ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #4816
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 96,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico591 View Post
Riding from Oruro to Llallagua, most of it above 13000 ft.

Adventure!

Highaltitude, back in 2001 I rode my DR200 around parts of the Rockies at 12-14,000 feet without any ill effect with the stock jets in the carb. No problems.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #4817
Highaltidude
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Adventure!

Highaltitude, back in 2001 I rode my DR200 around parts of the Rockies at 12-14,000 feet without any ill effect with the stock jets in the carb. No problems.
Klay, I assumed normal "Colorado" geography..... The roads climb pretty high here, but you don't spend much time up that high (the road up to the top of Pikes Peak being a perfect example). I was thinking this guy might be up at 13,000ft for a while...... I've had mine "sustained" at 10,000ft w no probs. Just looking for input on higher......

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #4818
DR BrianO
Adventurer
 
DR BrianO's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky
Oddometer: 41
Question Mounting Tool Tube

Has anyone mounted one on a stock DR? I have a few ideas in my head just need to go get some parts. I spent about an hour last night just thinking of different options. If you are unfamiliar with these, you can purchase them here. At $5 it is hard to make anything this nice. http://www.agrisupply.com/operator-m...ister/p/67670/

__________________
1999 Suzuki DR 200se
DR BrianO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #4819
poppawheelie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
poppawheelie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 368
tie down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highaltidude View Post
Yep, overkill. That's me......
I tie my bikes down such that failure of any single strap will not cause any problems with the bike.....
Been trailering for a lot of years and have never lost or damaged anything. And I have had single straps fail (both break or just come loose).
I have two green straps on the rear. One for each bike. They pull directly backwards and not towards the center. BTDT.

Chuck
My rule for tieing down bikes on a trailer is the same as tieing luggage to the bike on a trip, two separate systems, so if either fails, the load will not be lost. For trailering, two straps up front off the triple trees or handle bars if necessary, compressing the front suspension; two straps on the rear, compressing the rear suspension. Either pair will hold the bike upright. For luggage on the bike for road or off road, two rock straps in X pattern and two rock straps or bungies in parallel on the far ends. In 48 years of riding I've watched valuable cameras and other items fall off bikes and bounce down the road. The camera bounced over my head. I've never lost an item and don't intend to.
__________________
"To me the trail is calling! The old trail - the trail that is always new." Matthew Alexander Henson

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #4820
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR BrianO View Post
Has anyone mounted one on a stock DR? I have a few ideas in my head just need to go get some parts. I spent about an hour last night just thinking of different options. If you are unfamiliar with these, you can purchase them here. At $5 it is hard to make anything this nice. http://www.agrisupply.com/operator-m...ister/p/67670/

two of those or two of these would store nearly all my break down tools.

These have a neoprene seal.http://www.agrisupply.com/MANUAL+CAN...+SEAL/p/70111/
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #4821
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider
 
thesurvivalist's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 471
When i get the skid plate I will mount one of those tubes.
__________________
The way that you wander is the way that you choose.
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder where the fair wind blows.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #4822
Jerico591
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: LP, Bolivia
Oddometer: 7
High Altitude DR riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highaltidude View Post
Klay, I assumed normal "Colorado" geography..... The roads climb pretty high here, but you don't spend much time up that high (the road up to the top of Pikes Peak being a perfect example). I was thinking this guy might be up at 13,000ft for a while...... I've had mine "sustained" at 10,000ft w no probs. Just looking for input on higher......

Chuck


Hi there Chuck and Klay. It was my first above 12000 continious long ride so I did think about it, but, nope, I decided to try everything as it was, in part so I could later compare the “before” and “after”. I started out of La Paz, to Oruro and then unto the smaller mining towns. There was a noticeable decrease in throttle response making it a little harder to pass larger vehicles up in the mountain passes (aprox. 14000 feet) but it wasn’t a big issue since there wasn’t much traffic anyway. (Also, I weigh around 185 pounds and was carrying an additional 25-30 pounds). So, yeah, I'd fully agree with your findings and am keeping the stock jets as they are.


J.
Jerico591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #4823
Highaltidude
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico591 View Post
Hi there Chuck and Klay. It was my first above 12000 continious long ride so I did think about it, but, nope, I decided to try everything as it was, in part so I could later compare the “before” and “after”. I started out of La Paz, to Oruro and then unto the smaller mining towns. There was a noticeable decrease in throttle response making it a little harder to pass larger vehicles up in the mountain passes (aprox. 14000 feet) but it wasn’t a big issue since there wasn’t much traffic anyway. (Also, I weigh around 185 pounds and was carrying an additional 25-30 pounds). So, yeah, I'd fully agree with your findings and am keeping the stock jets as they are.
J.
Good deal. My plugs are a bit dark with sea level jets and constant operation at 7,000ft. I'll leave the jets alone based on your feedback. Note that I have had to swap to a "hotter" plug this winter. As these bikes are recent purchases, we haven't had them out over too big of range of elevations. That'll change come spring.....

Have a fantastic trip!!!!!!

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #4824
FlownOver
Old and slow man
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Southwest Montana
Oddometer: 5
Stealth Bike

I'm solicting suggestions for making my DR200 as quiet as possible. I know it already is quiet in stock form, but I use the bike to get close to critters for purposes of photography, so I don't want to spook the wary ones. For example, I was able to get to within 20 feet of a pronghorn just before the snow closed things down here. From what I can tell, the major sources of noise is exhaust, intake and squeaks from moving parts. While a water cooled engine might be quieter, I think I'll let Suzuki do that. Anyone else working on the sound of silence?
__________________
When making a decision based on gut feeling consider the end product.
FlownOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #4825
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 96,450
You could set your valves on the tight side.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #4826
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlownOver View Post
I'm solicting suggestions for making my DR200 as quiet as possible. I know it already is quiet in stock form, but I use the bike to get close to critters for purposes of photography, so I don't want to spook the wary ones. For example, I was able to get to within 20 feet of a pronghorn just before the snow closed things down here. From what I can tell, the major sources of noise is exhaust, intake and squeaks from moving parts. While a water cooled engine might be quieter, I think I'll let Suzuki do that. Anyone else working on the sound of silence?
You could try running a stock muffler from a larger bike or try adding a smaller muffler before the stock muffler.Don't know what would fit.That's all the off the wall idears I got.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #4827
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister
 
Ladybug0048's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
Oddometer: 9,896
Tool tube:

My tool tube is the standard black pipe seen on most KLRs. I didn't want it down in front of the skid plate so I have it on the left side. It's a bit gawdly looking but it works well and is out of the line of fire when running rough roads.

In it I keep my rolled up benchmark atlas and inside the roll is my tire irons. I wanted my benchmark somewhere it would be easy to get to and yet stay dry.



If it was a little shorter and mounted at the right height is can look balance from the back view with the muffler on the other side.

The guy on my bike is Sasquatch from http://www.sasquatchrider.com/products.html . He did a seminar at last summer's Hells Canyon gathering and used my bike for the demo because he could easily throw it around.

We decided my bike would spend some quality time with him this winter so he could dial in the suspension for me. Since there isn't much in the way of aftermarket things for DR200s he will be fabricating some of what is needed to do what he wants to do. I'm excited to see what the outcome is. I enjoy this bike so much and if he can make it ever better I'm all for it. I did have to throw another challenge in there for him. I want better suspension but the bike can't get any taller not even a fraction of an inch. He took on the challenge.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #4828
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,284
light guard

Had this light guard on my DR650 and thought I'd see if it would line up with the DR200.
Perfect. (no affiliation)

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=565

$43.95

__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #4829
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 2,706
How does it affect light output?
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #4830
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,284
Not sure, I never ride this bike at night. It is my trail bike.
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014