User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #5176
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
From PA to TX...

Okay - here's a weird twist of events in my life... Turns out we're moving to Texas from PA (the other half got a job there). Any advice for what I should do differently for the bike? I have no idea where we're going yet, other than Houston. I lived there many years ago but never had a motorcycle while I was there so I'm not sure if there's any specifics that go along with having a bike in weather like that. Not sure if I'll have a garage either...
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #5177
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
Okay - here's a weird twist of events in my life... Turns out we're moving to Texas from PA (the other half got a job there). Any advice for what I should do differently for the bike? I have no idea where we're going yet, other than Houston. I lived there many years ago but never had a motorcycle while I was there so I'm not sure if there's any specifics that go along with having a bike in weather like that. Not sure if I'll have a garage either...

I just moved from Corpus back to Ca. If you have a garage, and you want to be able to work in it, make sure it doesn't face south or west. During the summer afternoon, my west-facing garage was hotter than my attic.

Jetting should be about the same for sea level. If you don't ride after a cold front then just keep your jetting for warm temps. There's really no reason to ride in the cold if you want to avoid it. You'll regularly get temps in the 80's even in the middle of winter.

Corrosion will be more of an issue so keep your bike clean and everything lubed. If your bike is going to be stored outdoors, regularly wipe it down with Protect All for the UV inhibitors (http://www.protectall.com/).

You'll have to get your bike inspected. Make sure you have DOT tires w/ plenty of tread, working lights, horn, etc. If the bike has blinkers on them, they have to work. Part of the inspection will involve you accelerating to 20mph and braking hard in a straight line to test the brakes.

You might check these sites for info on trails and such:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthreads.php

http://twtex.com/
Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #5178
Charliedog43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Off the wall tire question

This may be off the wall, but has anyone put street bike tires on his/her DR200? The reason I ask is my riding will be 90-95% pavement, and at times aggressive cornering. I was looking thru the Tucker Rocky catalog and noticed Avon has some street bike tires in the right size, and the only off-pavement riding I would do is gravel roads in the nearby Nat'l Forests. If using dual sport tires, what tires have the best dry-pavement performance-and no, I don't plan on doing any track days w/ my 200.

Larry aka CharlieDog
Bristol, TN
Charliedog43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #5179
AKohler883
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
what Avon model are you looking at ? when I asked them at a show about my DR and using it more for street than dirt, they quoted me a tire that looked very Street-like. I just can not recal what the model was off hand. And I don't know where I put that Avon catalog.

just looked it up. looks like AM43 / AM44 Distazia was the one

AKohler883 screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 10:33 AM
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #5180
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 464
I ran Avon Distanzias on mine last year. They are more of a 95/5 tire (fine on hard pack, just clogged up too easy on mud). I ran a 80/90-21 front, and a 110/80-18 rear. They are a tubeless tire that can be run with a tube, just remember to use plenty of lube when getting the bead to seat and don't worry about putting too much pressure in them. I needed to run mine north of 90psi to get the bead to fully seat.
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #5181
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
I just moved from Corpus back to Ca. If you have a garage, and you want to be able to work in it, make sure it doesn't face south or west. During the summer afternoon, my west-facing garage was hotter than my attic.

Jetting should be about the same for sea level. If you don't ride after a cold front then just keep your jetting for warm temps. There's really no reason to ride in the cold if you want to avoid it. You'll regularly get temps in the 80's even in the middle of winter.

Corrosion will be more of an issue so keep your bike clean and everything lubed. If your bike is going to be stored outdoors, regularly wipe it down with Protect All for the UV inhibitors (http://www.protectall.com/).

You'll have to get your bike inspected. Make sure you have DOT tires w/ plenty of tread, working lights, horn, etc. If the bike has blinkers on them, they have to work. Part of the inspection will involve you accelerating to 20mph and braking hard in a straight line to test the brakes.

You might check these sites for info on trails and such:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthreads.php

http://twtex.com/
Great advice! Thank you!!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #5182
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Nicer Weather Finally!

Getting some riding time in finally! Took a sunset ride last evening...

Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #5183
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Sharp pictures!

Just finished setting the DR up for the Kentuckiana Icebreaker ride this weekend with the addition of the tube bag on the front fender and the skid plate. The skid plate is the MSR skid plate labled both for a TW200 and the DR200SE, but it did require some modification to fit...namely 1 hole drilled in it and 2 spacers made for the front of it. Outside of that though, it fits nicely and is beefier than a brick shithouse.

I also added the rear tool tube off of the trunk and the homemade trail stand to the top of that.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #5184
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Sharp pictures!

Just finished setting the DR up for the Kentuckiana Icebreaker ride this weekend with the addition of the tube bag on the front fender and the skid plate. The skid plate is the MSR skid plate labled both for a TW200 and the DR200SE, but it did require some modification to fit...namely 1 hole drilled in it and 2 spacers made for the front of it. Outside of that though, it fits nicely and is beefier than a brick shithouse.

I also added the rear tool tube off of the trunk and the homemade trail stand to the top of that.

Damn I like the way your bike looks!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #5185
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,283
Yes, a very nice looking setup.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #5186
AKohler883
Adventurer

what is a "Trail Stand" ?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #5187
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKohler883 View Post
what is a "Trail Stand" ?

It's essentially a small lightweight jackstand that you can use to get a tire off the ground. Here's a picture of the commercial version:

Essentially if I get a flat etc. while out cruising (has happened), I put the sidestand down, and then whether the flat is on the front or rear, rock the bike onto the other wheel and the sidestand and place the trail stand under the other side to block it up:

I'll take a picture of mine, but the big difference with mine is that instead of having the inner rod have holes in it which a pin goes through, I welded a nut to the top of the outer rod, and the inner rod is a piece of allthread.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #5188
AKohler883
Adventurer

interesting. something like that could even come in handy in the garage.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #5189
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Or you could get a Tubeliss and a plug kit and not bother with removing the wheel at all.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #5190
Charliedog43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Avon street tires

AKohler,
The Avon street tires that caught my eye are the RoadRider AM26. Available in 90/90-21 and five different rear sizes from 4.00 to 120/80-18 that look like possibilities. The price is rather steep tho. It looks like the Distanzias are designed for bigger, heavier bikes.
From what I've researched so far, it looks like the IRC GP-110s might be the most street oriented tires for the DR200.

Larry aka CharlieDog
Bristol, TN
Charliedog43 is offline   Reply With Quote