User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 05:22 AM   #4591
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
RE Ladybug

[QUOTE=Ladybug0048;17385787]This should be interesting and we'll see what happens.

... but it really doesn't have enough juice to run the electrics without running down the battery so I did this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535533 ...

Hello,

I followed the thread and you say that 'Luke worked his magic' but you never say what the magic is. May be in another thread somewhere, but as someone who would like to add an electric jacket or GPS, can you tell me what he did to increase the juice? I'd also like to know how someone adds pigtails to the battery. I can't even seem to fit a battery tender pigtail to the posts and get the battery back into it's teeny tiny space. Cheers!
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #4592
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
[QUOTE=dalehazelton;17434297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
This should be interesting and we'll see what happens.

... but it really doesn't have enough juice to run the electrics without running down the battery so I did this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535533 ...

Hello,

I followed the thread and you say that 'Luke worked his magic' but you never say what the magic is. May be in another thread somewhere, but as someone who would like to add an electric jacket or GPS, can you tell me what he did to increase the juice? I'd also like to know how someone adds pigtails to the battery. I can't even seem to fit a battery tender pigtail to the posts and get the battery back into it's teeny tiny space. Cheers!
page 2 of the link has a response from LUKE.
the stator has to be rewound, maybe a new regulator also.
lots of links out there about stator rewinds including if u want to do it your self.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #4593
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,908
Thanks everyone for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
DR200 KICK START <------Clicky Linky.
Looks like there is a number of posts on thumper talk. I'll weed through them and see what I can figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highaltidude View Post
I do not believe your bike is functioning correctly.

You can spend money playing with a kick start. Or spend money fixing the problem and then you don't need a kick start.

Best thing would be to swap in known good parts and see what makes your bike act differently......
Battery? Starter? Wiring not sending full load to the starter?

Chuck
I bought the bike new and it's been that way from the start. My guess if it's anything it would be a weak battery from the begining as Klay said althought the thing that baffles me is why the battery is still working since I bought the bike early in 2008. Maybe there is something else weak in the electrics and I will certainly have that checked. Thanks for the tips.

Even if I find why I'm having a problem starting it cold I'd still like a kick starter because of the places I go alone. I'd feel safer knowing I have a backup since I can't physically push start it. Just one of many little quirks I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocikl View Post
ladybug, regarding cold starts, I've found that holding the throttle open does NOT help. For about a month or so last winter I was constantly wondering what was wrong with the bike, never wanting to start. I assumed that holding the throttle open, as the owners manual says, would help. Then one day, I tried just hitting the yellow button without touching the throttle. Started perfectly. From then on, I've never touched the throttle when starting and the bike always starts right up.

Of course, I do apply the choke. Once it's started I let it sit for a minute or so. If I'm in a hurry I'll get going and get off the choke in a mile or so.

I have the Kientech jet kit and exhaust mod, by the way.
Hmmmm interesting. I use the choke and I don't hold the throttle open when I start it but I do give it a little bit just at the start. It sounds like if I leave the throttle alone it would be happier.

[QUOTE=dalehazelton;17434297]
Quote:
This should be interesting and we'll see what happens.

Hello,

I see you were pointed to page two with the info. If you have more questions shoot Luke a PM I'm sure he'll answer them.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #4594
SHO_GuN
Adventurerer

Oddometer: 44
Please be sure to let us know if you are successful in finding out how to install a kick start.

I researched the subject when I bought my bike to include going to the dealer about it, and I researched it again last week after you asked about it.

There are lots of posts to be found talking about adding a kick starter, but so far I have found exactly ZERO instances where someone has actually done it.
SHO_GuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #4595
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,294
It is an expensive add-on, wonder why it is so much?

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #4596
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,710
The DRZ125 has a lot in common with the DR200.I think those that have done the kicker have robbed parts and engine cover from a DRZ125.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #4597
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO_GuN View Post
Please be sure to let us know if you are successful in finding out how to install a kick start.

I researched the subject when I bought my bike to include going to the dealer about it, and I researched it again last week after you asked about it.

There are lots of posts to be found talking about adding a kick starter, but so far I have found exactly ZERO instances where someone has actually done it.

That's what I have been finding too but I keep trying. Seems like a lot of people that want them. If I ever do get it figured out I will sure post about it here.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #4598
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,478
Quote:
That's what I have been finding too but I keep trying. Seems like a lot of people that want them. If I ever do get it figured out I will sure post about it here.
I would just dive into, say, the New Zealand regional forum and ask someone if they can order up the parts and ship them to you. I'm sure they'll just bolt on.

http://www.suzuki.co.nz/Motorcycle/Farm/DR200SE+Trojan/
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #4599
dalehazelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
RE Luke and the stator

Ah, thanks. I may consider a rewind.

Cheers!
Dale
dalehazelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #4600
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 471
I thought this was pretty cool, a Djebel in the dead zone.

http://englishrussia.com/2011/11/15/...ke/#more-76968
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #4601
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
I thought this was pretty cool, a Djebel in the dead zone.

http://englishrussia.com/2011/11/15/...ke/#more-76968

Awesome! That deserves its own thread.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #4602
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,294
Great site.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #4603
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 471
Thanks. Is the cig lighter socket a standard feature on the djebel? I thought it's not a wise to have accesories drawing power from a mototcycle that has no alternator?

While i'm on here can somone refresh my memory, what are the pvc tubes called that attach onto the skid plate? I want to make one tomorrow? Every time an oil change is required do you have to remove the skid plate or is there an access hole?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #4604
Buffalo Bill
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 995
Picking a Cherry!!

I found this rig in the basement of the original owner..It hadn't been ridden for years, but with only 2,100 miles on the clock it didn't take much to get her back on the Trail..
I was looking for a lightweight bike that I could ride with my wife who sports a tw..This one contiunes to fit the bill and surprise me.

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #4605
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Great find!