Oddometer: 100,830
Great stuff, Bross!

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #3032
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
What is the normal sag of the stock shock?

A friend of mine got problems with his left passenger peg protector hitting the swingarm and took some metal with it. The sag measured from the rear seat top-end hight to the rear wheel axle is 7cm (2.8") when a person of 80kg / 176lbs sits on it. So, height will drop there measured from the rear axle from 59 to some 51-52cm. Looks much to me. Bike has only 16.000km/10.000miles on it.

More people have this problem? And what did they do to fix it? I was thinking about putting a aluminum spacer (0.8"/10mm) above the spring to make the shock stiffer.
[Mods done] 1 1/8" handlebar - KLR650 Shock on DR650s - ZX-10R directionals on DR650s - RMZ450 muffler on DR650s - Acerbis Mollsoft taillight - Trailtech Vapor – Twin Air - Metzeler Tourance - Tusk sealsavers - more to come
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #3033
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,357
Canadian trail riding

That ride in Canada looks fantastic! And the is the perfect bike for it.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 AM   #3034
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,357
Meant to say the dr200 is perfect for it.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #3035
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntoMX
A friend of mine got problems with his left passenger peg protector hitting the swingarm and took some metal with it. The sag measured from the rear seat top-end hight to the rear wheel axle is 7cm (2.8") when a person of 80kg / 176lbs sits on it. So, height will drop there measured from the rear axle from 59 to some 51-52cm. Looks much to me. Bike has only 16.000km/10.000miles on it.

More people have this problem? And what did they do to fix it? I was thinking about putting a aluminum spacer (0.8"/10mm) above the spring to make the shock stiffer.
I'm not sure what the sag sould be, but the service manual says the spring should be set between 236 and 225 mm.

windigo
Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #3036
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I'm not sure what the sag sould be, but the service manual says the spring should be set between 236 and 225 mm.
Thanks Klay, it's set like that, this is why I'm clueless about this. I think that the sag I'm talking about is also called static sag and 7cm drop seems a lot to me. max. load on the DR200 is 125kg/275lbs? The DR200 frame is really flexible compared to the DRZ400 and DR650.
[Mods done] 1 1/8" handlebar - KLR650 Shock on DR650s - ZX-10R directionals on DR650s - RMZ450 muffler on DR650s - Acerbis Mollsoft taillight - Trailtech Vapor – Twin Air - Metzeler Tourance - Tusk sealsavers - more to come
Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #3037
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Klay, it's set like that, this is why I'm clueless about this. I think that the sag I'm talking about is also called static sag and 7cm drop seems a lot to me. max. load on the DR200 is 125kg/275lbs? The DR200 frame is really flexible compared to the DRZ400 and DR650.

You shouldn't be able to notice any flex in the actual frame...if you can, there must be a crack or a problem somewhere.

7 cm of sag indeed sounds like too much. It's possible your spring is worn out. My rear shock does not behave like this. Did you actually measure the length of the spring to confirm it is in the correct range?

windigo
Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #3038
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:

I would look for some frame/swingarm damage if the passenger peg protector is hitting the swingarm. That is not correct. Klay is absolutely right in that there should be no flex in the frame itself. 3" of sag out of 8" of total travel when laden is not out of the ballpark, IMHO. I know mine sagged at least that much with my 230 lb on it, and it was at the stock setting.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #3039
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I guess I've never actually measured sag.

Andy, based on your continued interest in this thread, I think you will one day have a DR200 again.

windigo
Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #3040
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
A friend of mine got problems with his left passenger peg protector hitting the swingarm
Had this on a Djebel 200, seems the RH footpeg hanger had been bent inwards at some point, didn't realise until the bike was loaded and used off road, a nearby fence post and a little tweak outwards sorted it...

Karl
Attached Images

K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #3041
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
bross, nice pictures of the KVR. That's a ride I have been wanting to do. Is the trail difficult to find?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #3042
tnmike
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Horsepower

The claimed hp of these little bikes is 40 hp at 6400rpm. How is that possible? Its only a 12 cu inch engine. Does anyone know any different? Im doubtful.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...ki-DR200SE.htm
tnmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #3043
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
I did a report about my adventure in Moab. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622716
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #3044
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike
The claimed hp of these little bikes is 40 hp at 6400rpm. How is that possible? Its only a 12 cu inch engine. Does anyone know any different? Im doubtful.

Typo. It's more like ~15.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #3045
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
You shouldn't be able to notice any flex in the actual frame...if you can, there must be a crack or a problem somewhere.

7 cm of sag indeed sounds like too much. It's possible your spring is worn out. My rear shock does not behave like this. Did you actually measure the length of the spring to confirm it is in the correct range?
I lifted the rear wheel from the ground to see how much the shock would extend and it's almost nothing. The adjustment of the pre-load of the spring is still factory set so that will be adjusted to the highest pre-load setting. After a closer look, it seems that the left passenger peg had taken some abuse from some one who was sitting behind although it can't be that much off using the drivers pegs as a reference. The flex in the frame is normal, I was just saying that a DR650 has a way stiffer frame (and it should be with 430 more CCs).

The owner of that bike complained that it could be a design fault, I told him that Suzuki isn't stupid enough to not change the frame over that many years (design released on the market in 1993), but I do agree that they could have put the passenger pegs a bit more to the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
I would look for some frame/swingarm damage if the passenger peg protector is hitting the swingarm. That is not correct. Klay is absolutely right in that there should be no flex in the frame itself. 3" of sag out of 8" of total travel when laden is not out of the ballpark, IMHO. I know mine sagged at least that much with my 230 lb on it, and it was at the stock setting.
Thank you for your opinion on this, 5" left isn't much indeed. The frame and swing-arm are okay, just the passenger peg seems to be bend a little. The rear spring will be adjusted to it's max pre-load. I like the aluminum swing-arm by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K44rll
Had this on a Djebel 200, seems the RH footpeg hanger had been bent inwards at some point, didn't realise until the bike was loaded and used off road, a nearby fence post and a little tweak outwards sorted it...

Karl
Yours got damaged a bit more than my friends bike; only the beveled upper part of the swing-arm has now 1 to 1.5mm less metal there. He wanted to fill it up but I told him to leave it as it is. I put some tape over the damaged area so he can see whenever the peg hits swing-arm again. Now it's bend a little, and you bend it back, it will not have the same strength again, but I did take a log and a hammer to smash that "protector" (small plate with some holes in it) aside the peg and it looks like it moved some 4mm aside. He is using the bike with 2-up from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike

If it was a 500cc I would believe that ;). It should say 20 and some 18Nm torque (as I remember well).

puntoMX screwed with this post 09-25-2010 at 11:05 AM