Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #1681
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 469
damn i almost wish my front rotor was damaged so I'd have an excuse to buy one!
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #1682
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Nice 230km ride yesterday

Jodie and I had the day to ourselves so we went exploring...

It was Sunday, so why not go to church.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #1683
X-Wing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
[quote=bross]Jodie and I had the day to ourselves so we went exploring... ./quote]

230km in those mountains .... like the first photo with the little DR and the winding road on the mountain side most. Did you go up or down this road, must have been a great ride either way!

It is winter here .... thanks for sharing the photos with us!
X-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #1684
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
[QUOTE=X-Wing]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Jodie and I had the day to ourselves so we went exploring... ./quote]

230km in those mountains .... like the first photo with the little DR and the winding road on the mountain side most. Did you go up or down this road, must have been a great ride either way!

It is winter here .... thanks for sharing the photos with us!
We rode down yesterday, but were just saying that as we descended, we'd like to try it going up. I think it would be more fun that way as I have more confidence riding up hill than I do downhill. Yep 35 degrees celcius once we got back down into the valley.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #1685
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 469
very cool pics, that road looks like lots of fun
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #1686
clinton1396
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
ok this may sound dumb but my clutch cover was leaking oil, but i hope i fixed it. But when the motor is running I put the bike straight up so it isn't leaning and the oil window shows no oil.

Now Im guessing it is bc all the oil is moving through the motor but I just wanted to make sure. So could someone check on there dr to see if they see oil when it is running? thank you
clinton1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #1687
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton1396
ok this may sound dumb but my clutch cover was leaking oil, but i hope i fixed it. But when the motor is running I put the bike straight up so it isn't leaning and the oil window shows no oil.

Now Im guessing it is bc all the oil is moving through the motor but I just wanted to make sure. So could someone check on there dr to see if they see oil when it is running? thank you
I don't believe I do see a solid oil level when running...I see it splashed around. You shouldn't worry about what it looks like when it's running, just check the level with the bike standing upright a few minutes after you shut it off.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #1688
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton1396

I don't see any oil in my window while it is running either. You only need to see it when it is not running.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #1689
emach78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
86 DR lives again!

so i have an 86 dr that i bought for $140 that was missing a cam and needed a lot of love. i have been working on it for a while and it is finally running. that is until i had to saw off the kickstarter to replace the clutch springs. (it was welded on) the question i have is, is it possible to add on the bits that would make it street legal, like signals odometer and such, maybe from the sp 200, and furthermore, would it be worth it do such? i already have a street bike and am testing the limits of my girlfriend on how much she will allow, money wise, to be dumped into the ugliest dr there is, without getting married. could i have a viable commuter/ dualsport for a few more bucks? am i crazy? i know the answer to the last question. any help appretiated!
emach78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #1690
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emach78
so i have an 86 dr that i bought for $140 that was missing a cam and needed a lot of love. i have been working on it for a while and it is finally running. that is until i had to saw off the kickstarter to replace the clutch springs. (it was welded on) the question i have is, is it possible to add on the bits that would make it street legal, like signals odometer and such, maybe from the sp 200, and furthermore, would it be worth it do such? i already have a street bike and am testing the limits of my girlfriend on how much she will allow, money wise, to be dumped into the ugliest dr there is, without getting married. could i have a viable commuter/ dualsport for a few more bucks? am i crazy? i know the answer to the last question. any help appretiated!
If you're in a state like Colorado, it's pretty easy to make it street legal. Where are you? Your profile isn't filled out.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #1691
emach78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
right!, total forum noob. I'm in columbus ohio. i bought it from some kids, so total barn find. awesome for me, but also bad, since they didn't have a title, so i'll have to jump through those hoops too. it's also bored .20 over and i had to use a cam from the suzuk lt230 quad to make it happen. i'm currently waiting on clutch cable to arrive, then i have to get the on/off switch working. also, if anyone has an 86-88 dr or sp 125/200 that is willing to part a few things out to me, that would be rad! i just read up some on the title switch in ohio from off road to on. looks like an inspection and some paperwork. hopefully not too bad. i was silly and misplaced my bill of sale too. lost in the excitement of rekidling my youth!
emach78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #1692
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Question Battery Options

What are the latest battery options for the DR200?
planetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #1693
planetmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Question Idle Problem

The bike sat in a warm garage for a few months and now it won't idle. It ran fine before but did take a few minutes to warm up.

If I have the choke out slightly it seems to work fine but it idles high. When the bike is warm and I try to let it idle, with the choke in, it idles for a few seconds and then the engine seems to hunt or skip and then it dies. Even when I increase the idle screw it seems to do this.

Any thoughts?
planetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #1694
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetmike
The bike sat in a warm garage for a few months and now it won't idle. It ran fine before but did take a few minutes to warm up.

If I have the choke out slightly it seems to work fine but it idles high. When the bike is warm and I try to let it idle, with the choke in, it idles for a few seconds and then the engine seems to hunt or skip and then it dies. Even when I increase the idle screw it seems to do this.

Any thoughts?
It's almost certainly a clogged jet. Time to clean the carb.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #1695
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetmike

Any thoughts?
Klay is probably right, but check the air filter too. When I got mine it had been sitting at the dealers for a few months, after being ridden regularly, and I had to clean the carb. Still did not run too well, idle issues, etc. I pulled the air cleaner and found that the lower section was rotted away. These bikes are jetted so lean that they need the restriction of the filter to run right. I made a temporary one out of some foam that was lying about and it ran fine.

Aloha, Andy
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote