This seat cover, $17.99 with an inch piece of foam beneath it is super comfy

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #2987
NZDrRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
DR200 Carb

Does anyone know whether a DR250S carb is a bolt on replacement for the DR200SE and is there any benefit?

Thanks
NZDrRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #2988
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 889
Which manual petcock is better?

The one for the TTR-125LE or the Raptor? Which is closer to stock as far as reserve goes or can be adjusted to make it close to original? I need to replace one for a friend and would like it to be the best fit and operation. And what is the final verdict on the Raptor petcock and bending/modding the gas tank? This is going on a 2005 or 2006 DR200SE.
Thanks,
DB
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #2989
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas
Thanks for the compliments- can you post a pic of your tu250
Will try soon, Death in family, will do later thanks CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #2990
spower
4AMGURL

Oddometer: 30
Help with carb...please!

Long story short....

Bike would not start, fuel going into airbox
Took carb out, took to shop and had it cleaned
Put carb back in bike, bike now starts but
runs like crap! There is like no power, couldn't even ride down the street

SO......not cleaned right? Or what else?

Thanks for your help!!!
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #2991
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Neither is really a good road bike, but those wide tires with the knobbies on the TW are definitely more intended for off road.
I agree with that. I am a big fan of the DR200. I had one for several years and put on about 11000 miles w/o any pbs. I sold it because I was using my plated TTR230 with full knobbies more and my sons moved on to bigger bikes. Great bike to learn on. The stock tires are fine for hard pack and gravel and will last a long time.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #2992
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by spower
Long story short....

Thanks for your help!!!
The petcock is probably leaking fuel into the carb and airbox. This is a common issue with the DR200. Something done at the shop to the carb may have compounded the issue.

Try a new petcock and a new fuel needle and seat.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #2993
Lukon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Best mileage so far...

I recently ran two consecutive tankfuls at 101.5 mpg - so I know it was no fluke. I did this with my long PCH commute, accelerating very gently, shifting very early, and keeping it to 50mph and below. Mileage drops off fast after 50mph!

Normally, I get about 85mpg...
Old 09-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #2994
Lukon
Adventurer

Brake Pads - gone quick!

Used up what I assume were the original brake pads at about 6500 miles. Is this normal for this bike - have others had similar experiences? Hope the aftermarket pads last longer!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:25 AM   #2995
Lukon
Adventurer

Sprocket Questions

How much difference is there likely to be between a 37t and a 39t rear sprocket?

Do you guys think it would be possible to size a chain to accommodate a 39t or 45t sprocket at either end of full adjustment?

How many links do I take out to accommodate 37t or 39t sprockets? How many links should the chain have in total?

Thanks in advance for any answers you guys can provide.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #2996
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukon
Used up what I assume were the original brake pads at about 6500 miles. Is this normal for this bike - have others had similar experiences? Hope the aftermarket pads last longer!
6500 miles is not unusual. Pads are cheap and easy to replace.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #2997
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by spower
Long story short....

Thanks for your help!!!
As Klay said, you need to address the petcock, and the float needle. If the petcock is working, and not set to the prime position, fuel should not flow to the carb. If the float and needle are OK then no fuel should flow out of the carb when the motor is not running, even if the petcock is leaking.

If the float needle is not controlling the fuel flow correctly it will be rich and run like crap. You also need to check the oil. it is typical to find that fuel gets into the crankcase when these things happen. When you get too much fluid in the crankcase, it will run like crap, too.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #2998
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukon
My '07 has 12,000 miles and no problem with the brake pads but my clutch just went out. (After the 1st day of riding in Moab )
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #2999
Scrappy Fatale
...eh?

Oddometer: 16
Today was my first day of riding in the MSF course. I've been thinking about buying a DR200 as my first bike, so when the instructors wheeled one ('96, I think) out, I hopped right on it!
I had to use the choke after it had already been warmed up...in the Florida heat. Also, it was nearly impossible to put the bike in neutral with the engine on, but would go perfectly with the ignition off. Are these common problems with DR200s, or could it just be the fact that it's an older bike that's had a hard life?
Scrappy Fatale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #3000
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebert
The one for the TTR-125LE or the Raptor? Which is closer to stock as far as reserve goes or can be adjusted to make it close to original? I need to replace one for a friend and would like it to be the best fit and operation. And what is the final verdict on the Raptor petcock and bending/modding the gas tank? This is going on a 2005 or 2006 DR200SE.
Thanks,
DB
Davebert,

I have the Yamaha TTR125LE petcock on our DR200. I don't know about the Raptor unit, but the Yamaha unit is a direct bolt in, the outlet nipple is the same size as the original fuel hose on the DR and hooks right up. The only "mod" you have to make is to remove the vacuum line that goes from the carb to the old Suzuki petcock and place a rubber boot plug on the carb nipple. I bought a box of assorted sized plugs at Autozone for about $3.

As to the reserve, the Suzuki and Yamaha petcocks both have a dual tube pickup. (both are screened) One for the main and one for reserve. Going off of my memory, the Yamaha unit had a slightly shorter main pickup tube and the reserve tube was about the same. So you'll probably have a little more range on your main tank and a little bit less on reserve. If you are on road, the trip meter should give you all the info you need anyway. If you wanted to, you could probably rig up an extension for the main tube to keep the main tank range the same. I was way to lazy to care about it on ours.

Best of luck!
Dagofast is online now   Reply With Quote