Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #5086
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyajonesy View Post
hi dr dudes... just a quick question..... what is the mileage you get out of the/your dr200? cheers jonesy.
60-70 miles to the gallon under the hard use mine sees.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #5087
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
anybody got any spare rear spokes ? i need 3 or 4.
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #5088
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Can I see a closeup of that rear fender? The wife hates the stock fender and has tasked me with "fixing it".
Here is a top view (you can see that is attached to the "rack"):

View from underneath:

And a side view:

And here is a random picture that I just like :

amtz.zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #5089
ReddySan
n00b

Oddometer: 1
My new pony.

hello inmates!

just got myself a 99 dr200. kindda having weird feeling to ride this bike cos i was jumping off from a dl1000 to the present dr. i am excited about the fuel consumption though. ive been reading to learn more about the dr. and i have a few qn.

1. If i am gonna use 16t at the front, any precaution that i have to take note off? pro and cons of it? 16 front which is hard and expensive to source or 39 rear which is cheaper to buy?
  2. I noticed that when my bike is riding, the wheel is 'slanted to the left'. ride feel seems ok but i do not know how to compare to a normal aligned dr. this is the first time i see a bike with a wheel not perpendicular to the road. i dont think it is the rim issues as well. i am suspecting that it is the bearing or axle. could it be the sprocket as well?
  3. Gutted to find that there isnt much after market product for our bike. I want to have the headlight rack on the DR just like the Trojan!! How do I find it?
  4. Sealed or non sealed chain for the bike? I am leaning towards the unsealed as I feel that the unsealed is more than enough for the little 200 engine. I may be wrong.

I miss the torgue and power of the DL beast but this DR keeps me amuse and i like that. Thanks for enlightening me up on the DR. Ride safe

Cheers guys!

ReddySan screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 06:31 PM
ReddySan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #5090
onyajonesy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ta

THANKS KLAY, GODWINMT..
I ALWAYS LIKED THE BIKE FOR EXPLORING, LIGHT,RELIABLE AND A SUZUKI...
onyajonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #5091
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

i took my front sprocket cover off last night and found that my front sprocket is "floating" on the output shaft. It slides in and out on the shaft about an inch ... I assume that is Not Good .... must be missing some kind of spacer or something.
Every time I work on this bike, I curse out the last owner. Some people should stay away from tools.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #5092
ramotorcycle
Trail Rider

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyajonesy View Post
hi dr dudes... just a quick question..... what is the mileage you get out of the/your dr200? cheers jonesy.
I get right around 90 mpg. That's usually in-town or trails--25-40 mph. I can ride easy or hard and get that. I'm 145 lbs.

'95 DR350S
'00 DR200SE
'96 XR250L
'95 XR250R
'08 CRF230L
ramotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #5093
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

my DR at the moment

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #5094
Charliedog43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
petcock failure

The saga continues on my new to me 2003 728 mi Owensboro, KY, DR200. I'm even more convinced the seller was less than completely honest. After my first ride when it wouldn't idle I was prepared to do a complete carb cleaning, but decided to run some Sea Foam thru it first. I dumped a can into the gas tank and rode away from home yesterday afternoon. I got four miles down the road when the bike started jerking and bucking as tho it was misfiring. I turned around and tried to limp home but got only half way when it died. I pushed it up the hills and jumped on it and rode it down the hills-there are no flat roads by my house. I'm sure many readers have been there & done that...

I got home and disconnected the gas line at the petcock so I could rotate the carb, but as soon as I loosened the line the gas ran out of the petcock-not just drips but a steady stream. What are the odds of sudden, massive petcock failure? Could the Sea Foam have caused the petcock failure?

Then when I walked around to the other side of the bike after emptying the gas tank I noticed the oil level in the sight window was above full-with the bike on the side stand! Obviously gas in the oil. I set the bike on a Pit Bull rear stand-love a small, light bike-and removed the oil drain plug, and at least two quarts drained out-more than 50/50 gas/oil mix. My second concern is possible damage due to the dilluting of the oil-clutch, bearings, etc?

I have a Yamaha 23F petcock on order and plan to replace that first, obviously, before I do anything with the carb.

Any other heads up would be appreciated.

Larry aka CharlieDog
Bristol, TN
Charliedog43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #5095
SHO_GuN
Adventurerer

Oddometer: 44
When the petcock fails to where it just doesn't shut off, there are no symptoms. It's the same as a manual petcock left in the on position.

Your symptoms are the exact same as mine where when I had a petcock that wouldn't shut off and the o-ring around my needle valve failed.

If you put a whole can of Sea Foam in your bike, that could be why it quit running. IIRC the max dose recommended is only 2 ounces per gallon.
SHO_GuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #5096
Klay
dreaming adventurer

You have to watch it with SeaFoam. It can dissolve varnish in the tank and flush it into the jets and clog them up.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #5097
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

front sprocket

so i looked at the parts diagram, last item on the shaft before the sprocket is the "driveshaft oil seal retainer" and it has a bolt that holds it in place. I have that installed ... so then there is only a sprocket, a washer, and the bolt that holds it on. ..... it my Sprocket supposed to float on the shaft ?? it just looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #5098
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKohler883 View Post
so i looked at the parts diagram, last item on the shaft before the sprocket is the "driveshaft oil seal retainer" and it has a bolt that holds it in place. I have that installed ... so then there is only a sprocket, a washer, and the bolt that holds it on. ..... it my Sprocket supposed to float on the shaft ?? it just looks like an accident waiting to happen.
I'd have to look at mine to know for sure, but it's not unusual to have a floating sprocket so that the sprocket self-aligns with the rear sprocket.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #5099
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
taking the wheels off...

How easy is it for a novice wrench to mess something up when taking the wheels off the bike? Especially the back one? Is there a guide posted anywhere that I can look at in the forums for reference so I don't go messing something up when I do it?

Thanks!
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #5100
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
How easy is it for a novice wrench to mess something up when taking the wheels off the bike? Especially the back one? Is there a guide posted anywhere that I can look at in the forums for reference so I don't go messing something up when I do it?

Thanks!
It should be easy. Have a friend with you to help. Don't let the bike fall over on you. Take note of where the adjusters are (the little snail thingies on each side of the axle bolt that holds the rear wheel on) and just put it all back together the same way it came apart. You have to take off the brake rod and the lever that holds the brake drum in position, too.

The front wheel is even easier. Sometimes it's a little fussy putting it back together because you have to get all the axle spacers lined up and the brake rotor in between the brake pads at the same time. So you sort of need three hands at times. Those of use who are experienced have sprouted a third hand, but you could just get your friend to help.