Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #4651
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Does anyone know if TKC 80 tires will fit the dr200? I did a search for the stock trail wing tires and can't seem to find them available on the tkc 80.
I have a TKC80 on the back of my '07 DR200 - It's works great.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #4652
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
Are you running stock wheels? Please can you check what tire profile they are? How many miles have they lasted and do you have any pics of those bad boys?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #4653
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,396
Yes, I am running stock wheels and I'm pretty useless for information right now. My bike is in Boise so I'm not able check the profile of the tire. When I got the tire I called Motorcycle Supersport and ask them for assistance with getting a back tire that fit. The TKC80 was what they suggested even though prior seaches indicated that tire wasn't available for the DR200. The customer service person I talked to knew what she was talking about because it does fit. I would suggest giving them a call: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Sorry I'm not more help other then telling you it does fit.

Here's a picture of it and I don't know how many miles I have on it.

Name:  TKC80.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  131.8 KB
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #4654
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Gadgets, gadgets, gadets! I want that rear rack but $180 is pricey. I'll check out that tire thanks.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #4655
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Can anyone provide some feedback on what the dr200 is like to ride with a passenger? I'd like to get my wife on the back, I weight 210lbs, my wife weighs 125lbs. I'd like to go on weekend rides on back country roads. I'm just a bit concerned the engine may be a bit small for a combined weight of 335lbs.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #4656
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Can anyone provide some feedback on what the dr200 is like to ride with a passenger? I'd like to get my wife on the back, I weight 210lbs, my wife weighs 125lbs. I'd like to go on weekend rides on back country roads. I'm just a bit concerned the engine may be a bit small for a combined weight of 335lbs.
It is a bit cramped for two, but as long as you don't need to exceed 50 mph or so, the engine is no problem.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #4657
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Cool i'll give it a whirl once I get her all the gear for xmas. What dual sport bikes do you think are suited for 2 riders?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #4658
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
It is a bit cramped for two, but as long as you don't need to exceed 50 mph or so, the engine is no problem.
Like riding a fat chick.

Still fun, but don't let your friends catch ya
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #4659
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Like riding a fat chick.

Still fun, but don't let your friends catch ya
That is awesome!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #4660
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:
Cool i'll give it a whirl once I get her all the gear for xmas. What dual sport bikes do you think are suited for 2 riders?
BMW F650GS or maybe a DR650.Always a Gold Wing.LOL J/K
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #4661
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Just like everything else in our bikes, there's always a compromise. For 2 up comfort you need a bigger bike; for room, for power on the highway etc. But a bigger bike is a handful off road. Even a DR650 is going to be cramped 2 up, although it's been done.

Best 2 up bike would be one of the big trailies: BMW 1200GS, KTM 990, Tiger 1050, the new Tiger 1200 Explorer, but all of those are limited off road to YOUR riding skills. We were on a dual sport ride this fall with a couple 2 up on a KTM 990 and he rode that thing better than I rode my DR650 through some pretty muddy tracks. I'm an OK rider but he was obviously a way better rider and made those trails look easy, even with his wife on the back.

Next would be the 800s; BMW GS or Tiger. But there's nothing wrong with going for a ride/trip on your 200 and see how you both do. There's an old saying "The best bike for your adventure is the one in your garage!" Better to go try it then keep waiting for the perfect bike to come along, it doesn't exist. Good luck, have fun, and post pics.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #4662
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Just like everything else in our bikes, there's always a compromise. For 2 up comfort you need a bigger bike; for room, for power on the highway etc. But a bigger bike is a handful off road. Even a DR650 is going to be cramped 2 up, although it's been done.

Best 2 up bike would be one of the big trailies: BMW 1200GS, KTM 990, Tiger 1050, the new Tiger 1200 Explorer, but all of those are limited off road to YOUR riding skills. We were on a dual sport ride this fall with a couple 2 up on a KTM 990 and he rode that thing better than I rode my DR650 through some pretty muddy tracks. I'm an OK rider but he was obviously a way better rider and made those trails look easy, even with his wife on the back.

Next would be the 800s; BMW GS or Tiger. But there's nothing wrong with going for a ride/trip on your 200 and see how you both do. There's an old saying "The best bike for your adventure is the one in your garage!" Better to go try it then keep waiting for the perfect bike to come along, it doesn't exist. Good luck, have fun, and post pics.
The DR650 gets my vote as a 2-up dual sport. There are other bikes such as the GS, KLR, and Tiger, etc., but IMHO those are not as easy to handle off road due to the weight and size difference.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Old 12-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #4663
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
The DR650 gets my vote as a 2-up dual sport. There are other bikes such as the GS, KLR, and Tiger, etc., but IMHO those are not as easy to handle off road due to the weight and size difference.
I would have to say it's the starting point and go bigger from there.

You guys don't run more than 60 on the big island, but here where traffic steadily runs at 75-80 with 20/30 mph winds a DR of any sort just doesn't cut it.

I'm not skinny, but not a big guy and with a skinny chick on the back my 640adv was too cramped for more than around the block a few times. Hell the 950 gets a little cramped on looong stretches of highway. However, i come from a dirt bike racing background and you're not gonna repeatedly jump a GS or Tiger like the 950.

My DR is for the wife, pops, and teaching new riders. Occasionally it gets ridden to the store, but the 525 usually gets duty for anything that can go in a backpack "errands". It just wheelies so much better than the DR.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #4664
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
I would have to say it's the starting point and go bigger from there.

You guys don't run more than 60 on the big island, but here where traffic steadily runs at 75-80 with 20/30 mph winds a DR of any sort just doesn't cut it.

I'm not skinny, but not a big guy and with a skinny chick on the back my 640adv was too cramped for more than around the block a few times. Hell the 950 gets a little cramped on looong stretches of highway. However, i come from a dirt bike racing background and you're not gonna repeatedly jump a GS or Tiger like the 950.

My DR is for the wife, pops, and teaching new riders. Occasionally it gets ridden to the store, but the 525 usually gets duty for anything that can go in a backpack "errands". It just wheelies so much better than the DR.
I agree for the most part, but for 2-up offroading, anything heavier than a DR650 is a bit much unless you are talking about smooth dirt and gravel type stuff.

Two up on anything "Dual-Sport" is gonna get cramped pretty quick. I have never been skinny either, and in my old age I seem to be porking up nicely. So is the GF, as you saw when you were here. We have been in some pretty rough stuff on the 650, but she refused to ride on the 200 more than once. She was felt real cramped, and commented that we sure must have looked silly on that poor little 200.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #4665
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,015
A moto mule will get the gear off the back of the bike.
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote