Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #3886
jcetters
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Put some fresh gas in it. I had the same issue after I bought my 1997 DR in March. Once I had some fresh gas and the carb was adjusted, she ran perfect. Keep us posted.
jcetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #3887
Johnny9finger
Johnny9finger

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
I went to start my Girlfriends DR200 today after charging the battery and was having trouble getting it to run right. Took the carb out to clean the jets and when I put it back I noticed the pool of gas in the air box, I had forgot to switch the pet cock from PRI to ON last time we ran it. I drained the air box, dried and reoiled the air filter and its running good. Except the idle is really high. When I turn the idle screw just a bit to lower it the idle lowers all the way down until it dies and I have to give it alot of gas to get it started again... To get it to stay running I just barely raise the idle screw and the idle shoots way up and stays really high again......

Any Ideas?
Two thoughts: First the needle may be stuck after having gas push past it for an undetermined amount of time you may be able to solve this by running it out of gas or Second - worst case scenero pulling the carb, breaking it down and put it back together: Note if your going to take the time to do that get the Keintach carb kit and do the install with it, its worth the 40 bucks and is the same procedure. Let us know how it works out, would love to have a solution in case I do the same thing.
Johnny9finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #3888
frdbronco8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny9finger View Post
Two thoughts: First the needle may be stuck after having gas push past it for an undetermined amount of time you may be able to solve this by running it out of gas or Second - worst case scenero pulling the carb, breaking it down and put it back together: Note if your going to take the time to do that get the Keintach carb kit and do the install with it, its worth the 40 bucks and is the same procedure. Let us know how it works out, would love to have a solution in case I do the same thing.
I ran it out of gas and then put fresh gas in it. It seems a little better but its still doing it. I have the keintech mods done and so I started playing with the fuel screw which was at 2.5 turns. Once I got it turned in all the way it seemed to start running normal. Odd since I would think this would kill it completly. Anyone ever have a problem with the choke on these letting fuel through?
frdbronco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #3889
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny9finger View Post
I also did the air box mod, with out doing that I feared I would be choking the engine and running way to rich
Correct.

The whole idea of the Kientech mod is to modify/remove the airbox lid, to get increased airflow. More air needs more gas, hence the bigger jets and richened-up needle.

With the stock airbox and lid, and the stock jets, the bike is running on the ragged edge of too lean. Opening up the airbox, without increasing the jet sizes, will put it over the edge into too-lean territory - bad for your engine.
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #3890
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
carb kit & remove lid.

got to make a screen to keep the pesky chipmunks out.
lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #3891
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
Or get a cat. We adopted a stray from a neighbour who now lives in my shop. Haven't had a mouse nest in an airbox since.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #3892
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

neighbors stray beat up our cat,now we have to pay the vet.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #3893
bross
Where we riding to?

Sorry to hear that. Must be an indoor cat though, or if you've been storing your DR indoors with the cat, the cat isn't doing his job.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #3894
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry to read that your neighbor lives in your shop. Are they house broken?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #3895
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Sorry to read that your neighbor lives in your shop. Are they house broken?
Not really but if I could teach them to change tires, I could live with it.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #3896
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,946
Quote:
dang, that's nuts.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #3897
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

semi annual tuneup done

Is this bike the best or what.
1 oil filter ,1 quart oil ,1 spark plug, put summer air it the tires and all for under 15 clams!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #3898
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,847
I've never changed the spark plug on mine. I wonder if I ought to.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #3899
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sateev View Post
Ok, so for the past couple of weeks my speedometer is slow waking up. It often won't get above 10KPH at 6AM, on our way to the park.

This is Thailand, where it NEVER gets below about 70 deg F, at least not at this time of year. But after riding it to the park, where it sits in the sun while we get our exercise, it seemed to be working fine on the way home.

So, I guessed it was some sticky oil residue in the works, or something like that. Took it home, disassembled it, found everything staked together, and pretty impossible to get apart. Clean inside, though...

So, I douched the area around the rotating magnet and shaft with our local equivalent of WD-40, got the needle moving freely (although it is plenty damped, takes a couple of seconds to settle back on the stop). After putting the whole thing together again, the first few minutes were disappointing, with the needle stuck about 15KPH. Then, after a few more minutes of riding, something miraculous occurred! I suddenly was going over 120KPH (according to the speedo), and not even out of 4th gear!

Amazing! I had discovered what all the jetting, sprocket-swapping, and fancy-muffler-installing could never do!

Then I woke up.

Of course, the WD-40-like crap was increasing the coupling between the rotating magnet and the needle armature (kind of like a torque-converter effect), and making it read high...

That was yesterday, and I figured that after the liquid dried up, a) the effect would go away, and b) leave me with a properly working speedo.

a) -right, b) -wrong. This morning, same problem as before, no indication on the speedo. And it's even worse than before, because it never really recovered. It's cloudy today, so maybe it's just not heating up enough. But I already have a phone with Google weather on it, in case I can't look up at the sky to see if it's clear. I don't need a speedo/weather indicator. I just want to know how fast I'm (not) going!

So:

a) has anybody fixed a DR200 speedo?
b) does anybody want to sell an old one?

I have seen a couple on eBay, very expensive. I may go that route, though, because I want to keep my bike as original as possible (no aftermarket, stick-on bicycle speedos).

The moral is yet to be determined, but one thing's for sure: you can impress the hell out of your passenger with just a quick spray of Zonax.
Try one of these:

http://www.trailtech.net/75-704.html
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #3900
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Is this bike the best or what.
1 oil filter ,1 quart oil ,1 spark plug, put summer air it the tires and all for under 15 clams!
Keep the spark plug, please send lobster. Why can't you train the lobsters to keep the chipmunks out of your airbox?