User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #2416
MX_Jason
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
1985 DR 200 Rear Rack

I started making this rear rack last night and finished it up today. It took about 3 1/2 hours to design and fabricate. Materials Cost roughly 35 dollars Canadian. I have more material on order to make light frames to support soft saddle bags or those ammo boxes I saw some people mention.

The drawing is to scale ( 1:4 ) give or take a 16th and all measurements should be correct but double check because I made some changes while I was fabbing the rack and may have forgotten to make a change on the drawing.

MX_Jason screwed with this post 04-06-2010 at 11:24 AM
MX_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #2417
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom00
Thanks for the help. I did forget to mention that I shimmed the needle. Also after cleaning the carb I seem to longer have any troubles, however I feel the KT kit is tried and true and will most likely switch over soon enough.
You will like the kit. Se... when you shim the needle.....You do in fact raise it.... But since the taper is not aggressive.... You are really not doing any good. The KT needle has a aggressive taper, so when raising it...It schedules more full....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #2418
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX_Jason
what pilot does the kientech kit come with? i just sent an email to them to order the kit and needle but my pilot is allready 40 and i think thats the one that comes with it? If anyone knows can they let me know please?
40 is too big. The KT comes with a 37.5......Stock is 35....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #2419
web037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
More DR200 jetting games

Well after resolving a problem with a poorly seated venturi diaphragm my wifes DR200 was running as it should again so it was time to see if I could break it some more by playing with the jets. To start I shimmed the stock needle up 1 1/2 mm with washers and switched to a 130 main. To my surprise just that made a pretty nice difference, got rid of the stock leanness and made it pull just a little better through the whole throttle range. Next I tried removing the air box lid, bad idea, too lean, rough and unsteady from about 1/4 throttle on up. I think for the next game I will try duct taping a piece of plastic over the air box that I can slowly slide back to see what the correct amount of extra air is. Once I get the opening optimized I could drill the original cover to match.
web037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #2420
1vbref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
1997 Dr 200 ???

I looking for anyone that has a 1997 DR 200. I have found one that is for sale locally that I'm interested with 4000 miles on the odometer. Any comments or concerns good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
1vbref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #2421
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blindvbref
I looking for anyone that has a 1997 DR 200. I have found one that is for sale locally that I'm interested with 4000 miles on the odometer. Any comments or concerns good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
Hey there Phil. I bought a 1997 DR200 about a year and a half ago for $850. It had about 4000 miles as well.

I have had very few bikes so I am not as knowledgeable as the other folks here, but I would pay attention to how clean the bike is. The one I got was dusty and had alot of non-oem parts(nuts, bolts, etc.). Someone who keeps a clean bike is likely to have kept it in good mechanical condition.

On this particular bike I had to replace/repair/attend to the following things:
- The front fork oil needed to be changed. I had the local Suzuki shop do this. They recommended a fork rebuild as well(Perhaps this is typical for a 10+ yr old bike).
- My rear shock needs to be replaced(I have yet to do this, perhaps this summer) - it generates a great deal of noise right now.
- Sprockets and chain were worn, these are easy to replace. I wanted to change gearing anyway so it worked out.
- Grips were worn, handlbars were slightly bent. These are easy to replace as well.
- Petcock was replaced with a non-vacuum operated petcock. See my not below.

The number one thing specific to the DR200 that is known to fail is the vacuum operated petcock. You will see a great deal of discussion regarding this on this thread. This is known to fail over time and cause the carb float bowl to fill with gas and damage the float bowl needle. However this probably isn't a deal breaker. Ask the owner not to warm it up so you can see how easy the bike is to start.

Also, unless you are mechanically gifted, I would watch out for problems with anything complicated: suspension, carb, engine, electrical, clutch, etc. as these are typically more difficult and costly to repair.

How much does this person want for the 97' DR200?

On a more general note I would warn you that depending on your riding skill/experience and your intentions for the DR200, you may find it to be small and underpowered. Remember we are talking about only a 200cc engine. I've had my DR200 for a year and I am very much ready for a DR650 or a Honda XR650L(I do primarily road riding, with the occasional trail-blasting). If you plan to take this bike offroad more than 50% I would consider a different bike(feel free to blast me down, anyone) as the bike's suspension doesn't seem to be up to advance off-roading. I do love my DR200 though!!!

I hope all my recommendations are accurate and helpful. :) Again, my experience is fairly limited.

Good luck!

HeReTiK screwed with this post 04-07-2010 at 08:09 PM
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #2422
1vbref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks HeReTiK for the info,

From the pictures advertised, it looks to be a clean bike, asking price is $1800.00. A little high compared to what you paid.

Phil
1vbref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #2423
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

From the pictures advertised, it looks to be a clean bike, asking price is $1800.00. A little high compared to what you paid.

Phil
Definitely too high. Glad I could help.

Two other things I just remembed:
- My spokes on both my front and rear wheels broke. I had both wheels relaced with new spokes.
- Valves needed to be checked and adjusted.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #2424
jamier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:

Phil
I have a 97 too and it is a fun bike.
Not sure about the specifics on this bike but the KBB Retail for a 97 is only $1500.
jamier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #2425
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Bluhduh

Kenda k761 or IRC GP-110?

I ride mostly street, but wanna get on the trails now and then. There going on the baby 'zuki. Also looking to do mostly highway riding, so i want a comfortable ride.

Lemme hear suggestions!

Thanks a ton guys,
Joe

planemanx15 screwed with this post 04-10-2010 at 06:42 AM
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #2426
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
Kenda k761 or IRC GP-110?

I ride mostly street, but wanna get on the trails now and then. There going on the baby 'zuki. Also looking to do most highway riding, so i want a comfortable ride.

Lemme hear suggestions!

Thanks a ton guys,
Joe
You are seriously like the 5th person to ask that on this thread. Even as recently as the last page. GP-1's, all the way. Also, I experienced the same learning curve, but you should know that the DR200 isn't up to highway riding. It's downright scary, seriously.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #2427
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
You are seriously like the 5th person to ask that on this thread. Even as recently as the last page. GP-1's, all the way. Also, I experienced the same learning curve, but you should know that the DR200 isn't up to highway riding. It's downright scary, seriously.
I was buzzing around at 60 mph on the highway today on mine. It doesn't stop like a modern motorcycle from those speeds, but if you rode a bike from the 70's and then jumped on the 200, it might feel comparable.

Running Kenda K270s here. Very inexpensive.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #2428
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
should have added this: by highway I mean large main roads doing about 50 max.

On the Long Island Expressway the mean speed is about 75. Me and the DR are not up to doing that. The further out east you go from me, you can do 50-60 without drivers coming up your ass.

All the trips I've done thus far are all off highways, since there no fun!

Seems like the GP-1's win hands down, no votes for the GP-110's? kinda cool looking treads
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #2429
soupbowl
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question Oil filter case, is this normal?

I got a 2009 dr200, honestly, It has run poorly since i bought it months ago. I could not get it over 85 km/hr down hill. I brought it to my dealer and they said it works as it should. Long story short, I don't get along with my suzuki dealer and I cannot trust anything they say.

My problem is, I was changing my oil filter, which is the first time I have done an oil change, since its only the bikes second oil change (the dealer did the first). I found a lot of metal flakes in the oil filter hole, after pulling the oil filter. I found a large hole behind the filter, I understand there should be a small hole there for the oil, but someone with more experience with dr200 can tell me.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1270945907

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1270945906

I showed these to the dealer and they said its normal, haha. Well maybe some of you can let me know or show a picture of yours.

Cheers

soupbowl screwed with this post 04-10-2010 at 06:52 PM
soupbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #2430
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,139
I believe that's normal, but I can check when I get home.

I was buzzing around at 100 km/hr the other day on mine. There has to be something wrong with yours. But a few metal particles is not abnormal for a new engine.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote