Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #1486
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I told you so

The intake is really loud without the cover. Much louder than exhaust when getting on the throttle.

Jesse's mod to the muffler makes it barely louder at all, I still like that one.

--
Mikko
I did the original Jesse mod to the airbox cover...a two inch hole cut in the lid, and that's not too bad. But with the whole cover off, the noise is out of hand.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #1487
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I did the original Jesse mod to the airbox cover...a two inch hole cut in the lid, and that's not too bad. But with the whole cover off, the noise is out of hand.
What do you think would happen if you replaced the cover with a piece of foam? Something thin enough to flow free, but enough to kill a bit of the noise, maybe 1/4" or so. That would also help keep the filter clean.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #1488
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
What do you think would happen if you replaced the cover with a piece of foam? Something thin enough to flow free, but enough to kill a bit of the noise, maybe 1/4" or so. That would also help keep the filter clean.
Maybe that would work, but I didn't sense much improvement in power with the new jets, so I'm not motivated to try. Keeping in mind that the jets I had in it were Jesse's original upgrade, not the stock setup.

windigo
Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #1489
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Maybe that would work, but I didn't sense much improvement in power with the new jets, so I'm not motivated to try. Keeping in mind that the jets I had in it were Jesse's original upgrade, not the stock setup.
Also has a lot to do with your air density in your location. What's the altitude up there in MN? It was probably a little too fat.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #1490
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
From the other night.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #1491
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
Also has a lot to do with your air density in your location. What's the altitude up there in MN? It was probably a little too fat.
About a thousand feet. I could tell it was running a bit rich. It would be pretty bad at altitude.

windigo

Klay screwed with this post 05-16-2009 at 12:17 PM
Old 05-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #1492
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Lacking1, call on line 1

Hey Lacking! It's already several hours into a weekend and still no report about how the new cam works

Did you get the cam already, installed? How does she run?

We are all waiting (and not so patiently).... Take care man.

--
Mikko
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #1493
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
I never measure the oil going in, I just fill it to the full mark. Run the bike for a few minutes to fill the filter (which I always change) and then just top up as needed to get to some where between the full and add lines.

Just check it with the sight glass, you can get a pretty good idea of how over full it may be by watching the sight glass as you stand the bike to vertical. If it's even showing in the glass while on the side stand then you're over full and I'd drain some, but just rock the bike back and forth from leaned to vertical and go from there. Too much oil will probably get dumped into your air box so check that if it was over full.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to just drain it all, it's only $5 worth of oil...

I was actually browsing dual sports on craigslist today when to my surprise, I saw that Airvent has listed his DR200 ;) lol
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #1494
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to just drain it all, it's only $5 worth of oil...

I was actually browsing dual sports on craigslist today when to my surprise, I saw that Airvent has listed his DR200 ;) lol
No need to buy a new bike, just drain the oil man!

Back in my foolish younger days when I worked on the rigs and had more money than brains, I used to buy new trucks fairly frequently and my friends would always give me a hard time whenever I showed up in a new truck. My favorite line was "It's needs new wiper blades, gotta get rid of it before I pore all that money into it."
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #1495
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
skid plate

Since it's impossible to find a bash plate for the DR200, I made a cardboard template, went to a local shop and had one made. Here's the result. skid plate
Maybe you can't see it, but the bottom frame rails are not parallel but taper toward the front. The plate follows this taper.
It looks like it will stop anything kicked up by the front tire, but an ear could be added to protect the right case from a direct fall on a rock. I made a cardboard flap to have such an extension welded on, looking much like a conventional KLR or DRZ plate, but decided it unnecessary.
skid plate right
skid plate left
The holes in the rear, upright tabs are for the frame rail bolts to pass through. The oil drain plug hole is there too. You can make up your own little L brackets and use any of a number of bolts to anchor the front. If you're interested, call R & G Fabrication in Central Pennsylvania, George Sanky 814-339-7661. I left the template there. Cost should be around $55 plus shipping.
Unfortunately I'm in the middle of buying one house, selling another and moving, so I may be off-the-air for some time.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #1496
Klay
dreaming adventurer

BeemerBoy is off on a new adventure on his 200 across China:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463179

windigo
Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #1497
Lacking1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Wow, sounds like it's running great!

I hope you can put up pictures. You have to use a photo hosting site like smugmug.com or photobucket.com. Smugmug supports advrider but photobucket is free.
Thank Klay!
OK, here's some pics! As follows:
The aftermarket exhaust that came on the bike. It sounds like mine must roar, compared to most of the others, no wonder I was just about deaf after my trip, lol!
The spacers that I put in place to raise my windshield, for more protection.
A few pics of the bike on the trip at the rest stop and in front of the Marina.

Lacking1 screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 12:19 AM
Lacking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #1498
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Man! It's in beautiful shape!

windigo
Old 05-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #1499
Lacking1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
Sounds like a blocked pilot/low speed jet. Not terribly unusual, especially if the bike was sitting idle for some time, and then you start using it. Particularly bad if you are using fuel with ethanol.
Thanks for the tip!
Ok, I took the carb apart and cleaned it out real good. There was all kinds of purplish sediment in it!
Put it all back together, and was still hard to start. Once it was started, ran rough still. Took it apart again, changed the pilot jet, but it was too big, so put the old one back in. Still ran rough. During all this, I changed the plug out too. I finally started spraying carb cleaner around the boots of the carb, nothing from the airbox, but as soon as she got a whiff of the cleaner on the intake going into the head, she revved up. Took the carb off again, pulled the intake, and there was no O-ring between it and the head. It looked like the previous owner used some kind of gasket sealer/dressing to create a seal. So, I cleaned it up, and ordered a new O-ring. Looks like my little excursion burnt out the temporary seal, but all the heat during the trip kept everything nice and tight, until I parked it when I got home, and then tried starting it two days later…
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #1500
Lacking1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Hey Lacking! It's already several hours into a weekend and still no report about how the new cam works

Did you get the cam already, installed? How does she run?

We are all waiting (and not so patiently).... Take care man.

--
Mikko
Got the cam on Friday! But, I'm still waiting on the new intake 0-ring to come in. (It was ordered Friday too.) I'm going to install the new O-ring, and see how she runs before I put the cam in it. If everything is good, I'll drop the cam in next! I will keep y'all posted!