Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #3901
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I've never changed the spark plug on mine. I wonder if I ought to.
Your right the old plug was perfect, a $3.89 loss now taking up tool bag space!
Always enjoy your comments!
Keep up the good work.
Regards.....
lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #3902
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
Your right the old plug was perfect, a $3.89 loss now taking up tool bag space!
Always enjoy your comments!
Keep up the good work.
Regards.....
unless u know the base line resistance reading of a new plug, u cannot tell if its still good after 10k miles by looking at it. same goes for plug wires.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 AM   #3903
PerroLoco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
low MPG

Hi all -

Was out riding yesterday and needed to turn over to the reserve tank at 128 miles since my last fill. If I'm remembering correctly - the regular tank holds 2.7 and the reserve tank an additional 0.7 gallons for a total of 3.4. Have i got that right? (have a stock tank). that would give me an MPG on this last tank of 47.4 - which I feel is absurdly low given the 100mpg I've heard others talking about. I do have the Kientech mod on the carb/exhaust - not sure how much that affects MPG. am also a relatively new rider who feels compelled to go from zero to fast in as short a time as possible. Other than this - the bike is running perfectly. Would you say this falls in the normal operating range given different riding habits, or is there possibly something wrong here?

EDIT: whoops - just saw that a very similar post was started a few pages back. that gives me some good ideas. any thoughts, though, on how the Kientech mod affects MPG?

PerroLoco screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 08:57 AM
PerroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #3904
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

84mpg with carb kit/no air box lid.
strickly street commutor.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #3905
SHO_GuN
Adventurerer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
84mpg with carb kit/no air box lid.
strickly street commutor.
This is the about the same as my average on my stock '97 model.

I used to think I was getting upper 80's to low 90's until I realized how inaccurate my odometer was (it was off by a full 10%).
SHO_GuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #3906
ontargetnow
Mudslinger

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Is this bike the best or what.
1 oil filter ,1 quart oil ,1 spark plug, put summer air it the tires and all for under 15 clams!
Maybe that's my problem, mine still has spring air in her.
ontargetnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #3907
Melsea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Love this bike

Hi, this weekend I made my first road trip. 564km (350 miles) up the Sea to Sky Highway... camped in Pemberton, then took 178km (110 miles) on one of our lovely FSRs (Forest Service Roads) here in BC.

I get a constant stream of "that bike is too small" comments - those people are narrow minded can think what they like.

Sure, the bike worked very hard on the highway being chased by big SUVs, going against the wind but I made it.
When it was obvious I was going to hold up a stream of traffic, I simply pulled over and let them all pass before continuing.

The most awesome parts were:
1) the bike is MADE for our forest service roads... it practically laughed with joy
2) riding between mountains that most people don't get out and enjoy
3) learning a bigger bike would be too heavy for me to lift up (I had a small mishap oops)
4) being able to pack all my camping gear with 3 bungees
5) not sure how anyone can take the crap stock seat (I ache after about half our) so I went to a store selling gel car seats for $10... bought two- have them both in the same cover. The handle actually hooks over the nose and keeps it in place. This floppy "saddle" has extended my riding time from 30 min to 7 hours. Not bad! I'm going to get a 3rd to cut in half and be able to build up to 4 layers, depending on the length of the ride. Morning commute: don't feel a thing.

I'm new to this, but loving all of it. The current daily commute is also way more fun.
A friend of mine told me that on when you're on a bike, you're never lost if there's gas in the tank.
I second that

While I can't yet figure out how to upload mulitiple pictures to this forum (it's asking me for an URL?) you can see my pics here:
http://melliet.blogspot.com/2011/07/...ison-lake.html

Peace out,
Melliet
Attached Images

Melsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #3908
canuck76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsea View Post
Hi, this weekend I made my first road trip. 564km (350 miles) up the Sea to Sky Highway... camped in Pemberton, then took 178km (110 miles) on one of our lovely FSRs (Forest Service Roads) here in BC.

I get a constant stream of "that bike is too small" comments - those people are narrow minded can think what they like.

Sure, the bike worked very hard on the highway being chased by big SUVs, going against the wind but I made it.
When it was obvious I was going to hold up a stream of traffic, I simply pulled over and let them all pass before continuing.

The most awesome parts were:
1) the bike is MADE for our forest service roads... it practically laughed with joy
2) riding between mountains that most people don't get out and enjoy
3) learning a bigger bike would be too heavy for me to lift up (I had a small mishap oops)
4) being able to pack all my camping gear with 3 bungees
5) not sure how anyone can take the crap stock seat (I ache after about half our) so I went to a store selling gel car seats for $10... bought two- have them both in the same cover. The handle actually hooks over the nose and keeps it in place. This floppy "saddle" has extended my riding time from 30 min to 7 hours. Not bad! I'm going to get a 3rd to cut in half and be able to build up to 4 layers, depending on the length of the ride. Morning commute: don't feel a thing.

I'm new to this, but loving all of it. The current daily commute is also way more fun.
A friend of mine told me that on when you're on a bike, you're never lost if there's gas in the tank.
I second that

While I can't yet figure out how to upload mulitiple pictures to this forum (it's asking me for an URL?) you can see my pics here:
http://melliet.blogspot.com/2011/07/...ison-lake.html

Peace out,
Melliet
Good for you, don't listen to the nay-sayers...you did it...therefore it cannot be too small.
canuck76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #3909
canuck76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Just installed a fresh chain (cut down to 110 link from 112), front Suzuki 15 tooth, and a 39 tooth Rebel Gear.

So far has not help my fuel economy but - wow - what an improvement in RPM (dropped about 900 RPM) on the tarmac. I can now cruise along at 60 mph.
canuck76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #3910
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Pretty cool-looking thingy. So, when you buy yours, can I have your stock one?

Really, I just want to keep the bike as stock as possible; call me anal, or, Ishmael.
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #3911
ontargetnow
Mudslinger

Oddometer: 23
OEM shop manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
That's the one I have. It's the right one. There haven't been any major changes to the DR200 for many years...probably just jetting changes to meet EPA requirements.
I won the manual on flea bay for $26.50, delivered. (new in package). Thanks for confirming that it is the correct one. Now, I have no excuse for not properly caring for her. BTW, I recently bought a near mint 2002 with 1700 miles for $1400. During my search, I found another one (2002) with 1684 miles for $1500. Also looks to be in great shape.(near Lake Placid, NY) anybody can pm me for the phone #' if interested. Ride safe, Dave
ontargetnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #3912
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

waterproof topbox w/cargo net

Wait till they see this @ the redemption center
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #3913
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Oh so Nice Lobsta , mike
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #3914
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Oh so Nice Lobsta , mike
Yeah well it is nailed down to a "Man Rack"so....
I'm thinking a Bait Rack prototype next.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #3915
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Yeah well it is nailed down to a "Man Rack"so....
I'm thinking a Bait Rack prototype next.
I should have added some bolt downs for ya
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote