
-Brian
I would suggest making a neat cluster, heat shrinking, and then wire loom or using some type of enclosure. Looks like they would fit nicely by the upper rear portion of the light mount. No tape and lots of zip-ties.

Bones

Indiana Bones screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 12:02 AM
Indiana Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #14199
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Im considering replacing the stock headlight with the Baja Designs single round headlight.

As seen here:

thanks
-Brian
This gaggle?? Ditch all of the extra junk from the harness and lose that rediculous harness in favor of a much more user friendly version. Relocated my ignition switch into my Baja Designs Headlight, ditched all of the extra sensors and wiring, and converted the OEM kill switch into the manual fan control switch.

Finished result here.

bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #14200
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,171

bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #14201
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,804
Bobbed06,

I'm getting ready to buy a Vapor and install a key swich on my WR450. I like the way you did it. That looks like a good spot to mount the keyhole, otherwise I'd have to make a panel. I'll probably place a 12V outlet on the opposite side of the light housing, seems like that could be handy.

Did the keyswitch come with your kit, or did you buy it seperately? I need to order one.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #14202
Pitscar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Well I just bought a DRZ400S, and found a supermoto set of wheels as well. They were custom made, with custom spacers. The spacers look like they will line up. The guy I bought the wheels off said he can't find the rear disc, but I am beginning to think he never had one. The supermoto wheels are RMZ450 hubs, which is 4 bolt, which means a 240mm disc, which means I need a new caliper carrier. So after some research I ordered a caliper carrier off ebay from a 2001 RM125 as it is exactly the same as a DRZ400 carrier, except offset an extra 20mm for the 240mm rear disc vs 220mm DRZ disc. Phew! Lotsa work. Go to bolt the whole thing together and I don't have bolts for the disc. After much haranging with department store bolts, I ended up biting the bullet and buying rear disc bolts from the dealer. $27 for four bolts! Akk! They arrive tomorrow, and then I get to see if this 2000 DRZ400S with rear 2007 RMZ450 hub and 2001 RM125 caliper carrier ends up working Hopefully it does. If not, well, I'll just keep loving the dual sport and continue searching for a 4 bolt 220mm disc that fits an RMZ450 hub.
Pitscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #14203
JohninVT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:

As seen here:

thanks
-Brian

I have the BD light on my 2011. You will lose low beam. That might not seem like a big deal except the DRZ doesn't have a very robust charging system. I turn my light off in town because I'm not sure what sort of output the alternator has at low rpms. That got me pulled over this morning by an uptight, prick of a cop in Charlestown, NH.

As for the bundle of wires, I took a 8 inch section of inner tube and split it length-wise. I wrapped it around the wires and then used a ziptie at each end to waterproof the bundle. It rests on the back of the light frame.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #14204
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,482
There's Finally An Adventure Rack for the E Models

I can now post this without guilt. I'm not a vendor, nor do I have any commercial interest in these racks. Tom is an honest craftsman who's trying to feed his family. Like many of us in this economy, he's trying to keep his business afloat in hard times. His work is very sweet. His attention and customer service are unmatched. I am fortunate to know him.

Because I was willing to lend inmate Jackpiner57 my 400E for a couple of weeks, I now own the first of the TATracks for the E model. So far as I know, this is the only complete adventure luggage system for the E model with top and side racks.

The rest of this is picture heavy. Put your server on danger money.

First, the bare system. It's set up for a Rotopax mount on the top plate. The Rotopax mount bolts right on.

The TAT system from the left. You'll want that extra gallon even on short rides with the stock tank:

The center of gravity on these is ahead of the axle, and they are comfortable to ride.

The rear:

The TAT top plate is designed for the new 1.75 gallon Rotopax. Mine just came in yesterday. Typically great Rotopax quality in the new economy size:

The left:

The Rear:

The right:

Now all decked out in full regalia. I had the Wolfman expedition dry panniers and the Seattle Sports kayak deck bag. Both pieces are completely waterproof if treated properly. The Rotopax 1.75 is a perfect fit for the deck bag:

I have no idea what this system will cost, although I think it will be very competitive. Although the system is about as rigid as the DRZ's subframe, Tom and I also discussed an optional rear loop for severe service. Stay tuned.

Bt the way, that's not my plate.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 09:42 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #14205
BRUNO BOTELHO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
My backyard

www.motoazores.com
BRUNO BOTELHO is offline   Reply With Quote