Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #3856
unstuck4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi guys,could someone please tell me how much oil to put in the front forks of a 1985 DR200.There are an awful lot of threads to go through here.
unstuck4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #3857
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstuck4x4 View Post
Hi guys,could someone please tell me how much oil to put in the front forks of a 1985 DR200.There are an awful lot of threads to go through here.
I don't know about a 1985 model, but the modern DR200 takes 309 ml in each tube.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #3858
unstuck4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Cheers klay.
unstuck4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #3859
canuck76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Introduction

Have been a member for some time and had not browsed around too much until the last few days. What a great time I have had.
My mount is a 2007 Suzuki DR200SE running a basically stock power train, just turned over 16500 miles today.
What I changed:
I designed a rear rack on which I mounted a pelican box allowing me to do short distance touring and use it as a daily commuter. I installed a windshield that I keep on during the North Carolina "winter" months to break some of the wind. I also fabricated a GPS mount for mt eTrek. For rubber, I have been running Pirelli MT 90 Scorpion A/T Enduro front and rear and like them a lot - 110/80-18 rear and 80/90-21 on the front.
I just ordered a 39 tooth rear sprocket from http://www.rebelgears.com (thanks to the links on this forum) to get a bump in fuel economy to see if I can break into the mid to high 70s consistently while maintaining average speed of 55 mph. So far I have hung around 68 - 72.
Attached Images

canuck76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #3860
canuck76
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerroLoco View Post
Can anyone describe to me how you jack-up a bike to remove the rear tire. may be a stupid question, but i'm struggling. seems to be very precariously balanced when I do it. have a small jack that alone is like balancing the bike on small cylinder. when I try and block it up, it wants to fall off my blocking with any slight bump. any suggestions or pics?

changed my front tire last weekend to a shinko 244 and going to replace the rear this weekend. only popped three (yes, that's right, three) tubes working with the tire irons but I think I now finally have the touch... a comment I will fully test this weekend when i try and not pop any more tubes on the rear. doh.
I modified a sport bike swingarm stand similar to: http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Swi.../dp/B000GT4PYC
to fit the narrower stance of the DR200SE.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #3861
acif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck76 View Post
Have been a member for some time and had not browsed around too much until the last few days. What a great time I have had.
My mount is a 2007 Suzuki DR200SE running a basically stock power train, just turned over 16500 miles today.
What I changed:
I designed a rear rack on which I mounted a pelican box allowing me to do short distance touring and use it as a daily commuter. I installed a windshield that I keep on during the North Carolina "winter" months to break some of the wind. I also fabricated a GPS mount for mt eTrek. For rubber, I have been running Pirelli MT 90 Scorpion A/T Enduro front and rear and like them a lot - 110/80-18 rear and 80/90-21 on the front.
I just ordered a 39 tooth rear sprocket from http://www.rebelgears.com (thanks to the links on this forum) to get a bump in fuel economy to see if I can break into the mid to high 70s consistently while maintaining average speed of 55 mph. So far I have hung around 68 - 72.

detailed photos of the rack and windshield?
acif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #3862
KF7GTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
^^^Cool picture, nice bike Canuck76^^^. Post up some pics of the front with the windscreen, if you can- would like to see what you have mounted up. I just topped off the gas tank on my wifes new '09 DR 200 after 112 miles (116 total on the bike) and put in 1.2 gallons- which, if my math is correct comes to 93.33 MPG!! Of course, she rides like an old lady-
Old 06-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #3863
jcetters
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider200 View Post
opening up the idle mixture screw will help so that u are not into the needle circuit going down the road. going down the road, one should only be at 1/8 throttle max 1/4 throttle, which means the bike is running mainly on the pilot jet.
I have only one tank to go by so far, but got 71mpg, this was local 50mph and under and about a total of 50 hwy miles at 60-70 mph. 70 mph required WOT. usually accelerated fairly briskly from stop lights.
I removed the metal screen inside of the oem foam airfilter and opened up the idle mixture to 3 turns out. will be trying 3 1/2 out next. OEM pilot jet can be opened up 4 1/2 turns max before having to go to next larger pilot jet.
Thanks for the tip. I adjusted the idle mix screw. It was 2 turns out, so I took it to 3 1/2 turns out. I noticed a better throttle response right away. The rain was coming, so I couldn't get to the highway to see how it ran at higher RPM. Maybe it will solve my throttle issue I have at the 65mph mark. I'll report back later. -Jason
jcetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #3864
acif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs View Post
Using mine on the roadways (dirt and surfaced) except superslab I went to 15W fork oil, a 15:42 final, and a Works rear shock.
hey steve gs, can you post pictures of the works shock of your dr200.

also, anyone remember who has installed crf150 fork springs.
acif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #3865
canuck76
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acif View Post
detailed photos of the rack and windshield?
Sure thing:

I had my brackets cut from 1/8" plate aluminum and then anodized blue. All a huge favor from a good friend!! The whole thing I was able to do without figuring bend angles on the sheet metal by keeping it flat. I did this by using a 3/8" standoff under a the front bolt, which I replaced with a slightly longer one. I notched the back side of the bracket to allow it to fit over the threaded rod of the signal lights. It has suffered a few falls but has not shown any sign of damage or bending.

The box is attached to the bracket with a piece of angle aluminum.

The windshield is mostly a cruiser-style windshield from JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com/cruiser-sty...wx?filterid=j1

I had to cut my own longer (3/8"?) steel rod to raise the windshield to help reduce buffeting. I tightened windshield bolts too tight and ended up cracking the windshield. Next time, I should read the instructions first!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #3866
canuck76
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF7GTH View Post
^^^Cool picture, nice bike Canuck76^^^. Post up some pics of the front with the windscreen, if you can- would like to see what you have mounted up. I just topped off the gas tank on my wifes new '09 DR 200 after 112 miles (116 total on the bike) and put in 1.2 gallons- which, if my math is correct comes to 93.33 MPG!! Of course, she rides like an old lady-
Thanks KF7GTH, That is incredible fuel economy! Not sure if I could get that number, I push too much air. ;) I posted some photos but they are taking a while to get posted.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #3867
canuck76
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF7GTH View Post
Here is one from the front:

Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #3868
KF7GTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck76 View Post
Thanks KF7GTH, That is incredible fuel economy! Not sure if I could get that number, I push too much air. ;) I posted some photos but they are taking a while to get posted.
Probably has a lot to do with her riding really gentile during break-in 50 mph maximum- and she is 100 pounds lighter than me

Thanks for the pictures- I want to rig up some sort of wind protection and maybe fab up some sort of crash guards for the DR too.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #3869
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Nicely done, Canuck76. I like the rack a lot.

How did you cut the side pieces so nicely? Looks like it was machined, or water jet cut. Primo.
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #3870
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136

Hi, I live in Newfoundland Canada and at 36yrs I just bought my first MC. I have owned many Atv's and I love my Artic cat trv 400, absolutly deadly bike. Well 3 weeks ago I bought a 99 dr200 because I wanted to find access to some new to me trails. The bike has some issues....needs new brake shoes,The muffler needs replaced, the gasket where the stud meets the acorn nut at the cylinder head needs to be replaced as there is a slight oil leak. Plus there is a regular bolt there instead of the acorn nut so that is also on order. I ordered a new air filter and washer too. The motor has been rebuilt by a "honda dealer" with the donor being a 2008. The bike runs smooth, though the new battery run down fairly quickly if i forget the choke or stall. Paid 1700 cash, a hard find for a descent bike in the lower price range. Unfortunely I didn't get a registration slip to licence the bike so i've tracked down previous owners and all are slow to give me the appropriate paperwork but still looks promising. If it doesn't work out i'll use it off trail and sell next year. oVERALL, the bike is very fun to ride, definitly underpowered for the highway but great on rural streets and trails. pics to come.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote