Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #4096
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Yes. They have no idea how much I wring the living daylights out of that thing. Plus I don't use any type of synthetic oil.

But I don't change at 250 0r 500 unless I've really been through some dust or mud. It's more usually something like 1,000 or 1,500 miles.
How does dust and mud affect your oil? Unless you leave the cap off?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #4097
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Mine squeaks too. I found out the squeak is coming from the shock....by disassembling everything else. I gave up.
Mine does too. I figure it's just talking to me so I talk back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul View Post
I see a 2002 DR200 with 6k miles, new back tire, new battery, rear cargo rack. $1300 firm. Seems like a good deal. What do you think? It is completely stock.
Does it come with the squeak the rest of ours has? If so I'd go for it.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #4098
bailey6
n00b

Oddometer: 3
dr200 ?

my wifes dr200 runs great ..but when you first start it the motor is very quite. After you ride it for aprx 10 min and the engine gets hot there is a ticking/pecking that is most notable at 40-50 mph. engine idles and runs great just has this noise. whats your ideas
bailey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #4099
tlong2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I fixed the squeak on mine. It was coming from the main hingepoint for the swingarm. To get to it you have to entirely take apart all the linkages for the swingarm then take the main swingarm axle out and there are two bushings that spraying could not get to. I thought it was my shock but it was not, it was a relief to fix that, squeaks drive me crazy.

To adjust the shock i used a vice and channel locks, it worked fine for me.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #4100
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey6 View Post
my wifes dr200 runs great ..but when you first start it the motor is very quite. After you ride it for aprx 10 min and the engine gets hot there is a ticking/pecking that is most notable at 40-50 mph. engine idles and runs great just has this noise. whats your ideas

This is what I would check.Valves need to be adjusted,oil change needed,low oil level,or possibly the chain needs to be adjusted.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #4101
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Is the dr200 cable of long distance trips say 600-1000miles?

Not necessarily the freeway but will it do country back roads?

What about on the freeway at 60mph? (with stock sprockets)
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #4102
tbolt
Bypass? What bypass?

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Yes. (Don't believe me? Follow along here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703506)

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
Maybe. Depends on how heavy a load you're asking your DR to haul.

The ADV Ride Report De-crufter -- [Firefox] [IE]
The ADV Picture Once-inator -- [Firefox]
tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #4103
black comet
Chink rider

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey6 View Post
I have similar problems.

I have a 2008 grey import, Canada. over hear in Singapore. temperature is 28-32degree celcuis average. Humidity 99%.

Initially I thought it's just the nature of suzuki engine. Also I did send in for a valve clearance. Nothing works.

A season rider take a look and commented it seems to be running lean and is pinging from pre-detonation.

I spend 1 afternoon drilling out the brass plug that is covering the air-fuel mixture screw. set it to 2 1/2 turns. (Singapore is hot and humid. USA may requires a diff setting) original was 1 1/2 I think? (could be wrong)

After that. The bike runs smoothly. no more pinging but still have the rattling sound. I recon that the valve clearance job was not done properly (no shops in Singapore is know to be able to do bike tuning properly).

Next target. gonna go tools shopping and do the valve clearance myself.

Before carb tune. Max 90+KM /h. Acceleration was super rapid. too rapid for comfort (signs of engine running lean).

After carb tune. Able to clear 110km/h with ease. Acceleration was more linear and gradual. (maybe can set af to 2 1/4 to test.)

Also, after carb tune at 2 1/2 turns. engines seems to runs cooler.
black comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #4104
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Thanks for the link! What squeak are we talking about? I noticed a squeak on mine at very slow speeds.

Do walmart still sell the seat pads?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #4105
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 514
I normally ride in Virginia in the Blue Ridge mountains and just rode in Colorado last week. Without rejetting the little DR200 I got to just under 11,000 feet before she said she would not climb anymore. I coasted back down about 500 feet and she started up again just fine. The crazy thing is that I got to salt Lake City and she would not start back up. I had to get her re-jetted then she worked better but she is still not happy. She stalls constantly on me when I am idling. I hope I didn't do damage not getting her re-jetted before riding in Colorado.

Here are a couple beautiful Colorado pictures though. Think I want to move to Breckenridge now.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #4106
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,794
I'm suspicious that there may be a separate issue with the carb. My 200 ran good at 12,000 feet last time I had it in Colorado. It's jetted so lean from the factory that it actually ran better up high.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #4107
Melsea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Long Distance Stats

Quote:

I just got my bike at the beginning of June and have put over 7000km / 4350miles on it over some city riding & 4 road trips. My road trips have ranged from 4 days to a week , with me camping in a new place each night. All my gear is loaded in 2 duffles - well, now I've added small light day pack to hold rain/warmth layers for quick access (see pic)

Trip 3 (2400km / 1491miles) had me taking the I5 down through Washington state and zig zagging all through Oregon. I averaged 390km / 242miles each day, and while on highways, usually maintained 100km / 62 miles.

It has only seen about 500km / 310miles of logging/forest roads, a small patch of off road through & up a mountin and skirted two big puddles The bike ATE IT UP and is really happy on that terrain.

My fuel consumption is crazy good. In the city, I'm getting about 300km / 186 miles / tank about $12 CAD and on highway trips it varies - the lowest was pooping out at 238km / 148miles but that included a lot of highway plus a visit to Crater Lake. OR with an altitute of 5000+ feet.

For all of the above, the bike has been AMAZING ... I have found my freedom machine & find it hard to come home.
People are very curious that I am covering so much ground on such "a little bike" but the more I talk the 650 riders (KLR, DRs etc) the more I'm hearing how heavy and hard to navigate during off road rides they are.

I've also heard some 200s are not reaching my speeds but I'm certain that has to do with how the drive train / sprocket is set up. I'm learning the maintenance and it's a fun extension of owning the bike (oil changes, chain cleaning, air filter etc).

Get our your bungee cords, keep your gear simple and ride on!
Attached Images

Melsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #4108
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
How does dust and mud affect your oil? Unless you leave the cap off?
In a dusty environment, some will work its way in. That's why service manuals define a dusty environment as "severe service" and recommend shorter intervals. I don't know about mud.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #4109
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
My girlfriend wants one of these bikes. So if any of you guys/gals are looking to upgrade your steed and wish to part with a well loved, and properly maintained DR200 PM me. It needs to be on the East Coast as close to 28403 as possible. I would prefer a stock bike with the jetting/fuel screw done, low miles, handguards and a skid are a plus.

She seems to be drawn to this bike and the low maintainance will save me headaches as well. Would be a nice bike to compliment my DRZ400.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #4110
KF7GTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Stalling:
OK, the wifes DR200 likes to stall at idle- about 1200 miles on her now. I thought when it was new it was cold blooded, but this weekend it was plenty warm out and we had gone 50+ miles and it wants to die at stoplights. Pretty F-ing annoying. Carburetors are not my specialty- but I suspect someone here can tell me what I need to do to get it right. Thanks in advance oh wise ones.