Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #3421
miniroot
running in: please pass

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider200 View Post
that's stock for certain overseas models.
early posts talk about this. u'll notice the bike in pic u posted also has an oil cooler.
they are called farm bikes and trojan model in australia and new zealand.
can't buy any of the parts in the states except the oil cooler only because its used on another vehicle sold in the states, same part #.
There are a number of farm bike wreckers in NZ, some of whom will ship internationally. I think Karll got some stuff shipped for his, at least I recall him asking for some links.

But you can't just fit the Trojan front rack to a regular DR200SE. You'll need to swap out the top yoke as well, at a minimum, and probably the dash, indicators and headlight. At least, that's how it looked when I tried to fit one to mine.

If you were handy with a welder then you could probably modify the rack mount points to bolt to the regular top yoke.
miniroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #3422
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
With the link Chris helped me with i ordered the R/H side stand for my DF200....

http://www.atvcity.co.nz/Stocklist/S...00-Trojan.aspx

They were easy to deal with and shipped to England no problems

The DF200E comes with the headlight guard/Rack as standard....

Karl
K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #3423
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
<sheepishly re-enters forum>

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogoose View Post
No prob... I'm not sure if anyone else feels like doing it, but I hope it helps if others make the switch.

I bought my bike used and pretty haggered, with damage to 3 of the 4 signals so that's why I wanted to make a change. I decided to use LED mainly because it was a little different and a way to make the bike a little more mine. However, there are a lot of great options out there for short stalk signal swaps that don't use LEDs.

Thanks again to Sateev for making it easy on me by telling me what I was in for with the diodes before I got to them. I would have been one pissed off mess if I'd installed them, they didn't work, and I didn't know about the diodes!
Thanks for the mention, Mike, and sorry to all for not being around to help more. New wife; new life; bike was on the back burner.

Now, however, the wife loves to ride, and I have started tweaking (the bike) again.

More as time permits.

Good job on the signals. We be stylin'!

-S
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #3424
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
today

Today in NE Ohio the weather finally broke with some sunshine and 42 degrees. Great compared to what we've been going through. I was able to get 50 miles on my DR200. Notice the new 2" bar risers from Procycle. Big help.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #3425
Rvrhwki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Larger battery mod?

Has anyone here looked into doing a mod to install a larger battery? I know i have read posts from a few getting good battery life though i can't seem to get much more than two years out of mine where i have a Dr650 that gets ridden equally and its battery holds up great and its cheaper. Any suggestions other than a battery tender?
Rvrhwki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #3426
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,750
Do you keep a trickle charger on it during the off-season? My battery lasted ten years...my wife's hasn't stopped working yet and it might make 11 years.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #3427
Rvrhwki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
There really is not an off season since the bike is ridden weekly. I dont have electricity where i store my bikes so I was looking for options other than a battery tender.
Rvrhwki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #3428
Klay
dreaming adventurer

It should last longer with regular use like that. Did you go through the connectors?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #3429
PerroLoco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Kick-Start

Hi all -

Bought a DR200SE last fall - first motorcycle. Lots of dirt/gravel road riding near my house in Oregon I'm interetsed in checking out. Rode it a few hundred miles before winter, and it has been sitting since in a heated garage space since. A few questions for the group if anyone has thoughts:

1. Is it possible to add a kick-start as a back-up to the electric starter? It looks like there is a spot for it, but a quick search of this forum didn't turn up anyone talking about this modification (though I could definitely have missed it.) I've had some hard starts - and am getting tired of killing the battery....

2. regarding those hard starts... after sitting for the winter, I tried to start it two weeks ago. VERY hard to start. When it finally turned over, I had to stay on the throttle or it would bog down and cut out. Seemed to get over it, but when I took it out on the road, about a mile from the house it started happening again and eventually left me stranded. (had to push the bike home...) spoke with a friend who suggested the spark plug may be the problem. Took it out, and sure enough there's a ton of carbon build-up on it. Same friend said the carb jet may have been clogged or plugged, causing too rich a mixture, hence the carbon build up. My question is: if that's true, will replacing the spark plug fix the problem, or do I need to clean the carb too?

Sorry if none of the above makes sense. have never owned a motorcycle and trying to teach myself how to work on it...

Thanks!
Dan
PerroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #3430
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerroLoco View Post
2. regarding those hard starts... after sitting for the winter, I tried to start it two weeks ago. VERY hard to start. When it finally turned over, I had to stay on the throttle or it would bog down and cut out. Seemed to get over it, but when I took it out on the road, about a mile from the house it started happening again and eventually left me stranded. (had to push the bike home...) spoke with a friend who suggested the spark plug may be the problem. Took it out, and sure enough there's a ton of carbon build-up on it. Same friend said the carb jet may have been clogged or plugged, causing too rich a mixture, hence the carbon build up. My question is: if that's true, will replacing the spark plug fix the problem, or do I need to clean the carb too?
When our's had exactly that problem, we had to replace the gas and clean the carb. Everything fine afterwards.

For us, it was probably gum build up because of ethanol in the gas.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #3431
Klay
dreaming adventurer

The DR200 is fitted with a kickstarter in several overseas markets, so it's theoretically possible to retrofit parts and put a kickstarter on. It would probably be expensive and difficult to get the parts.

I'm very comfortable with push-starting the bike...put it in 3rd or 4th and run alongside of it holding the clutch in. Then hop on and pop the clutch when you hit the seat for traction. Pull the clutch back in immediately to let the rpms come up.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #3432
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerroLoco View Post
Hi all -

Bought a DR200SE last fall - first motorcycle. Lots of dirt/gravel road riding near my house in Oregon I'm interetsed in checking out. Rode it a few hundred miles before winter, and it has been sitting since in a heated garage space since. A few questions for the group if anyone has thoughts:

1. Is it possible to add a kick-start as a back-up to the electric starter? It looks like there is a spot for it, but a quick search of this forum didn't turn up anyone talking about this modification (though I could definitely have missed it.) I've had some hard starts - and am getting tired of killing the battery....

Sorry if none of the above makes sense. have never owned a motorcycle and trying to teach myself how to work on it...

Thanks!
Dan
overseas farm bikes have kick starter.
open up your idle mixture screw 1/2 turn at a time, u have to remove the brass plug first. will help with start up. My used '07 I brought in sept only 600 miles on it, had same problem. in my case the idle mixture screw was fully closed from the factory. thats most likely why it was traded in and the dealer sold it cheap $2500 out the door and it came with an aftermarket luggage rack.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #3433
PerroLoco
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
The DR200 is fitted with a kickstarter in several overseas markets, so it's theoretically possible to retrofit parts and put a kickstarter on. It would probably be expensive and difficult to get the parts.

I'm very comfortable with push-starting the bike...put it in 3rd or 4th and run alongside of it holding the clutch in. Then hop on and pop the clutch when you hit the seat for traction. Pull the clutch back in immediately to let the rpms come up.
Good to know that will work. I didn't realize I'd get enough momentum running alongside it - thought I needed a big hill. Great recommendation - Thanks!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:33 AM   #3434
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Sputtering and bogging, and so is your bike!

Mine treated me that way about a week after I bought it. After R&Rin the carb a couple of times to clean it, I finally pulled the needle and seat out, and wah-lah, the seat o-ring was harder than a week-old bagel. Replacing that o-ring fixed me right up...might want to check that, if the bike was sitting a while before you got it.

Don't give up - they are LOTS of fun when they run right.
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #3435
PerroLoco
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sateev View Post
Mine treated me that way about a week after I bought it. After R&Rin the carb a couple of times to clean it, I finally pulled the needle and seat out, and wah-lah, the seat o-ring was harder than a week-old bagel. Replacing that o-ring fixed me right up...might want to check that, if the bike was sitting a while before you got it.

Don't give up - they are LOTS of fun when they run right.
Carb is out and in pieces on my bench. has been a fun process learning how the carb works - found this site helpful (http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm). bike had the kintech mod done by previous owner. going to get some new O-rings and float bowl screws. whoever worked on this bike before me stripped the hell out of em. also took out the air cleaner, cleaned, and going to oil with no-toil. buying two spare spark plugs as well. will be interesting to see if it runs when I put it back together.

one more question for the group: does anyone use an inline fuel filter? my friend recommended it, but the ones I saw cost $30+. don't know if its necessary or worth it.