Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #2401
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
I see...... .... I should have remembered as well the KT instructions....
Perhaps I need to clarify myself as well.........When I say 2 1/2 turns.....as with the industry norm.....THAT IS FROM THE FULLY SEATED POSITION. As far as the cover.... If you do the 4 holes.....You will have less intake noise......a lot ...actually....

Erling
Thanks for all your posts as they not only helped me, but others in the future when they read these.

I filed down the fuel screw tube but was not sure I went enough. So I just followed the instructions and went 16 turn in. I could have gone more but figure I test from there and file more if I needed to but since I had to back it out, I filed it enough and quickly started riding!

Thanks,
Con
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #2402
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
There have been several here, and several friends of mine have experienced this as well. You jet your carb correctly, and all is fine....well except for high speed cruise.....Some have experienced surging at wot. The wot surges I have helped trouble shoot, I determined that it was due to turbulence induced into the airbox. Common denominator.... They all rode with their airbox door removed. If you look forward on top of the airbox there is a straight path where the air hit`s the cylinder...heats up and then dumps into the air box with the lid removed. If you study the affects on turbulence in the intake area, you will be surprised as to how detrimental it can be. I know some of you are doing this per recommendations of Jesse from Kientech, and I mean no harm or insults to him. I have spoken with him at many occasions for more than one bike. He is a hard working man, and a great asset to our ds community. That said..... I tested several setups......and found that if you drilled 4 one inch holes in the top of the lid rather than one big one....or just leaving it off....... You would all but eliminate the turbulence introduced into the airbox. Furthermore......It would minimize the intake noise that would be present riding with the big hole...or lid removed.

I just thought I`d trow that out there. If your not bothered by the intake noise, and/or have no surging at high speed/wot.....then no need to mind.

Erling
Found these during a google search:
http://www.twinair.com/worldwide/new...r-airbox-vents
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTZS02

Pretty expensive but they come with snap in covers which would be good during water crossings or heavy rain. Appears the oval is almost 2" x 6" and round looks 3" if I did my mm to inch calc correctly.

I wonder if there is enough room on the side of the airbox to use these so they can be covered up without removing the seat.

Also found these:
http://www.moto-man.com/Uni-Air-Box-Vents_p_2201.html
much cheaper no covers but has foam that can be oiled.

This last one is interesting:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...r3_44007154_go
A review on an ATV here:
http://www.atvriders.com/atvproductr...airboxlid.html
http://outerwearsairbox.com/products...airbox_EHS.htm
Appears you can just buy the material. The atv review, he cut the airbox lid and use the material.

I like the design of the twin air but the price and mounting options might limit the appeal. I might try the second or third option.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #2403
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman
Thanks for all your posts as they not only helped me, but others in the future when they read these.

I filed down the fuel screw tube but was not sure I went enough. So I just followed the instructions and went 16 turn in. I could have gone more but figure I test from there and file more if I needed to but since I had to back it out, I filed it enough and quickly started riding!

Thanks,
Con
Yeppers....Con.

I know what your saying.......I find myself passing up my monster drz470....in favor of my wifes dr200.......It`s now a fun bike....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #2404
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman
Found these during a google search:
http://www.twinair.com/worldwide/new...r-airbox-vents
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTZS02

Pretty expensive but they come with snap in covers which would be good during water crossings or heavy rain. Appears the oval is almost 2" x 6" and round looks 3" if I did my mm to inch calc correctly.

I wonder if there is enough room on the side of the airbox to use these so they can be covered up without removing the seat.

Also found these:
http://www.moto-man.com/Uni-Air-Box-Vents_p_2201.html
much cheaper no covers but has foam that can be oiled.

This last one is interesting:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...r3_44007154_go
A review on an ATV here:
http://www.atvriders.com/atvproductr...airboxlid.html
http://outerwearsairbox.com/products...airbox_EHS.htm
Appears you can just buy the material. The atv review, he cut the airbox lid and use the material.

I like the design of the twin air but the price and mounting options might limit the appeal. I might try the second or third option.
I found that there is a whole lot more dirt being kicked up on the sides of the airbox rather than the top. I guess there is a reason that they put it topside. Another thing is flow resistance..... Se for the little 200.... the stock 3 holes are actually big enough. The reason the engine is still starved is the 3 snorkels the motor has to suck through. They are in place to dampen the intake pulses (noise)....But if they were removable...like it is on the bigger brother the drz400....that`s all that you had to do....But it`s not....thus the need to drill new ones. Once you get it dialed in....like the 4 holes in top...correct jetting...that thing should rip through out all altitudes....with some power loss of course. I would`nt worry about water intrusion either way..... water will find it`s way into the box....but simply drain out in the bottom......

Erling
Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 PM   #2405
capnkirk13
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hope all of you had a great Easter Sunday! Am too full to do much more than type But earlier I, while troubleshooting a horn issue, decided to pull the airbox lid completely off and see what happens. I could barely get it into fourth...ran like crap. I then sealed the 3" hole and took it for another ride. HUGE difference...no surge whatsoever...pulled solid thru full rpm range and all gears...70mph and I'm 185lbs. I think my next purchase is going to be a new airbox lid
capnkirk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #2406
Atom00
Young Rider

Oddometer: 24
I just recently changed the main jet/muffler on bike and adjusted the fuel screw accordingly. I also tried cleaning my air filter but did not seem to do a good enough job so the bike sounded like it was *gasping for air*, making loud hallow thumping sounds in the air box. I was still able to ride the bike and it performed fine at throttle but has trouble idling. I just re did the air filter this time correctly and went through the carb and cleaned it just in case. I think this should be a solution to my problem anyone else have any other ideas?
Atom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #2407
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk13
Hope all of you had a great Easter Sunday! Am too full to do much more than type But earlier I, while troubleshooting a horn issue, decided to pull the airbox lid completely off and see what happens. I could barely get it into fourth...ran like crap. I then sealed the 3" hole and took it for another ride. HUGE difference...no surge whatsoever...pulled solid thru full rpm range and all gears...70mph and I'm 185lbs. I think my next purchase is going to be a new airbox lid

Erling
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #2408
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom00
I just recently changed the main jet/muffler on bike and adjusted the fuel screw accordingly. I also tried cleaning my air filter but did not seem to do a good enough job so the bike sounded like it was *gasping for air*, making loud hallow thumping sounds in the air box. I was still able to ride the bike and it performed fine at throttle but has trouble idling. I just re did the air filter this time correctly and went through the carb and cleaned it just in case. I think this should be a solution to my problem anyone else have any other ideas?
Start by posting you jetting.....( MJ....PJ....Fuelscrew..etc) riding altitude....
exhaust....airbox mods....etc.....

Erling
Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #2409
jimmesa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Help!

I've got a oil leak that has me baffled. The head gasket has been replaced and still can't see where the leak is coming from. Has anyone tried dye in the oil to find a leak...or any other ideas...would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks, Jim
'02 Suzuki DR200SE
jimmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #2410
bwallca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmesa
I've got a oil leak that has me baffled. The head gasket has been replaced and still can't see where the leak is coming from. Has anyone tried dye in the oil to find a leak...or any other ideas...would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks, Jim
Clean thoroughly then spray with baby powder (talcum powder). A leak will show up as a black line in the white powder.
Ben
bwallca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #2411
Atom00
Young Rider

Quote:
Start by posting you jetting.....( MJ....PJ....Fuelscrew..etc) riding altitude....
exhaust....airbox mods....etc.....

Erling
Its a stock main jet the was drilled out with a .44 bit, didnt change the pilot jet, custom supertrapp muffler( much like the FMF), I ride pretty much 80/20 off road/on road mostly rough trails at like 30mph, followed the airbox mod of four 1inch holes.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #2412
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,661
I think the easiest thing to do might be to go to baseline setting...like the Kientech jets with the two-inch hole in the airbox cover...rather than try to sort things out with what you have.

windigo

Klay screwed with this post 04-05-2010 at 05:17 PM
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #2413
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom00
Its a stock main jet the was drilled out with a .44 bit, didnt change the pilot jet, custom supertrapp muffler( much like the FMF), I ride pretty much 80/20 off road/on road mostly rough trails at like 30mph, followed the airbox mod of four 1inch holes.
You need to get a stock MJ. You are opening a can of worms by enlarging it with the stock needle. It has little to no taper on it, and that is part of the reason you got issues. At this point you will be chasing your tail . ..Get a stock MJ...(if you are above 3000 feet elevation...Don`t if you are below 3000 feet elevation..The KT kit has a bigger MJ)......Kientech kit....( it has the custom tapper needle). Drilling out jets, are asking for trouble...

Erling
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #2414
Atom00
Young Rider

Thanks for the help. I did forget to mention that I shimmed the needle. Also after cleaning the carb I seem to longer have any troubles, however I feel the KT kit is tried and true and will most likely switch over soon enough.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #2415
MX_Jason
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
what pilot does the kientech kit come with? i just sent an email to them to order the kit and needle but my pilot is allready 40 and i think thats the one that comes with it? If anyone knows can they let me know please?
MX_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote