Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #4996
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,667
Yes, those are the original tires and they are tube-type.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #4997
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
My first wrench session

So I changed my oil today! Thanks to all your advice! Woo hoo! It runs so much snappier!!
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #4998
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
When I had my rear tire changed I asked the shop to tighten my rear brakes as when I attempted to tighten the adjusting nut it didn't make any difference. I've noticed the last few rides when I press the rear brake while the bike is moving, there is a single knock/click sound sometimes. I'd say it happens 1 in 10 times when I press the brake but it never does it when I'm stationary. I've visually examined the rear brake mechanism and it looks ok.

I'm not sure when the shop tightened the brake if they did via the bottom adjustment nut or if they did undid the nut where the brake arm links to the rear wheel and refitted the arm on a different spline. I hope that makes some kind of sense.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #4999
SHO_GuN
Adventurerer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
When I had my rear tire changed I asked the shop to tighten my rear brakes as when I attempted to tighten the adjusting nut it didn't make any difference. I've noticed the last few rides when I press the rear brake while the bike is moving, there is a single knock/click sound sometimes. I'd say it happens 1 in 10 times when I press the brake but it never does it when I'm stationary. I've visually examined the rear brake mechanism and it looks ok.

I'm not sure when the shop tightened the brake if they did via the bottom adjustment nut or if they did undid the nut where the brake arm links to the rear wheel and refitted the arm on a different spline. I hope that makes some kind of sense.
Check THIS POST out.

The symptoms are a little different, but I think your symptoms can be caused by the same problem.
SHO_GuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #5000
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:

When they take the wheel off to change the tire, they have to remove the brake rod, so they adjust the brakes whether you ask them to or not, because they have to put it back to gether and make it work.

You could have a loose bolt as Shogun mentions. Mine pulses even though that's not the problem. Either my drum is out of round or there is some corrosion in there. I haven't quite figured it out.

windigo
Old 03-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #5001
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
I've jumped around through the thread, but haven't read it all.

Whats the thought here on replacement tires?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #5002
Charliedog43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Replacement tires?

That's a very open-ended question. The answer depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing primarily: purely street, mostly street with the occassional gravel road-such as myself, more aggressive dirt riding, or mostly dirt riding on tires that still have to be street legal. Chances are you won't be doing track days-altho maybe someone somewhere is, and won't be taking the interstate coast-to-coast, but other than that the choices are only limited by the sizes available. I'm leaning toward the Kenda K761's-80/20 street oriented tires, however it's rather unusual to have the same tire for either front or rear application.

Larry aka CharlieDog
Bristol, TN
Charliedog43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #5003
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Bit of an update

I've just replaced my rear stock tire with the shinko 244. I've done about 200 miles and so far they are great. I leave for Army basic training in a month and a half, right now i'm very paranoid about getting injured out on the bike so i'm not really riding it much.

I've not checked the issue with the rear brake pedal yet, my ricochet skid plate arrived and I fitted that today, looks really sweet, though I found the brackets very fiddly to fit.

I got the moose expedition saddlebags off ebay (display model without the straps/harness) they fit pretty well as they are semi rigid and the exhaust heat shield keeps the bag off the exhaust. I contacted Moose Racing and they are very kindly sending me some new straps and decals, so much credit to them. Future mods will be the pro taper handlebars with barkbusters and the cyclerack rear rack. Is the large cyclerack rack required to hold a sleeping bag and thermarest as I see a lot of bikes on here holding some serious loadouts, surely not all of them have racks.

I've been riding local trails with the wife on the back. It is doable but not comfortable for long periods. We have been on hilly roads, fast roads (55mph) and the bike faired well, gas mileage dropped to around 60mpg with all the extra revving. I have traversed creeks and some seriously muddy creeks, I'm damn tired of cleaning the bike. I wouldn't mind also buying a klr650 in 6 months. Hopefully I will be based in Fort Carson, Colorado, as I don't like riding in the blair witch woods of Alabama.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #5004
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Mostly gravel, some trails, whatever pavement I need to get to gravel, street legal, not racing.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #5005
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Anybody tried mounting a pelican case to their DR200? I have the big cycleracks rack and I'm thinking about getting a pelican case and finding some kind of brackets to hold it on. Would make a great tool case.
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #5006
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Someone in this thread (within the last 3 months) stated they have the same cyclerack and a pelican case mounted to it, I cannot recall who it is.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #5007
HeReTiK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Someone in this thread (within the last 3 months) stated they have the same cyclerack and a pelican case mounted to it, I cannot recall who it is.
Looks like Highaltidude has a pelican case on his rack. SWEET. I shot him a PM, hopefully he will share how he mounted his case.
HeReTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #5008
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Just picked this up for my 5' tall wife:

2003, 940 miles, $1950. Guy was selling it for his 72 year old dad so I expect it saw gentle use.
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #5009
Klay
dreaming adventurer

windigo
Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #5010
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Was that bike lowered ? I must be missing something if not. No 5'-0" person would even be able to swing their leg over my DR, let alone touch the ground. I was hoping that my 5'-6" girlfriend woiuld be able to ride mine. But just standing next to it, I was like No Way.
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote