ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #4021
novos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
novos's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 196
We just finished servicing our DR200 this weekend that had a horrible top-end rattle.

Turns out the exhaust rocker arm was completely worn down (trashed, really) due to oil starvation

We also dropped a new piston and rings in, since the bike had been mis-diagnosed by a dealer as having a worn cylinder. (we had already bought the parts so we just did it anyway.)

Anyone have any issues with the rocker arms before? Maybe it's just me being paranoid but I swear I still hear faint rattling from the rockers, but it could just be how the bike sounds normally.

I'd like to at least have a little peace of mind that this won't happen again. (This little DR has had quite a life - original owner used it for DS'ing, bought by MSF course to teach students, now we have it... with 17K on the clock)
Attached Images
 
novos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #4022
samonthe
n00b
 
Joined: May 2009
Oddometer: 7
Name:  2011-07-22 16.21.45.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  166.5 KB

My 2008 DR200 8oookm on it and running great. I use to have a older model 2000 with 98000km with no problem at all. This is a bullet proof bike
samonthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #4023
The Toad
Let There Be Light
 
The Toad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location.
Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Some side to side play is normal. I just looked through my service manual and I can't find a torque spec for that sprocket nut anywhere??? You usually need an impact wrench to loosen those nuts so I'd say "Gut n' tight" would be about right. If the nut isn't loose I would just grab a wrench and try snugging it a bit but otherwise wouldn't worry about it.

Usually a good idea to replace sprockets with a new chain, otherwise a worn sprocket will wear out a brand new chain quickly. The countershaft sprocket will wear out before a chain or the rear sprocket as well and some riders will replace the counter shaft sprocket once or twice for every chain. Check for hooking or elongated or rounded valley's on the sprocket. It may not look worn but if you have a replacement, it can be surprising to lay the old one over a new one and see the wear.

Sorry I couldn't help with the torque spec.
The sprockets "look" fine.. and the chain was actually in good shape.. meaning not streched past the #2 adjuster. Only replaced due to failing O rings. I am ASSuming the O rings went due to dry-rot and age?
Strange thing is... 4 bikes with chains.. the DR is the only one that "clicks" (chain noise) when I roll it ???
It did this before and after the new chain.... not sure what the "clicking" noise is all about..

thanks again
__________________
MondoMotos - LED Auxiliary Light Kits - Tusk Panniers
RoadRUNNER Magazine - Blog
Ride Reports - Four Corners - Amish Country - Costa Rica - Expedition Michigan (or not) - Tellico Plains
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #4024
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
The sprockets "look" fine.. and the chain was actually in good shape.. meaning not streched past the #2 adjuster. Only replaced due to failing O rings. I am ASSuming the O rings went due to dry-rot and age?
Strange thing is... 4 bikes with chains.. the DR is the only one that "clicks" (chain noise) when I roll it ???
It did this before and after the new chain.... not sure what the "clicking" noise is all about..

thanks again
You don't have and oiler fitted do you? I had a clicking on my Scrambler, but only when rolled backwards, took me awhile to figure out it was the feed tube from my Scott Oiler catching on the chain. What clicks? front wheel? back wheel? get both wheels off the ground and try each one to see if you can isolate it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #4025
The Toad
Let There Be Light
 
The Toad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location.
Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
You don't have and oiler fitted do you? I had a clicking on my Scrambler, but only when rolled backwards, took me awhile to figure out it was the feed tube from my Scott Oiler catching on the chain. What clicks? front wheel? back wheel? get both wheels off the ground and try each one to see if you can isolate it.
no oiler.

most def is chain noise,,, "clicking" as it spins... is for sure coming from the chain when i roll the bike or spin the back wheel.

seems like it is coming from the fron sprocket.. im guessing that inspite of my efforts to believe the sprockets are fine that one or both are worn ... but could be something else??

i was wrong once before
__________________
MondoMotos - LED Auxiliary Light Kits - Tusk Panniers
RoadRUNNER Magazine - Blog
Ride Reports - Four Corners - Amish Country - Costa Rica - Expedition Michigan (or not) - Tellico Plains
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #4026
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 99,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
no oiler.

most def is chain noise,,, "clicking" as it spins... is for sure coming from the chain when i roll the bike or spin the back wheel.

seems like it is coming from the fron sprocket.. im guessing that inspite of my efforts to believe the sprockets are fine that one or both are worn ... but could be something else??

i was wrong once before
It's normal...don't worry about it.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #4027
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by novos View Post
We just finished servicing our DR200 this weekend that had a horrible top-end rattle.

Turns out the exhaust rocker arm was completely worn down (trashed, really) due to oil starvation

We also dropped a new piston and rings in, since the bike had been mis-diagnosed by a dealer as having a worn cylinder. (we had already bought the parts so we just did it anyway.)

Anyone have any issues with the rocker arms before? Maybe it's just me being paranoid but I swear I still hear faint rattling from the rockers, but it could just be how the bike sounds normally.

I'd like to at least have a little peace of mind that this won't happen again. (This little DR has had quite a life - original owner used it for DS'ing, bought by MSF course to teach students, now we have it... with 17K on the clock)

That looks like damages caused by oil level to low,not enough oil flowing to the top end,or not changing the filter and oil as spec'd bu Suzuki.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #4028
godwinmt
They call me Crash
 
godwinmt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Seymour, IN
Oddometer: 554
Hey gang, just wanted to introduce myself a bit here with my bike...I've had an 05 DR200 for about a year now on the farm to mess around with/learn to ride, and after getting my motorcycle endorsement, now have a nice commuter to head into work on. Here's a couple of pictures from a couple weeks ago after I detailed the bike...since then the bike has been setup more for street riding with the switch to Avon Distanzia tires and dropping the rear sprocket down to a 39T vs the 45T OE. The big thing with making it a commuter is since I live next to a highway, and in iowa, I needed the bike to happily do 65-70mph...so far the bike has been an absolute blast, and the 70-75mpg cruising at 65 on the little thumper beats the 19 of the Trailblazer!

As for tire sizes with the distanzias, front is an 80/90-21, and the rear is a 110/80-18, both fit without a problem.

Bike before cleaning (rock road riding):


scratches that were in the tank:



Tank post correction with Meguiar's M105 and LC Orange pads:



clean bike is clean!


-M
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #4029
acif
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by novos View Post
We just finished servicing our DR200 this weekend that had a horrible top-end rattle.

Turns out the exhaust rocker arm was completely worn down (trashed, really) due to oil starvation

We also dropped a new piston and rings in, since the bike had been mis-diagnosed by a dealer as having a worn cylinder. (we had already bought the parts so we just did it anyway.)

Anyone have any issues with the rocker arms before? Maybe it's just me being paranoid but I swear I still hear faint rattling from the rockers, but it could just be how the bike sounds normally.

I'd like to at least have a little peace of mind that this won't happen again. (This little DR has had quite a life - original owner used it for DS'ing, bought by MSF course to teach students, now we have it... with 17K on the clock)

a worn top end (camshaft, rockers, the "bearing like" surfaces when the camshaft sits, etc) like that are PRETTY COMMON in the following models that uses a variation of the same motor: DR200, DR125, GN125, GS125, EN125, etc.

it occurs mainly in abused bikes that are:
1) reveed up when started (i have installed an oil pressure gauge, and in my DR, at 25 celsius, the oil pressure builds up only after 4 or 5 seconds after the engine starts).
2) used without oil or with the oil level below minimun. japanese blogs encourages the verification of the oil level specially if you travel at highway speeds, or if your engine has lots of kilometers/ miles and burns oil. = KEEP AN EYE ON THE OIL LEVEL CONSTANTLY.


this particular issue are the only real problem with those motors.








acif screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 09:02 PM
acif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #4030
acif
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by samonthe View Post
żd604?

acif screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 09:14 PM
acif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #4031
acif
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
The sprockets "look" fine.. and the chain was actually in good shape.. meaning not streched past the #2 adjuster. Only replaced due to failing O rings. I am ASSuming the O rings went due to dry-rot and age?
Strange thing is... 4 bikes with chains.. the DR is the only one that "clicks" (chain noise) when I roll it ???
It did this before and after the new chain.... not sure what the "clicking" noise is all about..

thanks again
usually, the clicking noise is caused by an overtensioned chain.
under load, the swing arm tenses the chain, but if you check the tension on an unloaded bike the tension seems correct but is not.

ergo, if you adjust the chain tension on an unloaded bike, use NOT the notch you tink is right, but the adjacent to the loose side.
acif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #4032
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer
 
Birdmove's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Keaau, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,602
That engine looks nasty!! Many earlier Japanese motorcycles had replaceable bearings that the cams rode in. Too bad they don't still do that. I believe the Hyosungs use roller bearings on the camshafts. The loder KZX900/100/1100/1200 Kawasakis used split plain bearings just like a car uses for main and rod bearings. I regret this trend to running theb cams in the bear cylinder head, as I miss centerstands and kick starters (as a backup) on motorcycles.

jon
__________________
Jon in Keaau, Hi. USA
2008 SYM HD200 (wife's ride)
2009 Kymco People 150 and coming soon, another dual sport mc
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #4033
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 99,150
Change your oil often...it's only about a quart and is a good insurance policy.

My chain is nice and loose and it clicks like that...
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #4034
jcetters
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Oddometer: 29
My chain is tight to spec. It clicks from the front sprocket as well. I've never worried about it.
jcetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #4035
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Trailrider200's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Exit 10A, RT 42
Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Change your oil often...it's only about a quart and is a good insurance policy.

My chain is nice and loose and it clicks like that...
is 250 or 500 miles that good insurance? do u know something that the engineers at Suzuki don't know when they list a 3k mile oil change with their oil?
__________________
1981 CB900C, 1998 GL1500C Valkyrie
2007 DR200

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014