Ewwww. I WANNA GO!
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #5057
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog43 View Post
Just picked up a 2003 with 728 miles on it. Drove to Owensboro, KY, 400 miles. 6.5 hours of driving time each way. I've since found out the seller had less than fully disclosed some details about the bike, one of which is the bike will not idle when fully warmed up. I 'took it around the block' before taking delivery, and the idle problem did not present itself, but I had since ridden it further, and everytime I came to a stop it died. I kept turning the idle up until it was racing, but as soon as I turned the idle down it would die. It always restarted, so I made it back home.
I suspect I'm headed to cleaning the carb, and after reading various posts about this problem it sounds easy to do. The gist is to loosen the clamps on the boots, rotate the carb, and remove the float bowl. I took a close look at it today, and I would suspect the throttle cable also needs to be dis-connected at the carb, as well as the gas and vacuum lines.
It would problably also be a good time to drill out the idle mixture plug and check the petcock for leaks.
Any other heads up would be appreciated. TIA

Larry aka CharlieDog
Bristol, TN
Hey Larry,

While you're in there, check the float needle and seat, and especially, the o-ring on the seat. Remove the screw that holds the seat in place and check to see that the o-ring is still soft and and not hardened/shrunk. Replace it, if in doubt. It can cause rough/unpredictable idling. Also, check to see that the vacuum line to the petcock from the carb is dry and not leaking fuel, as the DR petcock is prone to failure (it's vacuum operated). If it's wet, you have to replace the petcock (it's not repairable), but there are ATV (Raptor) petcocks that fit well, and will solve your problem (be sure to cap the vacuum line if you replace the petcock with a non-vacuum one).

Jet's are very tiny, so take care cleaning them.

Don't worry, you'll get it running.
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #5058
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
If you gave a shout out in regionals, I bet you'd find somebody.
Wow - I put a shout out in regionals. Apparently not a friendly forum. Won't be headed back there.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #5059
patski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
change/mount tires

I always watch this video before I change tires, it's a great help.
http://motocross.transworld.net/1000...p-tire-change/

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
I would love to find someone to teach me how to mount tires - I think this would be some incredibly valuable knowledge to have out in the field on my rides...but alas...no one I know knows how to do this...
Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #5060
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,135
Quote:
Wow - I put a shout out in regionals. Apparently not a friendly forum. Won't be headed back there.
Don't let one crank run you off.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #5061
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
I'm slowly reading through this whole forum and have seen the question asked, but not answered: Is there a plastic tank that can be made to fit the 200? Perhaps from another bike? I'm not worried about capacity, I just want something less dent-able. Any weight savings couldn't hurt either, even if it is only ounces.

While we're at it, what about rear fenders? That rear rack makes things tricky.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #5062
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patski View Post
I always watch this video before I change tires, it's a great help.
http://motocross.transworld.net/1000...p-tire-change/

That is a sweet video! That makes me want to try it! I bought the tires today. Paid $70 for the both of them. I will get this tire change done if it's the last thing I do!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #5063
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
That is a sweet video! That makes me want to try it! I bought the tires today. Paid $70 for the both of them. I will get this tire change done if it's the last thing I do!

That's a pretty good video. You don't have a rim lock to contend with. Be careful not to put a lot of pressure on the brake rotor...you don't want to bend it. One hard part is getting the second bead on the rim without accidently pinching the inner tube with the tire iron.

Klay screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 01:22 PM
Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #5064
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
That's a pretty good video. You don't have a rim lock to contend with. Be carefully not to put a lot of pressure on the brake rotor...you don't want to bend it. One hard part is getting the second bead on the rim without accidently pinching the inner tube with the tire iron.
I found a really clean version of it with a lot of good close ups.

http://youtu.be/BE1qG9iQZlg
Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #5065
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I watched those videos too.
I changed dozens of tires on bicycles, and I do all the maintence and repairs on my motorcycles.
But for the life of me, I could not get the bead over the edge of the rim with the tire iron.
I felt like I was going to Crush the rim prying it over. In fact, it sounded that way too, so I stopped.

Anybody can make it look Easy on a video, if you have the rights tools AND you have done it many times.

AKohler883 screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 01:42 PM
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #5066
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKohler883 View Post
I changed dozens of tires on bicycles, and I do all the maintence and repairs on my motorcycles.
But for the life of me, I could not get the bead over the edge of the rim with the tire iron.
I felt like I was going to Crush the rim prying it over. In fact, it sounded that way too, so I stopped.

Anybody can make it look Easy on a video, if you have the rights tools AND you have done it many times.

Make sure you lube up the bead and make sure the beads on the opposite side of the wheel are pinched together toward the center of the rim so you have a little room to work with.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #5067
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I'm slowly reading through this whole forum and have seen the question asked, but not answered: Is there a plastic tank that can be made to fit the 200? Perhaps from another bike? I'm not worried about capacity, I just want something less dent-able. Any weight savings couldn't hurt either, even if it is only ounces.

While we're at it, what about rear fenders? That rear rack makes things tricky.

I don't think there is an aftermarket tank for the dr200 as stock its a good size. If i didnt want the tank to get dented I'd get a tank saddlebag and pack it with some spare socks, t shirt etc to change into when your wet and it will give padding to the tank.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #5068
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:

Klay beat me to it. The trick or key is as he said, make sure the opposite side that you're working on is pushed down into the "drop center". It's that grove in the middle of the wheel where your spokes are that will allow the tire to be spooned on over the edge of the wheel. My tire changer came with a couple "second hands". Kind of a clamp that will keep the tire pushed down into the drop center, makes tire changes way easier.

You can do the same thing with your hand, but when trying to run 3 spoons, these really help. Growing an extra arm and hand never hurts either.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #5069
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Where can I go to find rear brakes for my DR ?
I went to EBC Brakes website, and it is totally useless.
I do believe that the Vesrah part number is VB-302, but I am not 100% sure

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/v/...I/DR200SE-2006
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #5070
patski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
The lube is really important, esp with 19" motocross tires, I keep a can of silicon spray handy for the last couple of inches.

Rocky Mountain has the Tusk "bead buddy" for $10.

Quote:
Make sure you lube up the bead and make sure the beads on the opposite side of the wheel are pinched together toward the center of the rim so you have a little room to work with.