Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #5221
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog43 View Post
Just a thought, if you don't have a wiring diagram, the connector with the green wire is the connector for the right turn signal-with the black/white stripe wire being the ground. The other connector, obviously, is for the left turn signal. The rear connectors should be located in a vinyl wrapped pack above the battery-the same two connectors, the same color coding. And parts for 1996 on model years should work with no problems-different colors for the plastic maybe. Parts from model year 1995 and older might, or might not, work-no guarantees. Good luck.

Larry aka CharlieDog
Bristol, TN
I'm glad CharlieDog clarified this: 1996 saw a few changes to the DR200, so, to be safe, try to get parts from 1996 on. Many things from earlier years will work, but unless you know for sure, it's safer to stick with 1996 or later stuff.

The on-line parts diagrams, like at Cheapcycleparts, are great for seeing how things go together, and for (of course) ordering a few missing pieces. Just remember, though, little stuff can be very expensive, and it adds up fast. Finding used stuff with all the little pieces attached is what you should shoot for...

And there is a wiring diagram posted somewhere here on this forum, have a look around.

Good luck.
Sateev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #5222
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sateev View Post
And there is a wiring diagram posted somewhere here on this forum, have a look around.

Good luck.

^^
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #5223
shawn_nj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Having a problem with a DR200. The starter turns over but it spins very slowly, and will slow down to a almost stop on the compression stroke, then spin again slowly, then stop again. Thought it was the battery and put a new charged one in it....same result. Bypassed the starter using jumper cables and bypassed all the wiring / relay and it still does it. I am ready to order a new starter, but before I did just wanted to get some other opinions. I noticed the DR does not have a worm gear type starter clutch, having the ring style. Do these fail oftern and if they do will it produce the weak starts that I am seeing on this bike? The starter will sometime turn over fast enough to start the bike but its very random and most of the time it is too slow/stopping to get the motor going.

Thanks in advance fo any help.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #5224
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_nj View Post
Having a problem with a DR200. The starter turns over but it spins very slowly, and will slow down to a almost stop on the compression stroke, then spin again slowly, then stop again. Thought it was the battery and put a new charged one in it....same result. Bypassed the starter using jumper cables and bypassed all the wiring / relay and it still does it. I am ready to order a new starter, but before I did just wanted to get some other opinions. I noticed the DR does not have a worm gear type starter clutch, having the ring style. Do these fail oftern and if they do will it produce the weak starts that I am seeing on this bike? The starter will sometime turn over fast enough to start the bike but its very random and most of the time it is too slow/stopping to get the motor going.

Thanks in advance fo any help.
The service manual says nothing about the drive gear or starter clutch in the starter troubleshooting section. It basically says to try using a jumper direct from the battery (which you did), and if it doesn't crank, repair/replace the starter motor.

It talks about measuring the armature for shorts/opens, and about replacing the brushes (which is where I would look first). However, the parts book I have has no reference to the brushes. Possibly, one of the online ones shows a part number for the brushes. If not, an automotive electric shop may have something that can be made to fit. Cheaper than a whole new starter, I'll bet...

If it works intermittently, it's a good bet that the brushes are bad. While you have it out, you can polish the commutator with some 400 grit emery paper, too. If you can get some brushes that will work, it will probably last a long time.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #5225
shawn_nj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sateev View Post
The service manual says nothing about the drive gear or starter clutch in the starter troubleshooting section. It basically says to try using a jumper direct from the battery (which you did), and if it doesn't crank, repair/replace the starter motor.

It talks about measuring the armature for shorts/opens, and about replacing the brushes (which is where I would look first). However, the parts book I have has no reference to the brushes. Possibly, one of the online ones shows a part number for the brushes. If not, an automotive electric shop may have something that can be made to fit. Cheaper than a whole new starter, I'll bet...

If it works intermittently, it's a good bet that the brushes are bad. While you have it out, you can polish the commutator with some 400 grit emery paper, too. If you can get some brushes that will work, it will probably last a long time.
Thanks I've done the brush replacement on 2 starters before, but always had them crap out again within a year or two. (probably due to my handy work) Its a friends bike and they just want it to start reliably. I am just going to slap a new starter in there for them and call it a day. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #5226
Sateev
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, if it's someone else's bike, I would do the same.

Reconditioning the armature will make new brushes last a lot longer, but to do it right, you need some special equipment. I used to have a guy in San Diego who would turn the commutator in a lathe, cut the mica between the segments and replace the bearings, all for about $20...but those days are gone. Here, in Thailand, the same service costs about $3.00, but finding someone who knows how to do it right is harder...

Have fun.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #5227
DCC!!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
So what do you guys do when you need a new top end? I have an 86 sp 200 and cant find ANY info for it. From what i have read the lt230 is pretty much the same engine with a different stroke but the same bore, so will the lt230 top end kit work for a sp 200?
DCC!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #5228
Farfolomew
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Searching for parts

Hello fellow DR200 owners and geniuses. I'm planning on scouring the local junk yards for DR200s for parts, but before I do I was curious if you know of any other bikes that would have these compatible parts for my '97 DR200SE:

1. Air Cleaner (whole assembly)
2. Side panels (frame covers), any color
3. Rear wheel chain guard
Farfolomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #5229
AKohler883
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I am getting much closer to getting mine on the road after owning it for 2 months.
I finally got the title the other day, and now there is a license plate on it as well.
I got the correct front sprocket for the bike, and it no longer "floats".

I have to finish putting the rear wheel back on after having the new tires installed on the wheels, fill it with gas, and hope that the new needle / seat and Yamaha petcock took care of all my fuel issues.

Exhaust is all painted up nice, new plastics, and new (used) seat, so it should look decent going down the road.
I will take a picture on my first sucessfull outing and post.

wish me luck getting it running and inspected. (as soon as my Emgo DR mirrors get here)
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #5230
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKohler883 View Post
I am getting much closer to getting mine on the road after owning it for 2 months.
I finally got the title the other day, and now there is a license plate on it as well.
I got the correct front sprocket for the bike, and it no longer "floats".

I have to finish putting the rear wheel back on after having the new tires installed on the wheels, fill it with gas, and hope that the new needle / seat and Yamaha petcock took care of all my fuel issues.

Exhaust is all painted up nice, new plastics, and new (used) seat, so it should look decent going down the road.
I will take a picture on my first sucessfull outing and post.

wish me luck getting it running and inspected. (as soon as my Emgo DR mirrors get here)

If you were worried about a front sprocket that moved a bit on the shaft then that's ok. That's the cheap and easy way of handling drivechain misalignments. I've heard of people stacking washers on bikes that did that and then they kept throwing chains.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #5231
AKohler883
Adventurer

this was a case of having the wrong sprocket (maybe from a different bike) that did not have the "collar" on the gear itself. It was just flat on both sides. It woud move around approximately 1/4 - 3/8"
Someone had put a different rear wheel, rear sprocket, chain and big knobby tire on the bike. It ran, but it made some nasty clicking noises. Now everything is back to STOCK.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #5232
stringsmovie
stringsmovie

Oddometer: 13
Question Max load for a DR200?

I'm taking a trip from Los Angeles through Central and South America and, after reading some of the minimalist touring thread, am considering taking my DR200. BUT....I have a lady friend who wants to come along. She's about 115 and I'm 200 lbs so I'm trying to figure out if the bike can handle that many miles with both of us plus gear? It's a 2006 with less than 1000 miles on it. I've been riding for 18 years but always on really low maintenance bikes so I haven't had to deal with any major issues and am not exactly mechanically inclined. Any advice on preplanning would be greatly appreciated.
stringsmovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #5233
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringsmovie View Post
I'm taking a trip from Los Angeles through Central and South America and, after reading some of the minimalist touring thread, am considering taking my DR200. BUT....I have a lady friend who wants to come along. She's about 115 and I'm 200 lbs so I'm trying to figure out if the bike can handle that many miles with both of us plus gear? It's a 2006 with less than 1000 miles on it. I've been riding for 18 years but always on really low maintenance bikes so I haven't had to deal with any major issues and am not exactly mechanically inclined. Any advice on preplanning would be greatly appreciated.
The bike could probably handle it in terms of durability. It's as simple and rugged as an anvil, for the most part. But you'd be pretty cramped for space (maybe not all a bad thing ) and the rear shock would be overloaded. You'd be doing a lot of first gear work at altitude. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment taking the 200 if I was going solo, though. There are guys who have done exactly that recently. The light weight and small size really are advantages sometimes. It's probably a better bike for Central America than South America.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #5234
AKohler883
Adventurer

Stopped at Advance Auto tonight. Found Krylon 'True Blue' spray paint that appears it may match my frame well. Final touches :-)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #5235
jamoka3
Veritas Aequitas

Oddometer: 24
Air Filter and exhaust set up, questions?

I wanted to get the FMF Q4 and run it with the stock carb setup till i have time to re-jet the carb. Will there be any issues with this?

I was thinking of running a UNI air filter on the stock carb, removing the top of the air box for better air flow and bolting on the FMF Q4 pipe...how does that sound?

Then when i get the re-jet kit ill re-tune it with the new jets installed..
any suggestions?
jamoka3 is offline   Reply With Quote