Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #1561
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan
I've read this whole thread in doses, so forgive me if this has been hashed yet. Any of you fab up a center stand to work on these bikes? Something from a GSXR or Ninja or something? Thanks, Brent
i tried to fab up a wood platform that rolled back like a center stand, but ended up using my lift and a jack stand for support.

if i want to get the bike more or less straight up for an oil change, i just put the side stand on a board or two.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #1562
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Clean up that workbench *before* starting in on the carb.
Actually, it's been on my list of things to do for a while. I just cleaned up my whole work area this morning...! :)
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #1563
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
Actually, it's been on my list of things to do for a while. I just cleaned up my whole work area this morning...! :)
Didn't happen without pics. Must be raining there? Why else would anyone clean their shop?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #1564
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Didn't happen without pics. Must be raining there? Why else would anyone clean their shop?
It's been pretty wet the last couple of days. Pics are a good idea, I'll throw some up tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #1565
X-Wing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie
I ran my 200 around Lake Erie last year in a Cannonball Run. In order to make it around in a reasonable amount of time I re-geared from 15-45 to a 15-40 for speed. My bike can hit 71 mph (GPS verified) on starightaways but like everything else what you get on one hand you lose on the other. When you hit any grades if you haven't made a run for it you'll end up downshifting because you don't have enough of a motor to pull the gear.

Hope this helps. Wardie

Hi wardie,
To me usable sprocket sizes and ratios are closely related to on-bike weight (rider + kit). and the terrain on average you will be riding.

For the average rider with kit 15/45 seems to be a great ratio for available power with reasonable cruising speed and RPM and suited to most on/off-road terrain (excluding maybe technical and extreme terrain).

Interested in hearing other peopleís opinions on this assumption? (15/45 being a good compromise do-it Ėall ratio.)

Wardie, so with the above said and you using 15/40 gearing Iím interested to hear about the following:
Your on-bike weight?
How was your roll-off , did you have to slip the clutch a bit to get rolling?
How was your crawl speed when the terrain became a bit more demanding? (Did you run out of low-end RPM?)

Iím also very interested in information on the above from people that have experimented with 15/42? (This seems to be a good ratio for long-distance cruising for an all up weight of less than 85kg/178lbs ???)

X-Wing screwed with this post 06-06-2009 at 02:56 AM
X-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #1566
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Wing
Iím also very interested in information on the above from people that have experimented with 15/42? (This seems to be a good ratio for long-distance cruising for an all up weight of less than 85kg/178lbs ???)
Dang, I'd have to chop off a leg to get to 178lbs.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #1567
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

I weigh 170lb (I think) and I'm running the 15/45 ratio. I find that 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are pretty much useless on the road. When I'm driving around town(which I'm usually doing) I'm almost always riding in 5th at 35MPH+. Of course, when I'm off-roading, I use the lower gears much more.

At high speeds, RPM's are somewhat annoying. At some point I would like to experiment with a different ratio to bring down the RPM's a bit. Suggestions?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #1568
mrchristian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
I weigh 170lb (I think) and I'm running the 15/45 ratio. I find that 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are pretty much useless on the road. When I'm driving around town(which I'm usually doing) I'm almost always riding in 5th at 35MPH+. Of course, when I'm off-roading, I use the lower gears much more.

At high speeds, RPM's are somewhat annoying. At some point I would like to experiment with a different ratio to bring down the RPM's a bit. Suggestions?
I haven't done too much research, but I have found several companies online make 16T front sprockets for the DR. Big problem is that they lack a cush drive, so lots of on-road use might be a little tough on the motor. I think a smaller rear sprocket is the way to go. I might give it a shot as soon as soon as I replace the chain. I use my DR as a daily driver like you but only have about 3,400 miles so i'll probably stick with the stock ratios for now.

15/45 is fine around town or on empty mountain roads but sucks when you get to a long stretch of high-volume road with a bunch of speeding, impatient cagers. I found the solution to find somebody slower to ride with, like my buddy on his Elite 80 scooter. :)
mrchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:53 AM   #1569
X-Wing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Laugh

Quote:
Dang, I'd have to chop off a leg to get to 178lbs.
It is my riding buddy that can get away with 178lbs including riding gear and camping kit for a long weekend Ö.. I would have to also loose a leg and perhaps half an arm depending on how often I ride me mountain bike...

At 110kg/242lbs all-up for me, 15/45 is good if you are happy cruising at 70-75km/h on the speedo (Have to check this sometime with the GPS, but with camping kit on the bike roll-off is still good and crawl speed okay if the terrain is not to hectic). Beyond 82km/h (but this is just my opinion) the RPM feels a bit too fast for sustained long distance cruising and thus my fascination with 15/42 and 14/38

My concern with smaller gears (14/39) that is practically the same ratio as 15/42, is the chain line. Seems 14/39 would bring the chain very close to the swing-arm guard near the engine and damage it Ö. can anyone confirm whether this is a problem with smaller gears on the DR?

X-Wing screwed with this post 06-07-2009 at 02:17 AM
X-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #1570
jmnd09
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New to DR's and riding

Hello, I just bought a 93 DR 250S. I have been looking to this forum for guidance as the bike isn't in the best shape. The previous owner took it upon themselves to completely take out the turn signals on the bike...I mean they took out the relay and cut wires completely. Anyway, I have figured out how to wire it back into the system but I need to know which prongs on the Flasher Relay should go to the turn signal switch on the handlebars? There is one prong that has an X. In addition to all of this where should I put the flasher relay? Thanks for all of your help
jmnd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #1571
wardie
2 Wheel Power Hour

Oddometer: 201
15/40 replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Wing
Hi wardie,
To me usable sprocket sizes and ratios are closely related to on-bike weight (rider + kit). and the terrain on average you will be riding.

For the average rider with kit 15/45 seems to be a great ratio for available power with reasonable cruising speed and RPM and suited to most on/off-road terrain (excluding maybe technical and extreme terrain).

Interested in hearing other peopleís opinions on this assumption? (15/45 being a good compromise do-it Ėall ratio.)

Wardie, so with the above said and you using 15/40 gearing Iím interested to hear about the following:
Your on-bike weight?
How was your roll-off , did you have to slip the clutch a bit to get rolling?
How was your crawl speed when the terrain became a bit more demanding? (Did you run out of low-end RPM?)

My weight is 220 lbs. and I did not carry any gear on the lake Erie Loop run. I went to the Minimalist Toruing camping/get together at Mohican State Park last year and took my tent, sleeping bag, thermorest , a chair and some clothes. I can run 55 to 60 without any strain all day. When I get above 62 all the way to 70 the motor is revving. Long hills you have to keep the throttle pegged going down the hill or pegged on the straightaway before the climb up because you won't be able to pull that gear in 5th you'll end up down shifting. As far as dirt climbing if you can hang on it'll go up anything in 1st or 2nd. Crawl speed great no problem. I think a 42 is probably the best choice overall for on raod speed and off road climbing.b Wardie
Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #1572
rbiked
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
this little thing rides awesome for such a little bike. I've heard a handful of times that it was to small for tall riders but i'm 6' 5'' and had no issues with lack of room.... i was rather sold on this bike at first but I'm going to have to look in at it's top speed and such first..

rbiked screwed with this post 07-08-2009 at 06:28 PM
rbiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #1573
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian
I haven't done too much research, but I have found several companies online make 16T front sprockets for the DR. Big problem is that they lack a cush drive, so lots of on-road use might be a little tough on the motor. I think a smaller rear sprocket is the way to go. I might give it a shot as soon as soon as I replace the chain. I use my DR as a daily driver like you but only have about 3,400 miles so i'll probably stick with the stock ratios for now.

15/45 is fine around town or on empty mountain roads but sucks when you get to a long stretch of high-volume road with a bunch of speeding, impatient cagers. I found the solution to find somebody slower to ride with, like my buddy on his Elite 80 scooter. :)
Yeah there are definitely a number of options as far as sprockets go. Non-stock sizes are not difficult to find, especially since the DR200 shares the same output shaft spline as a number of other bikes. Currently my odometer reads 7000 miles, but I think it's closer to 9000(my speedo cable was disconnected for quite a while).

I apologize if someone has already asked this question before, but I was wondering: What octane gas are you guys running? I'm using 89, for no particular reason..
Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #1574
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnd09
Hello, I just bought a 93 DR 250S. I have been looking to this forum for guidance as the bike isn't in the best shape. The previous owner took it upon themselves to completely take out the turn signals on the bike...I mean they took out the relay and cut wires completely. Anyway, I have figured out how to wire it back into the system but I need to know which prongs on the Flasher Relay should go to the turn signal switch on the handlebars? There is one prong that has an X. In addition to all of this where should I put the flasher relay? Thanks for all of your help
The DR250 is very similar to the DR350...you ought to ask in the DR350 thread. The DR200 is a pretty different design.

I haven't been able to get the turn signals working on my DR350. They were removed by the previous owner, but all the wiring and the turn signal unit appear to have been left intact. But when I plug everything in, they don't blink. I haven't looked into it any further.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #1575
RobGoBlue
I can ride on dirt, too?

Oddometer: 3
Say hi the newest member of the DR Mafia!
This is my new Weapon Of Grass Destruction!
1999 uber-clean DR200SE with only 532 miles.
Yeah, it sounds like a sewing machine, but man is it fun! Took it for a spin last night....the grin factor is off the charts!

Do you think my regular ride is going to be jealous? A 2003 SV1000N....

RobGoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote