Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 04:46 AM   #1546
rocku
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK

Unfortionately, I made a stupid mistake as I was putting everything back together. When I installed the Yamaha Raptor Petcock on the gas tank a few months ago, I bent back the lip on the bottom of the tank to permit the free movement of the valve. Since then I've wanted to try and trim it off. So today, I bend it back and forth a few times and it pops off, great, everything is good. Wrong. I had no idea this was a seam for the gas tank. Now the tank is gushing gas from the seam if I try to fill it. I drained the tank and hung it upside down so that the gas will evaporate from the tank so I can take it to a welder tomorrow morning. Tomorrow I gotta hit the yellow pages trying to find a local place that will take care of it. Ugh. :( I'm an idiot. As much as I like the Yamaha Petcock, I don't think it was worth all this trouble. What I SHOULD have done was just carefully grind down a small bit of the lip.

Any suggestions on what sort of places would fix this for me? All I need is someone to weld this small seam back together. I'm guessing it's like a 5 minute job or less....

Curse my stupidity . ;) At least I fixed my electrical problem. Yay for persistance. :)

- ReT

Not to add insult to injury , just for another option for others out there. I use a petcock for a DRZ400 Ronayers part# 44300-29F10.
Bolts right in with no clearence problems with the valve turning, it does however have a longer main shaft which leaves you with a few options:
1. Leave it alone, and you will have to switch to reserve faster.
2. Run on reserve all the time and keep track of your miles.
3. This is not as bad as it sounds, removed the screen(pops off), use a Dremel to cut it shorter( also band saw, hack saw will work). Be sure to blow it out with some air after you cut it. Put the screen back on. Then install.
Now you will notice that the part where your hose goes on is larger diameter, don't panic, the fuel hose will fit over it with a little work. And don't forget to cap the other hose off, no longer used. Before you install on to the carb( if you choose option#3 ) run some gas through the hose into a can or something to make sure no metal flakes left in the line. Then you should be good to go.
And the most important, don't forget to turn the valve to off when your not riding for awhile, hence the whole point of changing the petcock
I can take a pic for anyone that wants to see what it looks like on the bike.

Mike

rocku screwed with this post 05-31-2009 at 05:16 AM
rocku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #1547
rocketkidd777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
My DR200 has a worn chain and a badly worn rear sprocket. I'm thinking of replacing both sprockets and chain. Everything is original stock. I would like to get a smaller rear sprocket to lower the rpm's at low highway speeds.

I have checked out most of the sites listed on the dr200 forum, but was a bit overwhelmed with the number of products. Would someone suggest a good (inexpensive ) replacement for both sprockets and drive chain?

Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #1548
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 198
Took DR 200 on Timed Reliability Run

Saturday I entered my 06' DR 200 in a raliability run during the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club meet. The event was held at Cables Campground near Toronto, Ohio. The event consisted of a timed run of 55 miles through the woods, mountains and streams averaging 24 mph. It rained the night before and caused many of the routes to become muddy and deeply rutted. Our group of three went off near last and I had just installed GP-1 80/20 street-dirt tires which weren't good at all for any mud. The bike held up well and made all the water crossings and every muddy hill execpt two. Once my tires filled with muck it was like a racing slick. My friends Yamaha TW 200 with those fat tires and low gears missed only one steep muddy hill . We did 65 miles but finished outside the time limit so it was a DNF for three of us but we all had tons of fun and had huge amounts of mud on us that once it dried you had to hammer it off! Everyone was surprised at how well the 200 held up and ran. They are having another one this fall and I'm switching my gears and knobbies and I'll do just fine. Had pictures but dropped camera in watery muck which ended it's life.... Wardie

wardie screwed with this post 05-31-2009 at 05:25 PM
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 PM   #1549
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 198
Gearing for street on DR 200

I ran my 200 around Lake Erie last year in a Cannonball Run. In order to make it around in a reasonable amount of time I re-geared from 15-45 to a 15-40 for speed. My bike can hit 71 mph (GPS verified) on starightaways but like everything else what you get on one hand you lose on the other. When you hit any grades if you haven't made a run for it you'll end up downshifting because you don't have enough of a motor to pull the gear.

Hope this helps. Wardie
Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #1550
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
JB Weld should do the job. You might try Ace Hardware for the Marine Tex, the local ones here have it. It works really well for that type of repair, as well as a lot of other stuff.

BTW, congrats on finding the electrical bugaboo. They can be tough.
Sorry for the late response - I went to my local ace hardware and they had MarineTex. It worked great! No leaking anymore. I threw on a big glob of the stuff so I will probably end up sanding it down a little to make my fix a little less unsightly. ;) Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie
Saturday I entered my 06' DR 200 in a raliability run during the Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club meet. The event was held at Cables Campground near Toronto, Ohio. The event consisted of a timed run of 55 miles through the woods, mountains and streams averaging 24 mph. It rained the night before and caused many of the routes to become muddy and deeply rutted. Our group of three went off near last and I had just installed GP-1 80/20 street-dirt tires which weren't good at all for any mud. The bike held up well and made all the water crossings and every muddy hill execpt two. Once my tires filled with muck it was like a racing slick. My friends Yamaha TW 200 with those fat tires and low gears missed only one steep muddy hill . We did 65 miles but finished outside the time limit so it was a DNF for three of us but we all had tons of fun and had huge amounts of mud on us that once it dried you had to hammer it off! Everyone was surprised at how well the 200 held up and ran. They are having another one this fall and I'm switching my gears and knobbies and I'll do just fine. Had pictures but dropped camera in watery muck which ended it's life.... Wardie
I just got the same tires a few weeks ago(IRC GP-1 80/20 Dual Sport "Trials") and I haven't played in a lot of mud but they hold their own in some pretty tough off-road conditions. I was surprised at how aggressive the tread is, considering these are an 80/20 tire.
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #1551
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

I got my spare muffler back from Kientech. WOW. Jesse did an AMAZING job. What was an old rusty muffler now looks brand new after the sandblasting and new paint. Truly fantastic.

Since I got the Kientech jet kit a few weeks ago, I've been putting off installing it due to my total lack of carb experience. Then, just the other day, I had a revelation. I had forgotten about the extra carb that the previous owner threw in with my DR200! I just dug it out of a box and I'm going to see if I can send it to Kientech. This way I can continue riding while the jets are being installed. :)

I also got some new high quality sprockets and an X-Ring chain that I have not installed yet. I'm in no rush, I've just been keeping an eye on my chain for a while as it is becoming progressively more worn...
Old 06-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #1552
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
I got my spare muffler back from Kientech. WOW. Jesse did an AMAZING job. What was an old rusty muffler now looks brand new after the sandblasting and new paint. Truly fantastic.

Since I got the Kientech jet kit a few weeks ago, I've been putting off installing it due to my total lack of carb experience. Then, just the other day, I had a revelation. I had forgotten about the extra carb that the previous owner threw in with my DR200! I just dug it out of a box and I'm going to see if I can send it to Kientech. This way I can continue riding while the jets are being installed. :)

I also got some new high quality sprockets and an X-Ring chain that I have not installed yet. I'm in no rush, I've just been keeping an eye on my chain for a while as it is becoming progressively more worn...
+1 on Kientech's work.

Jesse worked on the muffler and carb and the little DR seems like a different bike. Most of the time I "steal" it from the wife instead of using my KLR
Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #1553
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,312
Quote:

It really is really, really easy to put those jets in there yourself. I could talk you through it easy.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #1554
rocketkidd777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thanks for the sprocket ratio ideas wardie!!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #1555
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
... um, yeah. It's really not that big of a deal. Bolts come off, parts follow. Then they go back on. It's all brass and aluminum on the inside so just snug the jets, don't over tighten them. A little carb cleaner and common sense. It's pretty simple.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #1556
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
... um, yeah. It's really not that big of a deal. Bolts come off, parts follow. Then they go back on. It's all brass and aluminum on the inside so just snug the jets, don't over tighten them. A little carb cleaner and common sense. It's pretty simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
It really is really, really easy to put those jets in there yourself. I could talk you through it easy.
Hmmm... I didn't realize it was so easy.

I actually had an extra carb from the previous owner, so I sent the extra carb to Jesse for cleaning along with the Jet Kit. I opened up the float bowl before sending it, and was surprised how bad it looked in there. All kinds of brown/white nasty crud... Probably from the sitting gas. I hope Jesse is able to clean it up... lol

Jesse said he would replace O-Rings, etc., so I figured it was a good move to send it to him - I would have not only the jet kit installed but a fully serviced carb as well. :)

Btw, for those who have had trouble with the super tight float bowl screws, I was able to get them off with very little trouble. I put the carb down on a table with the float bowl facing up, and I pushed down with the screwdriver first, and then turned the screwdriver. The trick here was applying downward pressure on the screws while turning them. No impact driver nessecary! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketkidd777
My DR200 has a worn chain and a badly worn rear sprocket. I'm thinking of replacing both sprockets and chain. Everything is original stock. I would like to get a smaller rear sprocket to lower the rpm's at low highway speeds.

I have checked out most of the sites listed on the dr200 forum, but was a bit overwhelmed with the number of products. Would someone suggest a good (inexpensive ) replacement for both sprockets and drive chain?

Thanks!!
I don't know about a smaller rear sprocket, but I can help you as far as replacing sprockets and chain with the original ratio(15/45). The first time I purchased sprockets and a chain, I purchased each component seperately on eBay. For a front sprocket, a rear sprocket, and a chain(Non O-ring) - I paid about $65.

I put a ton of wear on my chain and sprockets because I love to do wheelies. Recently I picked up on eBay a full RK set that included an X-Ring chain and both front and rear sprockets. Here is the link:

RK CHAIN KIT & SPROCKETS SUZUKI DR200SE DR 200 96-07
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RK-CHAIN-KIT-SPROCKETS-SUZUKI-DR200SE-DR-200-96-07_W0QQitemZ230302918171QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcy cles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item359f1fa61b&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318

Cost was $87.99 plus shipping. I figured this was a fair price for high quality components.Good luck, hope this helps.

- ReT

HeReTiK screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 07:52 AM
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #1557
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

For those who are curious, here are the CycleRacks.com Rear Rack mount points.

Gear

My messy workshop

Front shot of bike with view of Knuckle Covers and Slipstreamer Windshield

HeReTiK screwed with this post 06-03-2009 at 08:15 AM
Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #1558
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
My messy workshop

Clean up that workbench *before* starting in on the carb.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #1559
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,081
Center Stands,

I've read this whole thread in doses, so forgive me if this has been hashed yet. Any of you fab up a center stand to work on these bikes? Something from a GSXR or Ninja or something? Thanks, Brent
ABHooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #1560
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan
I've read this whole thread in doses, so forgive me if this has been hashed yet. Any of you fab up a center stand to work on these bikes? Something from a GSXR or Ninja or something? Thanks, Brent
I have been fairly successful with the milk-crate-on-a-couple-pieces-of-wood solution.
mrchristian is offline   Reply With Quote