Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #4951
acif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by expillionrider View Post
Got the cotter pin out, loosened the axle nut, and TRIED to rotate the thingamajigs that supposedly will move the axle back to take up excess slack in the chain...

What, if any, tools should I need? First I tried just my fingers (no go). Then I tried holding a little piece of wood against the edge and tapping it with a hammer (no go). It's easy to rotate it the wrong way (though the axle doesn't move; the adjuster just stops touching the little allen-keyed stop). Seems like the axle is stuck or binding somehow?

The bike is new to me but it's been around a while - it's a 1998.

did you slacken the torque link nut?

torque link = metal rod that holds in place the rear brake cover.
acif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #4952
expillionrider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks, everyone!

Thanks to godwinmt, SHO_GuN, and acif - I benefited from all of your suggestions!

I loosened the torque link as my first step - funny the owner's manual doesn't mention that but it makes sense.

Then the screwdriver in the (narrowest) slot worked for the first click, but I didn't have that big a screwdriver and I'm not very strong, so in the end I resorted to whacking (all over the place) to get the adjusters to click over the one more notch I needed.

First, I whacked the end of the axle on the left side so things would loosen up and stop binding on the right side. Then I whacked on the front side of the axle nut and axle bolt head to encourage the axle to move back (not sure how much that actually did, to be honest). Then I whacked on the part of the adjusters that seems designed for whacking, and that got them to move the final notch on each side that I needed. All whacking was with a hammer on the end of a short piece of 2x2 (wood), so hopefully I didn't hurt anything.
expillionrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #4953
drtaco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
barkbuster handguards

installed barkbusters storm hand guards. i really like them big and stout and they are all black. the only trick was that i could not use the bar inserts. I found out that my handle bar has long plug welded in so i drilled and tapped to 5/16 used a stainless counter sunk allen socket screw worked great, i'll keep eye out for stainless/alum corrosion.
drtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #4954
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 529
Rear light

As I was getting on my dr200 tonight I noticed my rear light was out, brake light will come on but there is no night light. I rode 5 miles,turned off the bike and back on and the rear night light came back on. Is it a bulb on its way out or a wiring issue?

What type of bulb is needed? Thanks in advance.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #4955
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
As I was getting on my dr200 tonight I noticed my rear light was out, brake light will come on but there is no night light. I rode 5 miles,turned off the bike and back on and the rear night light came back on. Is it a bulb on its way out or a wiring issue?

Sounds like the contacts on the bulb are dirty. Just clean them. That's a standard automotive two-element bulb. The number should be on the bulb...probably something like a GE 1138 or equivalent close to that.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #4956
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post

I had the same thing happen to mine last fall and it turned out to be a frayed wire where it connects behind the reflector. I now have two spare bulbs sitting in my garage.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #4957
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I had a frayed turn signal wire once.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #4958
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Doggin' Out...

Hey Guys...

Well, I had the bike out for a short 50 miler the other day (street ride) and as I was headed up a long hill, about 1 mile long, I couldn't keep up speed (around 50mph).

I'm about 160 lbs and don't think this should be too much of a problem for this bike and it isn't too steep of a grade. I had to keep switching between 4th and 5th gear just to stay between 45 and 50 mph.

Soooo...dirty carb? Oil change? Bad Gas? I have no idea. I'm trying to educate myself more so that's why I've been lurking around this kick-ass forum for so long!! You guys are a wealth of knowledge!!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

psu75 screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 04:55 AM Reason: because I tend to forget shit
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #4959
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,322
I always have to downshift the DR200 on a hill. Just the nature of a small engine. Even the DR650 does the same on most hills and it has twice the horsepower.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #4960
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
I always have to downshift the DR200 on a hill. Just the nature of a small engine. Even the DR650 does the same on most hills and it has twice the horsepower.
Yeah, but this is getting worse... It didn't used to be this bad...
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #4961
knowlsey
n00b

Oddometer: 4
howdoo

I have just bought my second DR200 Djebel, now the first one I could quite easily get 72mph from it, that was about 4 years ago, however I bought another about a year ago and have fitted the jetting kit that was ordered from keintech I think the name of the kit was called, adapted the end pipe (muffler to friends over the pond) and drilled the top of the airbox, after a bit of setting up etc, I managed to get the bike running fairly smoothly, plug looks fine, mixture seems about right, Recently fitted a TS100 rear wheel to it, as just could not source a cheap enough rear wheel locally, the breakers are off there heads with prices, but got the TS wheel for 20 about $13

Anyhoo, I can only squeeze 63mph out of it, I know these are not pocket rockets, but I know from previously owning one that It will do atleast 70mph, I did not check what sprockets were on the previous DR, but the sprocket setup thats on the one I have now is 15 tooth front and 45 tooth rear, was thinking of taking the rear down to about 43, any one had good results with that setup?

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

but now has a TS100 rear wheel, and rejet
knowlsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #4962
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
Hey Guys...

Well, I had the bike out for a short 50 miler the other day (street ride) and as I was headed up a long hill, about 1 mile long, I couldn't keep up speed (around 50mph).

I'm about 160 lbs and don't think this should be too much of a problem for this bike and it isn't too steep of a grade. I had to keep switching between 4th and 5th gear just to stay between 45 and 50 mph.

Soooo...dirty carb? Oil change? Bad Gas? I have no idea. I'm trying to educate myself more so that's why I've been lurking around this kick-ass forum for so long!! You guys are a wealth of knowledge!!

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Have you checked the air filter? It could be a dirty carb, but that should manifest itself through rough running, and not just a lack of power.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #4963
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlsey View Post
Anyhoo, I can only squeeze 63mph out of it, I know these are not pocket rockets, but I know from previously owning one that It will do atleast 70mph, I did not check what sprockets were on the previous DR, but the sprocket setup thats on the one I have now is 15 tooth front and 45 tooth rear, was thinking of taking the rear down to about 43, any one had good results with that setup?
I like the round headlights on the Djebel. Not sure what's holding your bike back, though. I did the Kientech mods on my 200 and it still tops out at 72 mph. I tried changing sprockets once to bring highway rpms down once, but decided that the bike felt too bogged down and returned to the stock 15/45 sprockets.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #4964
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,322
I returned to the stock sprockets also as it gives the bike alot more zip.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #4965
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Anybody find a blue paint that matches the frame well ?
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote