Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #301
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnesS
Mine has greatly exceeded my expectations, it is definitely more than the sum of its parts.
The fun and use I've gotten out of my DR200 is unbelievable.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #302
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroot
I've ordered my jet kit, and Jesse's including instructions on the exhaust mod so that I can get a local exhaust fab to do the business. I'll let you know how I get on. If it works, I'm hoping that I won't see much difference in fuel mileage because I'll spend less time having to drop to 4th and thrash the thing to climb hills.
The kit arrived quickly, and the local exhaust fab did a decent job of modifying the muffler as per Jesse's instructions. I picked it up today.

I cut a 2 inch hole in the airbox lid and put it back together without the jet kit to take it out for a spin. A bit lumpy off the line, but it sure did sound like a gentleman's motorcycle.

Pulled the carb, spent spent way too long messing with seized screws, but eventually got everything apart and cleaned. I fitted the main and pilot jets, and the fuel screw, which I could not get in more than 14 turns, (by hand,) despite the instructions' claim that it'd go in 15 or 16 turns. It's backed out 1.25 turns.

Put it all back together, and it smelled very rich. Hard to say whether I noticed a difference on the short ride I just had, but it beat mister boi racer three out of three.

One thing I did notice was that the engine was hot, hot, hot when I parked up at home. Whether because I'd been giving it the berries or because of the mods, I don't know. Both sound plausible.

A couple of weeks of my usual commute should be long enough to see whether there are any measurable changes in performance or consumption.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #303
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
One thing I did notice was that the engine was hot, hot, hot when I parked up at home. Whether because I'd been giving it the berries or because of the mods, I don't know. Both sound plausible.

A couple of weeks of my usual commute should be long enough to see whether there are any measurable changes in performance or consumption.
Hmm, it should run richer and a little cooler with the mods. Can you keep us informed?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #304
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Ladybug0048 is planning on riding a DR200 down into Mexico next spring. I'll be following that with interest. They're calling it a DR200GS.
I'm glad you mentioned this because it was a ride that Ladybug0048 and I took to the PNW WetFest that sold her on the DR200 . She rode her 650GS and I rode Herbie (the 200) and she was so impressed that she had to have one! Herbie even got to be a model for all of her future 07's panniers and gear. I know that she's going to enjoy Baja on her 200 because great minds know that........................
Quote:
It's not made for speed, it's made for fun.
She's pretty busy riding and getting ready for Baja but, here's a couple of pics of her knew DR200 waiting to begin the Journey from Texas to Baja and then home to the PNW.

http://by128w.bay128.mail.live.com/a...A3BD118730210|
"Life's odyssey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting,"...holy shit...what a ride!"
Blessed are the flexible, for they will never be bent out of shape
The purpose of fun is to have it
Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #305
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
She's pretty busy riding and getting ready for Baja but, here's a couple of pics of her knew DR200 waiting to begin the Journey from Texas to Baja and then home to the PNW.

I've been staring at my 200 out in the garage, longing for summer.

The pics aren't working here. I'd like to see the set-up.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #306
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Quote:

The pics aren't working here. I'd like to see the set-up.
So I guess you'll be taking a trip to Texas and then on to Baja in March? Unless you plan to come to the PNW for a DR200 rally.......
"Life's odyssey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting,"...holy shit...what a ride!"
Old 02-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #307
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantrum
So I guess you'll be taking a trip to Texas and then on to Baja in March? Unless you plan to come to the PNW for a DR200 rally.......
No, I can't do either. Pictures, pretty please.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #308
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Quote:
No, I can't do either. Pictures, pretty please.
I feel for you Klay.......I'm interested in a detailed look at her Pannier rack(Happy trails) tail rack set up but, until Ladybug's standing in front of it to take her own pics I think that's the best we can get. Her/our friend Barry (Oldtimer) who lives in Texas kitted the whole bike up for the ride to Baja and took those pics.

For what it's worth, we'll be seeing a lot more of Superbug (not sure if that'll be the chosen name) when the Baja ride report is done.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #309
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Still summer here, although refreshingly cool after returning from two weeks of Thailand's "winter." Anyway, for the ride-deprived, some snaps of a recent half-day into Tararua Forest Park. Mmm, I'll need to see if I can persuade the missus to give me a day pass for next weekend. Given that she's just got her learner's license (ostensibly what I bought the DR200 for) I may have to wrestle her for the bike, rather than the time off...

miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #310
Tantrum
Condescending Nag

Quote:
Still summer here............I may have to wrestle her for the bike, rather than the time off...

WOW!

I'm green with envy.....
Old 02-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #311
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Great! Thanks for the lifeline!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #312
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
Has anybody upgraded the fork springs? I can't find anything from Race tech, Progressive, etc.
Can someone with a shop manual post the free length spec for the fork springs? I have some misc. ones around I might try to make work.
This is for my DR125, but the 200 should be identical.

Klay, you said in another thread your Kientech jetting mods got rid of the off-idle hesitation? I still need to try a bigger pilot on my 125. The way it is now it will die as soon as you open the throttle until it is fully warmed.
One weird thing I found looking at the parts fiche between the 2 bikes - the 125 has a 40 pilot and the 200 has a 35, unless I am reading something wrong???
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #313
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Has anybody upgraded the fork springs? I can't find anything from Race tech, Progressive, etc.
Can someone with a shop manual post the free length spec for the fork springs? I have some misc. ones around I might try to make work.
This is for my DR125, but the 200 should be identical.

Klay, you said in another thread your Kientech jetting mods got rid of the off-idle hesitation? I still need to try a bigger pilot on my 125. The way it is now it will die as soon as you open the throttle until it is fully warmed.
One weird thing I found looking at the parts fiche between the 2 bikes - the 125 has a 40 pilot and the 200 has a 35, unless I am reading something wrong???
When I get home tonight I can look at the manual and give you an answer on the fork springs.

I wouldn't expect the jets to be the same between the two bikes, so that sounds right. Have you tried adjusting the pilot screw yet? You might have to take the plug out that covers up the screw. I don't remember which way to turn the screw for more richness. If adjusting the screw is not enough, I would just try going up one size in the pilot screw. I have no experience in changing jets, however, other than following the instructions for the Kientech mods, and also I've cleaned a few carbs.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #314
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
Yep, I knew the jets would be different, but my point was the larger CC 200 specs a *smaller* pilot jet.
Already drilled the cap and adjusted the pilot screw, out to 2 1/2 turns. Also have one size bigger main (115 up from 112.5) and shimmed the needle up with 2 washers. I didn't do the 2" hole in the airbox though.

Just need some damn weather to check it out and play with it some more (preaching to the choir I know)
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #315
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
the larger CC 200 specs a *smaller* pilot jet.
Maybe that's because the 200 is a much newer bike and the EPA specs are much more stringent now. It was pretty awful off idle with the engine still cold, even with the enrichening circuit engaged.