Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #2431
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupbowl
I got a 2009 dr200, honestly, It has run poorly since i bought it months ago. I could not get it over 85 km/hr down hill. I brought it to my dealer and they said it works as it should. Long story short, I don't get along with my suzuki dealer and I cannot trust anything they say.

My problem is, I was changing my oil filter, which is the first time I have done an oil change, since its only the bikes second oil change (the dealer did the first). I found a lot of metal flakes in the oil filter hole, after pulling the oil filter. I found a large hole behind the filter, I understand there should be a small hole there for the oil, but someone with more experience with dr200 can tell me.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1270945907

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1270945906

I showed these to the dealer and they said its normal, haha. Well maybe some of you can let me know or show a picture of yours.

Cheers
Yeppers..... That is normal..... The top hole is return.....goes through the filter....then through the center hole fresh back in to the motor.....There should be no flakes in the oil.... well maybe except after the first oil change...wear on parts.... But then it should be clear.
Did you buy the bike from new...ie first owner??? What altitude are you at???.....Has anything been done to the jetting??? Any other issues beside not being able to best the 85 km/hr????

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #2432
soupbowl
n00b

Oddometer: 6
First off, thanks for your responses:
Altitude: 1044 m
Jetting: Stock, not touched by me anyways.

The reason I was worried is because, it looks filed, but mostly because there was metal flakes in that tube and the metal around the hole seems very fragile, like i can break it off almost. There was metal flakes in the oil, like paint chips.

I bought the bike brand new from a suzuki dealer. some of the problems I have had is: can't get faster then 85 km/hr, its like hitting a wall. Bike Is at high RPMs and working hard, but its just... weak. Giving the bike quick gas, like 0 to 60% throttle will stall it. Bike randomly stalls on down hills when it gets warmed up.

I have brought the bike in a few times to suzuki, they have said everything is fine every time. The last time I did it, they had it for 3 days they put 100 km on the bike and said nothing was wrong with it, and they did 'nothing' to it. After I got it back, the bike ran very good. I even hit 110 km/hr, I was very happy with it.

But right before I did this oil change on the bike it returned to 85km/hr
and it runs very hot. Every time I tell Suzuki about the speed problems
they always respond 'well its a 200, thats how they are'. Its a little frustrating.
soupbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #2433
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:

The reason I was worried is because, it looks filed, but mostly because there was metal flakes in that tube and the metal around the hole seems very fragile, like i can break it off almost. There was metal flakes in the oil, like paint chips.

I bought the bike brand new from a suzuki dealer. some of the problems I have had is: can't get faster then 85 km/hr, its like hitting a wall. Bike Is at high RPMs and working hard, but its just... weak. Giving the bike quick gas, like 0 to 60% throttle will stall it. Bike randomly stalls on down hills when it gets warmed up.

I have brought the bike in a few times to suzuki, they have said everything is fine every time. The last time I did it, they had it for 3 days they put 100 km on the bike and said nothing was wrong with it, and they did 'nothing' to it. After I got it back, the bike ran very good. I even hit 110 km/hr, I was very happy with it.

they always respond 'well its a 200, thats how they are'. Its a little frustrating.
How much do you weigh? Only reason I ask is that Jodie can easily hit 100km/h on her DR200 but I have a hard time getting much over 80-85km/h. I weigh 200lbs so have a good 60-70lbs more than Jodie so maybe it's just a combination of your elevation and weight? We're at 3500' as well and Jodie's runs well, bone stock but there's no way she can get above 80 coming up the mountain and she usually only hits 100 on slight downhills.

When you did your oil change did you keep track of the small "O" ring behind the oil filter? Sometimes when you change the oil it gets stuck to the old filter and it's easy to toss. You need both "O" rings in this schematic, #14 & 16. One for the filter cover and the small one behind the filter.

http://www.bikebandit.com/2007-suzuk...r200se/o/m9803

click on "Engine and Exhaust", then "Oil Pump"
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #2434
soupbowl
n00b

I weigh 170 pounds, I think i just got a dud. I did keep track of the o rings, they are both there.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #2435
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,367
Quote:
If the behavior of the bike is changing like that, there's definitely something wrong. Maybe it was random chance it didn't happen when the dealer was trying it.

The fact that it's running hotter when it's ailing says "carburetor problem" to me. They ought to disassemble the carb and take a look at it.

I weigh 210 pounds and I can get mine to about 70 mph on the flat and level. They're jetted lean from the factory, so I suspect yours ought to run better at 1044 meters than mine runs at 1000 feet. Mine ran really good with the stock jets at over 10,000 feet. It was jetted lean for 1,000 feet.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #2436
soupbowl
n00b

Thanks for the replys. I think what my best bet is to bring it to ANOTHER shop and get them to look over it. not sure what I will do with their findings but I hope I can work something out with at least Suzuki, since this dealer is not handling things well.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #2437
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Thanks for the replys. I think what my best bet is to bring it to ANOTHER shop and get them to look over it. not sure what I will do with their findings but I hope I can work something out with at least Suzuki, since this dealer is not handling things well.
Where are you located, besides Canada. I'm in Osoyoos and you mentioned Southern BC?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #2438
web037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Baby DR gets new fork springs

As part of this winters remake of my wife's DR200 I searched high and low for some stiffer springs because she is not exactly the 120# rider that these bikes are made for and the same goes for me. I had no luck finding a spring specific to the DR200 but my research reviled that Honda CRF150F's used the same diameter and same rate spring. BBR makes a set of springs for the CRF150F that are supposed to be 30% stiffer than stock so I thought I would give those a try.

Here is a picture of the two spring sets side by side. Stock DR200 springs on the bottom, the BBR springs on top. Notice that the stock springs are progressive and a little shorter, it is hard to see in the picture but the BBR springs are considerably stiffer and they are also straight rate.

I changed out the springs as part of a fork rebuild over the winter. I have had no luck finding a replacement rear spring so for the moment I have the preload cranked up as high as specs allow. The bike rides much nicer now without constant bottoming of the forks and shocks. It sits considerably higher, so much so that I actually had to change out the stock kick stand to a spare DR350 stand that I had in the garage because the bike was leaning at such a steep angle. This combined with some mild rejetting I did last week makes it a much nicer trail bike. Here it is in all it's glory after a mere 17K miles!
web037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #2439
soupbowl
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Where are you located, besides Canada. I'm in Osoyoos and you mentioned Southern BC?
Westbank
Old 04-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #2440
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Westbank
We should meet up and you can try Jodie's to see if you can see a difference.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #2441
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:

If it changes with time.... You have a jetting issue. If the bike sits over 14 days.....Your pilot jet has a tendency to get plugged....That will not affect your WOT much though....But it will cause it to cough when hammering the throttle. The bike is jettet for should we call it sea level. I am at 1300m....In the desert. And my wifes did not run good until re jetted. Shame on your dealer.... They should/does know this. You can do one of two things.... Find another dealer.....ask them to re-jet for your altitude.... They will charge you....since " it is not a defect". Or you can spend about CAN$60.....order a kientech jet kit......and rejet for your altitude..... The bike need this. Your running rich right now....asuming that it is still stock..... The re-jetting procedure will serve you well, and you will like the results. It is easy to do, and if you decide to go that way.....we can help you along......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #2442
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by web037
As part of this winters remake of my wife's DR200 I searched high and low for some stiffer springs because she is not exactly the 120# rider that these bikes are made for and the same goes for me. I had no luck finding a spring specific to the DR200 but my research reviled that Honda CRF150F's used the same diameter and same rate spring. BBR makes a set of springs for the CRF150F that are supposed to be 30% stiffer than stock so I thought I would give those a try.

Here is a picture of the two spring sets side by side. Stock DR200 springs on the bottom, the BBR springs on top. Notice that the stock springs are progressive and a little shorter, it is hard to see in the picture but the BBR springs are considerably stiffer and they are also straight rate.

I changed out the springs as part of a fork rebuild over the winter. I have had no luck finding a replacement rear spring so for the moment I have the preload cranked up as high as specs allow. The bike rides much nicer now without constant bottoming of the forks and shocks. It sits considerably higher, so much so that I actually had to change out the stock kick stand to a spare DR350 stand that I had in the garage because the bike was leaning at such a steep angle. This combined with some mild rejetting I did last week makes it a much nicer trail bike. Here it is in all it's glory after a mere 17K miles!
Thanks for sharing your find on the springs. I couldn't help but notice that black seat. Is that stock?
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #2443
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15
should have added this: by highway I mean large main roads doing about 50 max.

On the Long Island Expressway the mean speed is about 75. Me and the DR are not up to doing that. The further out east you go from me, you can do 50-60 without drivers coming up your ass.

All the trips I've done thus far are all off highways, since there no fun!

Seems like the GP-1's win hands down, no votes for the GP-110's? kinda cool looking treads
I had GP-110s on mine, worked really well.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #2444
web037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK
Thanks for sharing your find on the springs. I couldn't help but notice that black seat. Is that stock?
I believe it was on the 2000 models which ours is.
web037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #2445
hardcorehillbilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Dumped my wife's dr200. Bent something. She is not happy.

The handlebars are pulled/pushed back slightly on the right side. The clamp that holds the bar to the top of the triple plate appears to have a 'gap' or separation more so than the side, where it attaches to the triple plate. Looking at diagrams of stock set up, it appears there is a bolt that runs throught the bottom piece of the clamp, through the triple plate and has a nut on the bottom.

I have done this same thing to another bike and never fixed it, so I don't know exactly what is bent.

In anyone's experience what do you think is probably bent?
Handle bars.
Bolt going throught the clamp/triple?
clamp itself?
other suggestions?

I have not had a chance to pull it apart yet.
hardcorehillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote