Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #4201
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,748
I had a turn signal go bad once too. I soldered the wire back to the metal part in the turn signal.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #4202
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Tank bags

Would the Icon Primer tank bag fit the dr200 tank?

Also regarding the wolfman enduro bag, is it straight forward fitting the straps to the bike?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #4203
tbolt
Bypass? What bypass?

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Would the Icon Primer tank bag fit the dr200 tank?
If you provide the dimensions of the tank bag in question, we can make guesses.

Quote:
Also regarding the wolfman enduro bag, is it straight forward fitting the straps to the bike?
Yes. Two straps (one on either side) around the frame and one strap around the front drop tube for the steering head.

The ADV Ride Report De-crufter -- [Firefox] [IE]
The ADV Picture Once-inator -- [Firefox]
tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #4204
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Dimensions: 12"X12"X6"

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...r-Tankbag.aspx

Is the wolfman enduro easy to fit?
Old 09-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #4205
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,807
I use a Cargo brand mini tank bag on my bike. Cargo brand is no longer but I think this brand took over and this one is the same size: http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5004&L2=27&L3=402&L4=403&item=BLT_BLLG3-BG

It shows
Dimensions: 8" L x 5.5" W x 4.5" H
Expands to: 8" L x 5.5" W x 7" H
I think a bag 12" X 12" would be too big.

This how 8" X 5.5" bag looks on my bike.

I originally bought the tank bag for a ride to Baja. I wanted a magnetic bag that would stay on the bike without straps and I could easily grab it off the bike to take it with me when we stopped and throw it back on quickly without messing with straps/buckles. It worked perfect and I'm still using it. The Bilt tank bag (link above) is very close to identical.

Riding on rough dirt it will slip a bit once in a while but not too bad and is easy to reposition without needing to stop. It hasn't slipped often enough to even consider changing to straps. I still like the ease of taking it with me when I stop if I want.

I have used it expanded a few times but in the unexpanded position it has enough room for the things I want to keep close: billfold, phone, passport, chapstick, sunscreen, flashlight, tire pressure gauge, and a few other small odds and ends.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #4206
tbolt
Bypass? What bypass?

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Is the wolfman enduro easy to fit?
As I said previously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt View Post
Yes. Two straps (one on either side) around the frame and one strap around the front drop tube for the steering head.

The ADV Ride Report De-crufter -- [Firefox] [IE]
The ADV Picture Once-inator -- [Firefox]
tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #4207
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Clutch lever

My replacement clutch lever arrived from ebay. I unbolted the 10mm bolt, removed the old clutch lever and hooked the clutch cable onto the new lever. I then slid the new lever into the mounting bracket and tried to slide the 10mm bolt back through, it will not slide through. When the lever is fully inside the mounting bracket the holes do not line up. When I fully pull the clever back to engage the clutch the holes line up and I can insert the 10mm bolt. Once I then let go of the clutch the lever does not go back in the mounting bracket all the way. There is a 2 or 3 mm gap between the lever and the bracket.

I'm new to motorcycles and the only problem I can assume is that the new clutch lever is a cheapo chinese pattern part and not an exact fit.

Any advice is appreciated.

Also what type of grease is used on the lever where it pivots.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #4208
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 593
Have you tried loosening the clutch cable first, installing the lever when the cable is loose, then tightening the cable back up?

I don't see a reason why a white lithium grease wouldn't be just what the doc ordered for that joint though when you get it together.

-M
godwinmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #4209
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

No have tried installing the lever without the cable attached and it still will not go flush against the bracket/assembly, even when pushing the lever against the bracket/assembly. The only way it will go flush is when I take the stock bolt out of the hole.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #4210
godwinmt
They call me Crash

The only other thing I can think of is if the safety switch is somehow interfering with it. Do you have any pictures at all of how it isn't fitting in?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #4211
motocikl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I'm thinking of removing the evap canister on my California model DR200. I don't expect any performance gain but I just dislike how it looks, sometimes my leg will hit it while riding and it gets in the way of the choke.

Are there any potential downsides to this?

Are there any good instructions? The best I've found was this: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-545319.html

Do those instructions look good to you? How do you cap the port on the carb? What "coupler" is he talking about?
motocikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #4212
SquirrelyGrl
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 888

That's sooooo coool!!!! I love your gear here, I really like that tank bag too. I have a Wolfman and it feels a bit too close for comfort. Your lil magnetic one seems ideal to me. Thanks for the extra link to the new company one.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #4213
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Swapped out the OE massive fender for an Acerbis Universal Supermoto. The color is slightly off, but it looks a ton better:
Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #4214
motocikl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Swapped out the OE massive fender for an Acerbis Universal Supermoto. The color is slightly off, but it looks a ton better:
Looks good. How much did this cost? Was it a simple bolt-on install or did you have to drill any holes? Let us know if you see any improvement at higher speeds.

How are you liking your Distanzias?
motocikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #4215
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Installation is very straight forward, but does require holes to be drilled (I used my dremel). The fender comes with a little sheet of essentially really fine graph paper with 1mm grid labelled. You look in the destructions that come with it and pick the bike you're putting the fender on and mark the appropriate points on the sheet. Then you peel the back of the paper off and stick it on the top of the fender lining it up with the markings they provide. Then its just a matter of drilling the 4 holes in the fender and peeling the template off and installing it. The fender was $23.99 at motorcycle superstore.

I had it up to about 60-65 commuting tonight and my butt dyno really doesn't know what to look for. Front end wobbled a bit less, but thats about it. I did it purely for esthetics and the fact that the OE fender flopped around like a dick in a bucket.

The distanzias are epic and a half for street riding. Super grippy and really like to lean. I've still got about .25" of chicken stripes on mine but I haven't come close to their limit. Braking is definitely there, but off road particularly when wet really isn't their cup of tea. Hard packed trails/gravel roads they'd be fantastic on, but they just load up too quickly with mud to be much use.