User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #5071
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
The lube is really important, esp with 19" motocross tires, I keep a can of silicon spray handy for the last couple of inches.
I've always heard that you shouldn't use any type of lubricant that can potentially stick around on the tire bead - makes it easier for the tire to slide on the bead and you might shear a valve stem. Soapy water works, although some say the soap can harm the finish on the rim. I used soapy water for years without any issues. Plus I wash my bike a lot more often than I remove the tires. Windex seems to be a good, non-controversial choice. Only drawback to either of these is that they dry quick so you have to keep reapplying more as you go.

Oh and you want hell? Change a tire on a kid's motorcycle.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #5072
kafkamars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
rear axil

so, i found out about this a few days ago when i was putting my motor back in the bike after putting a new base gasket in the motor and checking everything which turnrd out prettyt ok (my base gasket was leaking oil for the last 3000 miles) it was fine. The motor was just collecting road stuff cuz it had oil all over it so i figured id finally fix it. but anyway i was putzin with the rear weel and realized that the wheel had play in it (about a 1/4 inch side to side) and when i tried to take the axil out it seems as tho the bearing welded itself to the axil! so yea.... i have 10000 miles on her and the last o i dont know, 1500 ish are 30 highway miles a day at 60-70mph and i have known for the last 5000 miles i should have kept an eye on the wheels, so i guess its my fault. so, any ideas on how to get the axil out, ha, yea my regular hammer wuznt enough, i might borrow my buddys 4 lb slege but just wondering if theres anytricks before i brake something else? .. btw rock on all shade tree mechanics
kafkamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #5073
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I've always heard that you shouldn't use any type of lubricant that can potentially stick around on the tire bead - makes it easier for the tire to slide on the bead and you might shear a valve stem. Soapy water works, although some say the soap can harm the finish on the rim. I used soapy water for years without any issues. Plus I wash my bike a lot more often than I remove the tires. Windex seems to be a good, non-controversial choice. Only drawback to either of these is that they dry quick so you have to keep reapplying more as you go.

My personal favorite is vinyl or rubber dressing for car interiors. It starts slick as snot, and then gets soaked up by the tire and tube.

And hell is mounting/demounting a semi truck tire by hand. Been there...done that.
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #5074
Motardo
Commuter

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafkamars View Post
so, any ideas on how to get the axil out, ha, yea my regular hammer wuznt enough, i might borrow my buddys 4 lb slege but just wondering if theres anytricks before i brake something else? .. btw rock on all shade tree mechanics
No tricks, just a BIG hammer! Don't hammer directly on the axle, because if you smash the threads you wont get the axle nut back on. Use a drift on the center of the axle and hammer on that. Wear thick gloves, or have a good friend hold the drift. Sounds like you want to replace the wheel bearings anyway, so use some heat on them to help get the axle out.
Motardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #5075
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
Quote:

The only time I use a tire lube that leaves a tacky bead is on tubeless wheels and when I feel that the tire could possibly spin on the rim.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #5076
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
Anyone know where I can get a new full rear rim with spokes for the DR200? I have the XP200 which is an exact copy of the DR200 except for the oil filter which is a DRZ400 filter everything else is exactly same. My rear wheel keeps breaking spokes and I'm not ordering stock spokes or spending loads of money to make it invisible instead I want a Suzuki rim with spokes. The spokes on the XP200 seems to have copper in the middle (to me seems like they are the cheapest of the cheap spokes) and the rim doesn't seem that durable either.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #5077
knowlsey
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK View Post
Seeing that brand new frame is making me want to strip my bike down and paint the frame....

Was going to paint the frame myself, decided to check how much for a strip and powder coat, only 60 not worth messing around with paint for that price, and looks like new

just need to find out whats holding the damn thing back, after rejet and air box mod
knowlsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #5078
knowlsey
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I like the round headlights on the Djebel. Not sure what's holding your bike back, though. I did the Kientech mods on my 200 and it still tops out at 72 mph. I tried changing sprockets once to bring highway rpms down once, but decided that the bike felt too bogged down and returned to the stock 15/45 sprockets.

not sure what holding it back, i have literally stripped the bike to its bare bones and ground up rebuild, had to drill a few more extra holes in the air box as this was causing it to bog out, may take the lid off the air box alltogether and see what that does, if that works then a pod filter may be the answer
knowlsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #5079
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlsey View Post
Was going to paint the frame myself, decided to check how much for a strip and powder coat, only 60 not worth messing around with paint for that price, and looks like new

just need to find out whats holding the damn thing back, after rejet and air box mod
New wheel? SHS powersports?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #5080
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
My wife's DR200:

amtz.zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #5081
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

I like it. Painted plastics? Whatcha got going on with that rear fender?
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 03-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #5082
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
I like it. Painted plastics? Whatcha got going on with that rear fender?
Yep, plastics were painted with "krylon fusion for plastics" and the bike has a drz400 rear fender on it. It took some cutting but I was able to get it on there. It also has an "edge" tail light.
amtz.zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #5083
onyajonesy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
fuel wise

hi dr dudes... just a quick question..... what is the mileage you get out of the/your dr200? cheers jonesy.
onyajonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #5084
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtz.zero View Post
Yep, plastics were painted with "krylon fusion for plastics" and the bike has a drz400 rear fender on it. It took some cutting but I was able to get it on there. It also has an "edge" tail light.

Can I see a closeup of that rear fender? The wife hates the stock fender and has tasked me with "fixing it".
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #5085
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyajonesy View Post
hi dr dudes... just a quick question..... what is the mileage you get out of the/your dr200? cheers jonesy.
Here's my log on mine.

Most of the riding is highway riding > 50mph. The 89mpg I got on the first stretch of the Hoosier National Forest ride last year.
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote