Oddometer: 98,309
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #212
Squirells
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARRERASBAJA
I saw the pics of the Beta and it has a Kickstarter. Wondering if you know if parts to add a kickstarter would fit into a 2002 DR200.
I had a really helpful guy at the Betamotor distributor in CA do some research and he's pretty certain nothing can be done with the kickstart. DR350 won't fit, and apparently neither will the Beta alp. The only other option is getting in touch with an Australian dealer, where they still sell a dr200 variant called the Trojan, a "farm bike" with a kick start among other things. I'll let u know what I find out. There has to be a solution, the damn bike has a hole in the side labeled claerly for a kickstart...

Cheers
Squirells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #213
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirells
I had a really helpful guy at the Betamotor distributor in CA do some research and he's pretty certain nothing can be done with the kickstart. DR350 won't fit, and apparently neither will the Beta alp. The only other option is getting in touch with an Australian dealer, where they still sell a dr200 variant called the Trojan, a "farm bike" with a kick start among other things. I'll let u know what I find out. There has to be a solution, the damn bike has a hole in the side labeled claerly for a kickstart...

Cheers

You can look at the fische online at www.mrcycles.com and I don't see the dealbreaker for why a kicker cannot be installed, at least when comparing it to the sp200 engine.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #214
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNutz
you can't even get a K&N for these things. I know, 'cause I've written K&N twice with no reply.
Speakin of air filters, does ANYBODY make an aftermarket one? Mine is kinda ratty but I can't find anything. (I have a DR125 but the filter should be the same).
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #215
MacNutz
Regi-mental Scotsman

Oddometer: 21
Cool2 filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Speakin of air filters, does ANYBODY make an aftermarket one? Mine is kinda ratty but I can't find anything. (I have a DR125 but the filter should be the same).
I've looked at many companies and still can't find one. If yours is ratty just get a new one. The stock one is more than large enough for a stock engine. Even with slight exhaust mods.
MacNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #216
MacNutz
Regi-mental Scotsman

Wink 200 muffler

Here is the pic of the exhaust system I made. It really wakes up the beast.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #217
MacNutz
Regi-mental Scotsman

Wink 200 muffler

And here's another angle. Ignore the FMF sticker. I put that on for show.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #218
MacNutz
Regi-mental Scotsman

Eek K270

And for the skeptical ones out there, I bought this matched set of Kenda 270 tires at 47,100 kms almost three years ago. I now have over 56,300 kms without any flats. Except when I sheared the rear valve-stem off doing a catwalk on pavement. I've put 9200 kms of hard riding on them, and they still have life left in them.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #219
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
And for the skeptical ones out there, I bought this matched set of Kenda 270 tires at 47,100 kms almost three years ago. I now have over 56,300 kms without any flats. Except when I sheared the rear valve-stem off doing a catwalk on pavement. I've put 9200 kms of hard riding on them, and they still have life left in them.
How much on-road riding do you do? I have about 1700 miles on my K270 rear and it's completely used up.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #220
MacNutz
Regi-mental Scotsman

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
How much on-road riding do you do? I have about 1700 miles on my K270 rear and it's completely used up.
I ride about 70% dirt, 30% pavement. Is your K270 on something bigger than a 200? High torque bikes will eat rear tires in any conditions.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #221
MacNutz
Regi-mental Scotsman

Dr200 leaps

Here's a couple more jumps caught on cam.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #222
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
I ride about 70% dirt, 30% pavement. Is your K270 on something bigger than a 200? High torque bikes will eat rear tires in any conditions.
No, it's on the 200. Mostly road miles. The K270 on my DR650 is lasting much longer. They must be different compounds. Yours may be lasting because of the dirt riding.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #223
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
someone need sto yank the right cover and take osme pics, from there we should be able to tell straight away if it's moddable for a kicker.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #224
zomby woof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian640
Hi,

Can an owner of a Beta Alp 200 tag along to this thread?

Rationale: Beta Alp 200 has a 199cc Suzuki motor, which I guess i the ame unit as in the DR200.

Beta Alp here: http://www.betamotor.com/en/bikes/show/5?model=13

It's a great machine but I think it needs a little bit more go. Any tuning parts (big bore kits, camshafts etc.) available for the DR200 motor? Long shot I know, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.
The camshaft for a DR-Z125 will work in a 200 motor. You can get one from hotcams.
Its pretty mild, but it is a little better than the stocker.
Have a look in the DR-Z125 section on thumpertalk. Lots of stuff available for the 125 should work on the 200.
I started the cam thread, so if you have any questions, just PM me.
I sold my 125, and I'm trying to decide whether to go DR200, or XT225 for the street.
What do you guys think, I wonder
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #225
MacNutz
Regi-mental Scotsman

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomby woof
The camshaft for a DR-Z125 will work in a 200 motor. You can get one from hotcams.
Its pretty mild, but it is a little better than the stocker.
Have a look in the DR-Z125 section on thumpertalk. Lots of stuff available for the 125 should work on the 200.
I started the cam thread, so if you have any questions, just PM me.
I sold my 125, and I'm trying to decide whether to go DR200, or XT225 for the street.
What do you guys think, I wonder

As for which bike to use, both are excellent, comparable machines. The cost is really close. The size is almost identical, as with the weight. Both are electric start. The Suzuki holds a gallon more and gets better mileage. The power of both bikes are so close that it is hard to tell the difference. The only real plus with the XT is that there is more 'part interchangeability', whereas the DR has almost nix for aftermarket stuff.

I researched three bikes before making my decision. The 250 Sherpa, the XT225, and the DR200. The XT was the serious contender in my battle, but the DR eventually won hands down. With the mileage and tank size I get about 300kms (200 miles) bush riding above reserve. It has been an awsome machine for me.

MacNutz screwed with this post 01-16-2008 at 09:30 PM