Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #14926
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by generatordave View Post

btw...I went with MT24 trials tires and will report at a later date...........reviews were overwhelming.

My new question is tire pressure.

Do guys change pressure when planning a day of off road knarly trails and then up the pressure for the street ride back to home base?

off rd = less pressure more traction
on rd= less pressure accident waiting to happen because of side wall roll and flex?

Let the pros advise and all others opinionate LOL

Thanks, Dave
I meet the definition of a professional dual sport rider.

I will run 25-30 psi for extended pavement to get to the trailhead. Once there, I air down to 14 psi. I usually don't air up for the ride home, but if there is a lot of high speed highway, I will stop in a gas station, or I will carry a 12V pump with me to air up. You can get the Slime pump at most auto parts stores.

It weighs a couple of pounds and comes in a nice little carring case. I've wired all of my bikes to use the 2-wire SAE plug as a power outlet. It beats the heck out of a hand pump.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #14927
Bullwinkle58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Last week I posted questions about tires of choice and got a ton of helpful info

btw...I went with MT24 trials tires and will report at a later date...........reviews were overwhelming.

Do guys change pressure when planning a day of off road knarly trails and then up the pressure for the street ride back to home base?

on rd= less pressure accident waiting to happen because of side wall roll and flex?

more input
more input

Thanks, Dave
Non-pro opinionating: I set the front & rear at 20, and dont air down unless I cant make it up something.
Bullwinkle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #14928
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I have had hand pumps break on me. At the minimum, I'll carry a hand pump and CO2 cylinders.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #14929
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:

i air my rear down to 8 to 12psi and front down to 12 to 15psi for dirt riding depending on the nature of the trail (basically, if there are a lot of rocks, i go with the higher end of the range. if there aren't, and it's really slippery, i'll go with the lower end of the range. if i don't know what to expect, i'll go in the middle.)

(sometimes i forget to air down...but i realize it about 1 minute into the trails. it really does make a huge difference.)

i'll leave the pressures like that for riding roads to link trails. i will sometimes leave the pressures like that to ride home at the end of the day if i'm withing 10 miles or so of home.

if i have farther to go, i will air back up (to around 25psi both front and back) first. a bunch of the guys i ride with do not have plates and trailer to rides. i can generally borrow an air compressor from one of them. if everyone is dual sporting it, though, we will stop at a gas station to air back up if there is one within a few miles of getting back on the road. if not, i carry a planet bike mini versair MTB pump and use that (which i also use to fix trailside flats).

i have ridden pretty far on twisty roads at pretty good speeds with 10 psi in the back and 12 in the front. it does not equal death. the bike does feel squirmy, though, and i would rather air back up. but i don't bother if we are linking trails.

(also, i have rim locks...i like two per wheel as they balance each other. i would not run such low pressures without rim locks.)

i prefer to carry a bicycle pump (particularly the mini versair...as it is a dual stage, high volume pump that fills the tire rather quickly and is easy to use and it's cheap--and i've used it many times and it has never let me down) as opposed to an air compressor (too big and weighs too much) or CO2 cartridges (if you run out of cartridges--it can take a couple to fill a single tire, and you might have more than one flat--you are screwed)...though having both CO2 cartridges and a pump would be a good backup.

here is a link to the mini versair:

http://www.rei.com/product/800084/pl...al-action-pump
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #14930
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,223
btw, better traction is not the only reason to air down offroad.

another reason...often a more important one if the trails have decent traction...is so that your tires don't bounce off of rocks, roots, logs, etc like basketballs.

if you have too much air in your tires, especially the front tire, your bike will bounce off of obstacles instead of absorbing and rolling over them. that may or may not cause you to crash at some point, but it will definitely make the ride much harsher and make you a lot more tired over the course of a day as you are then wrestling with the bike a lot more.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #14931
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,872
I need to try lower pressures sometime, but I need to carry a pump along in case I don't like it & want to add air.

On most of the riding I do I don't feel the need for better control, but a few times I have gone down into rock revenes (sort of like dry waterfalls that go down a mountain for 1/2 mile or more (feels like forever, at the time) and there's no way I can image anybody being able to ride UP it. Perhaps I can regear super-low and lower the air pressure too. As I'm being "beat to death" on the way down it sure seems "impossible". I'm sure airring down will help reduce the "beat to death" a lot. I need to remember it.....

I really enjoy the technical areas that test my abilities to the limit, but it's always a little scary when I don't know if there's another route out....and I'm "more often than not" riding alone. (I am in the East, so I'm never too far to hike out, assuming I'm uninjured...)

Btw, any of you guys near me? (west of Boone, NC/TN line) I could use a fearless riding buddy.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #14932
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recycled Teenager View Post
Just read up a bit and it looks like the area is a sensitive one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_Hills

Are there regulations on the trails in the area

I must say I enjoyed the ride through on my way to Utah this spring (bike on trailer, darn I should have stopped and got it off for a ride)
Relatively close (for me) - I need to check it out this fall.

M.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #14933
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
3X3 alt

Just thought I would drop a note on alt to the standard 3X3.
I was always a bit scared of doing a 3X3 on my air box as I like the challenge of deep water crossings and din't want any let protection then the stock snorkle for such.

I have added the FCR 39 and without the 3X3 did not see a lot of improvement. So started looking aroumd for larger snorkle alternatives. When I had replaced the snorkle on one of the 990s with a prefilter so I had donor material.

Figure hole cut for this 2 plus inches by almost 4 to fit the seal area of the ktm snorkle then cut the top down to fit under the seat and not restrict flow. Had to recut after first time as air flow was still restricted a bit.

Better response out of the FCR 39, still not what most with a 3X3 talk about but I still have stock exhaust and as much deep water crossing protection or better then stock.

If you now folks with 990s you may ba able to get some old snorkles fairly cheap as then up grade filter systems and or go to prefilters. Figure it only gives you about 8 square inches versus 9 but better then stock.
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #14934
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Last week I posted questions about tires of choice and got a ton of helpful info

more input
more input

Thanks, Dave

Do you mean MT 43s? I haven't heard of MT 24s before.

I run 18-20 psi in my tires around town and typically 12-14 psi off road (mostly rocky terrain around here and pinch flats are common). When dual sporting I don't stop to adjust pressures. I set them to 14 psi before I head out and raise them back to 18-20 psi if I remember when I get home.

On the trail I carry a spare tube with a handful of CO2 cylinders; no pump or compressor. Knock on wood but I haven't needed them yet.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #14935
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Thumb Recommend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
+1 - mine does not have the digital readout
I have had a good 2 years so far out of my Topeak hand pump, lots of coastal sand riding, it gets a good workout and works very well.
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #14936
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
2000 DRZ Clark Tank?

This tank does not fit my 2000 DRZ 400 s. They said it fit a 2001 dirt electric start model. Anyone verify this? There are two bolts at the rear of my tank. I sure can't use it. Feel free to PM me with details. Thank you.
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #14937
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,811
I got my air compressor from Wal-Mart for over 3 years now and it still working fine. I carry all kind of accessories, when it come to tire repairs. Front/rear tube good tire gauge, 3 tire irons, small can of WD40 oil in case the tire is hard to work with, 4'*4' piece of bed sheet (or the like) so u don't have to replace ur inner tube on dirt. xtra air valves, & an extra patch tire repair. I hate using tire slim.
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #14938
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz View Post

This tank does not fit my 2000 DRZ 400 s. They said it fit a 2001 dirt electric start model. Anyone verify this? There are two bolts at the rear of my tank. I sure can't use it. Feel free to PM me with details. Thank you.

E model tanks mount differently than S model tanks but can easily be modified to fit S/SM frames. Basically what you need to do is make a bracket that changes the rear tank mount from the rubber band type to a bolt on type. Thumpertalk has posts with pictures showing how to do it.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #14939
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,630
Breaking the grip of mother earth
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #14940
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
raptor petcock bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Did you buy a new one or a used one?
I got a new one shipped for $28.40 from m.j.zee on ebay. He had over 19000 sales with 100% happy. I was notified this morning that it had shipped.

Showed up a day early. Amazing.

Xylx screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 08:29 PM Reason: new info
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote